What's a good USB joystick for D2?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Grax
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

What's a good USB joystick for D2?

Post by Grax »

My friend's comp has no gameport so he can't use his SW 3D Pro. I've heard that the Saitek Cyborg 3D is a good USB joystick. Anyone recommend any others for Descent 2, or know whether the Saitek is any good (for D2)?

thanks

- Grax
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

The Cyborg has a very weak trigger which is very easy to break: it has holes in it (WTF?) which create weak points...

All modern joysticks - except for the very expensive Thrustmaster "HOTAS" setup are prone to failure after a while.

Search the forum here for a mod to make the gameport 3D Pro use a USB port.

Or, you could try the Logitech 3D Pro - which is a solid design, but for the HAT switch toggle, which wears out quickly.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

wth is with all you guys that are breaking Cyborg triggers?? I mean really. take a paxil. :) I have a Cyborg 3D Gold and it's the best 30 bucks I've spent on my computer. I've had it for about 3 years now.

Seriously, it takes well over 20 pounds of pressure to break this trigger. If you are snapping those off, I suggest some yoga classes. The new Logitech sticks are good too. I got my daughter a Logi Extreme 3D Pro and its a nice stick. I recommend that one too.

Also, realize that hats wearing out too fast is from sliding done on the Hat and I suspect with the same slug-squshing force that is snapping off triggers.

I was not happy with any of the Microsoft stick ultimately, although many here swear by nothing else. And I think that they prize them not unfoundedly.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo that I'm very happy with. I don't see how anyone short of a gorilla could possibly break the trigger; it's made of thick plastic, not styrofoam. You only have to squeeze it until it clicks, not until the plastic starts to warp. :P I'm also waiting on Grendel's 3DPro-to-USB converter, so that I can use my old stick, which has been used for seven years or so without any breakage. And that's with using the hat for sliding. :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Descent 2 does not Support USB Joysticks....
if you do get one to work it's sketchy at best(hat does not work, input pulses....blah blah blah)

But if you have Windows 2K/XP and you plan on running D2X-W32 then full multiple USB is avaialble

other than that the choice is yours!

my stuff
Fighter17
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fighter17 »

I used a PS2 controller for the Descent games. It's good but it will take you a while until you get the hang of it.