"Longhorn" expected to be named Windows Vista

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

"Longhorn" expected to be named Windows Vista

Post by Neo »

My first news post!! w00t! ^_^ I think the name sounds interesting. Apparently, though, the people at Anandtech don't. LOL! What do you guys, the DBB tech people think? ^_~
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Sounds like a shitty car.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: "Longhorn" expected to be named Windows Vista

Post by BUBBALOU »

Neo wrote: What do you guys, the DBB tech people think? ^_~
I think you shoud stop using so many aliases Samus...

As for M$'s plans for Longhorn... we'll see what happens.

^_~
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

That name's downright terrible. :P It's not like I'm going to bother upgrading any time soon, anyway.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Sounds stupid.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

It's too hard to say. I don't like it. MS should just make it Windows 2006 or 2007, whenever it comes out. Or better yet, Windows XP ^ 3 assuming they make it with a 3d desktop. :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ugh. That name blows. Unfortunately, Paul Thurrot is also corroborating it. :(

Why not something simple, like Windows 6? To be honest, the year-naming scheme really wasn't that bad.
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

UGH @ Vista

Windows 6 sounds nice =)
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Whatever.

Its still Microsh14 Winbloz.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

It sucks. They should just sick with Longhorn even though its just a codename, it sounds alot better than Vista. But hey, its not like im going to be buying this OS anyway. Why not upgrade you ask? No reason too! Just say hello to the 'Windows ME' version for the NT series. I dont think its even NT5.2, is it?

Windows 2007 sounds much better.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: "Longhorn" expected to be named Windows Vista

Post by Neo »

BUBBALOU wrote: I think you shoud stop using so many aliases Samus...

As for M$'s plans for Longhorn... we'll see what happens.
"My name...is Neo." =P

I like the name, but I already think the OS sucks. No WinFS, and it uses up so many system resources, unlike Linux x86-64. Twice as much RAM required as Windows XP (2wice as nice! ^_~)! And Microsoft recommends "a modern CPU." heh! You guys all say you have no reason to upgrade, but why would anyone have a reason to upgrade when it's released? heh I don't even have the hardware for x86-64, and I'm not buying the 32-bit version. It's not very different from Windows XP SP2.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Theres also even more built-in DRM. Damn thing even has DRM for your monitor...
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Don't you think we're counting the chickens before they hatch? History has proven that the hysteria thrown around by articles and blogs and the sites that subsequently link to them as news usually doesn't make it into Windows, and, if it does, it's easily hacked out by even a three year old. Don't tell me you're still all bent out of shape over activation, are you?
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Jeff250 wrote:Don't you think we're counting the chickens before they hatch? History has proven that the hysteria thrown around by articles and blogs and the sites that subsequently link to them as news usually doesn't make it into Windows, and, if it does, it's easily hacked out by even a three year old. Don't tell me you're still all bent out of shape over activation, are you?
Seem to remember that someone once said "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Actually they may name it "Del boca Vista" :)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Nosferatu wrote:Seem to remember that someone once said "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
Unfortunately, I don't quite see this as the epic battle of good versus evil as some others do. And I hardly think that griping on an online bulletin board about a computer software product compares to the sacrifices made by our forefathers.

Before we criticize the software, let's at least wait until there's something substantial that we can actually point to or take a look at or until there's a final product.

edit: Like the name. That's been verified. And I'm not very impressed. :P
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

meh, it's just a name...

...I'm still going to at least try it when it's finally released, whever that is.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Jeff250 wrote:
Nosferatu wrote:Seem to remember that someone once said "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
Unfortunately, I don't quite see this as the epic battle of good versus evil as some others do. And I hardly think that griping on an online bulletin board about a computer software product compares to the sacrifices made by our forefathers.

Before we criticize the software, let's at least wait until there's something substantial that we can actually point to or take a look at or until there's a final product.

edit: Like the name. That's been verified. And I'm not very impressed. :P
The fact that there is already DRM slathered all over Media Player is enough for me to complain about. And yes I do see it as an epic battle of good verses evil because it is:

1. Deliberately writing in code into Windows 3.1 installer so that it would not install in DR-DOS reporting an error when you tried.

2. Getting documentation on the above detstroyed using a clever legal manuver.

3. Making Windows 95 Registration Wizard call home and report on software you have installed in your Windows 3.1

4. Bundling their own browser for free and integrating it tightly with the operating system just because Netscape told them to go FOAD.

5. NSAKEY

6. Funneling $100 million through third party channels to SCO when they heard SCO was sueing IBM over supposed copyrighted inclusions into Linux.

7. XP Windows Product Activation which implements what boils down to a unique identifying number for each computer, a scheme that Intel was crusified for when they tried to put the same idea in their processors.

8. And of course slathering DRM all over their software, whos true purpose is apparent to anyone with a brain and thats to make complient hardward only work on software that can not be GPLed because of non-disclosure agreements.

9. Lots of others that are slipping my mind at the moment. ( I know some of you can come up with more. If you want too, go ahead :P )

Sorry dude. The sheer weight of evidence says they ARE evil, and this IS a battle of good and evil.

I know that Windows 2000 is the very last Windows I will ever use. From now on its Linux + wine for me.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I'd call that business as usual. I'll let Longhorn (or "Vista") stand on its own merits when it's released. If not, there's always a Mac. Or maybe even the Great Outdoors. :P
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Jeff250 wrote:I'd call that business as usual. I'll let Longhorn (or "Vista") stand on its own merits when it's released. If not, there's always a Mac. Or maybe even the Great Outdoors. :P
I note you didnt mention Linux :P

And before you say it, yes you can indeed run REAL Microsoft Office under Linux. http://www.codeweavers.com/
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

Linux isn't ready for wide-scale desktop use and with the current attitudes within both the development and user community, it never will be.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Admiral LSD wrote:Linux isn't ready for wide-scale desktop use and with the current attitudes within both the development and user community, it never will be.
Tell that to google.

Edit: Oh ya. Just reminded myself of yet another lawsuit.

10. MS sueing the Linux shop google because they supposedly hired an ex-Microsoft executive.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

They're just a business. Most others would do the same sort of thing... if not worse.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Vista as a name, is A55.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Sirius wrote:They're just a business. Most others would do the same sort of thing... if not worse.
I might indeed agree if the bulk of these evils didnt impact the freedoms I enjoy in using my computer, so directly.

This is where I think my statement about eternal vigilance is indeed right on target.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Jeff250 wrote:Don't you think we're counting the chickens before they hatch?
Probably so, but nothing like getting the word out just incase it actually pans out.
History has proven that the hysteria thrown around by articles and blogs and the sites that subsequently link to them as news usually doesn't make it into Windows, and, if it does, it's easily hacked out by even a three year old. Don't tell me you're still all bent out of shape over activation, are you?
hah

Initially I did make a fuss over it. However, I never had to worry about that anyways. :) It may be painless, but I still object to being forced to register a piece of software I purchased legitimately.
Fighter17
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fighter17 »

I don't really care for the name, I'm happy with XP!! I may have XP until 2010 or 2014.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Neo wrote:What do you guys, the DBB tech people think? ^_~
I think it will be really peachy!! ^.^ TeeHee!~ But, wow, like maybe they could've come up with something better? >.<

Oh well! ^.~
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Image roffle