To Bettina: About offensive audio taunts.

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

ok here's the thing.

this topic is retarded but doesn't warrant a lock. It's not my place to judge a topic based on my subjective criteria. but it is if it violates any rules.

bet: no one's attacking you, but it seems you're attacking others.

words won't kill anyone. profanity is a part of life.

There's a feature in D3 that says "disable audio taunts". If you can't stand the taunts used by others, click that button. If you don't do that and continue complaining, get rid of D3.

Oh and for those that missed it: this topic is retarded.
rms59
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by rms59 »

Ferno wrote:ok here's the thing.

this topic is retarded but doesn't warrant a lock. It's not my place to judge a topic based on my subjective criteria. but it is if it violates any rules.

bet: no one's attacking you, but it seems you're attacking others.

words won't kill anyone. profanity is a part of life.

There's a feature in D3 that says "disable audio taunts". If you can't stand the taunts used by others, click that button. If you don't do that and continue complaining, get rid of D3.

Oh and for those that missed it: this topic is retarded.
As a long time D1,D2,D3 player and never a poster, I've played her many times without a problem. She didn't attack anyone until attacked by this Nesferatu nut case who, by the way, started this thread. I'm with her.
Fighter17
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fighter17 »

Skills talk more then saying ★■◆● all the time.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Robo wrote:I've been watching this thread from the sidelines. It's gay. Lock it and shut the hell up.
And suddenly a new contender has emerged!
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

longtime player? how come I've never seen you before today?
Fighter17
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fighter17 »

Ok, I would like this thread closed. I think everyone prove their point already.
rms59
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by rms59 »

Ferno wrote:longtime player? how come I've never seen you before today?
Heh. I haven't played online in quite a long time. I play as "Cosmo" on a network at work from noon to 1pm with 4 other players and very rarely play at night. My grandchildren take up most of my time anyway, most of the players I remember went by the wayside when pxo perished.

Cheers, Cosmo
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

rms59 wrote:As a long time D1,D2,D3 player and never a poster, I've played her many times without a problem. She didn't attack anyone until attacked by this Nesferatu nut case who, by the way, started this thread. I'm with her.
Agreed there. As Nosferatu said in the openning of this topic:
Nosferatu wrote:I'm posting this out in the open and not to a PM because I think that others might have some input into this as well.
He had a choice to keep this quiet but he didn't because he thought "others might have some input into this as well." Along with that, the title to this topic starts with "To Bettina:" With that, she was called a hypocrit as well. ...even before she came into the topic. To me, that sounds like a personal attack.

Along with that, Bettina's first response started with "Geez...This bothered me a lot and I'm sorry for causing trouble." If it bothered her with the above mentioned, I believe that it's a personal attack. ...and she also said she would just silently leave if it happened again. She responded responsibly that time.

Now Ferno's response, "bet: no one's attacking you, but it seems you're attacking others..." That was justified. I would have called him immature from the middle of the first page. Maybe I did. She held off and tried to let it blow over.

If I had a bunch of people getting in my face about how I politely ask if people would refrain from using f*** in their taunts, I would have been pushed earlier. This will turn into a flame war pretty soon if we aren't careful.

I believe this topic should be closed by what has just been stated above.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Zetal, Ive said what I believe in. I was only hoping to discuss censorship in general and not attack Bettina personally. I think my previous comments will hold up if read in their entirety and not out of context.

It seems as though your now trying to turn this into a personal attack on me now. I thought that you're against personal attacks.

Whatever. Im against the slippery slope of censorship piriod.

EDIT: Oh and (and Im not trying to be flippant about this. Im serious), you should look up what "dead agenting" is. Its usually an indication that the thread is over and, the individual(s) using it, has no more valid points to make. http://www.torymagoo.org/deadagnt.htm
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

I wasn't going to get in this but I guess 2 more cents can't do much harm. I am of the middle mind. Taunts should be whatever the user chooses to represent his/hers pilots personality. If its a bunch of cursing and trash talking then there you go. If its fuzzy happy stuff then there again who knows. I for one miss Fiends musical taunts. No language but could convey a message well :) ....

All that being said as for Bettina her taunts are not bad.. Just way way over used.(IE every kill does not need one) As for the F*&^ this and SH that those have been used to much as well. Guess I will say if you don't like it don't use taunts. If you use em be prepared to hear what you will...
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Couver_ wrote:*snippit*
Guess I will say if you don't like it don't use taunts. If you use em be prepared to hear what you will...
HOOOOORRRAY!

Someone saying exactly what Ive been trying to say. :)
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

Nosferatu wrote:It seems as though your now trying to turn this into a personal attack on me now. I thought that you're against personal attacks.
I just don't find it fair to single out a player like that. If I ever have a problem with anyone, I just leave their name/alias out. That's why I haven't been on your side. There is the point that you are up for the risk if you leave them on, but still. I've seen first timers try to play then get it taken away from their parents because of what they heard. That adds up in a community that is shrinking as is. If I hear some pretty bad taunts, I start aiming for them exclusively. That's how I handle it. ...and it makes me feel better because I'm knocking up someone who doesn't care about other pilots in the community. As Bettina mentioned, she would ask then just leave. I don't think that deserved a topic response with her name clearly pasted all over it. This would have been another story if her name wasn't pasted all over. Then this would have been a less "retarded" topic.

That's the only reason I said we needed to drop it. So I am.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

All I know is my audio taunts were the best. Clips from sweet songs that enhanced my ★■◆●-talking persona. Beautiful.

People hated me. It was like being a WWF villain. It's all just a game.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Jeff250 wrote:
Robo wrote:I've been watching this thread from the sidelines. It's gay. Lock it and shut the hell up.
And suddenly a new contender has emerged!
Yes, and your point is?

If someone has an issue it's always best to take it up with the other person in private (i.e. Private messages?), not single them out publically. When people talk about it publically they start gay topics like this one, and it becomes an intergalactic flame war.

Just close it and be done with it. Any issues that remain I'm sure can be settled over PM between Nosferatu and Bettina.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

Nosferatu wrote:I honestly did not want to frame this as a personal attack on you, Bettina. I honestly just feel as though I should not be asked to not use certain audio taunts when others tend to use audio taunts that can be seen as offensive as well.
have you ever asked Bettina to stop playing that taunt when you're in the game? As far as I understand her, she would gladly stop playing this one if you wouldn't use your taunts.

And "censorship"? If someone politely asked you to not do something, how is this censorship? That's just a request.

In closing, I think Seargent Thorne said it best. And this is all there is to this, really.
]If you can find it in your heart to refrain from using taunts that really bother someone, then good for you. If not, this is a public game and she'll just have to deal with it.
Cangaceiro
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cangaceiro »

BTW did you know that you can play alot better without audio taunts. Try it and see what I mean.
Phantasmagirl
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Phantasmagirl »

lame. just play the game. at some point you have to realize you can't control what others are going to say.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I'm with Phantasmagirl. Lame ass.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Turn 'em off and stfu
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

WarAdvocat wrote:x 3

Turn 'em off and stfu
I already said what I intended to do in the games so why are you saying that to me?

Can't we just close this thread? Please?

Bettina
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I wasn't addressing you personally, Miss Betty. Please pardon me if you're offended. I was talking to all the chuckleheads who are draggin this out.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Theres an old saying that I find highly appropriate here.

"If you can't take the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen!"

If you don't want to hear the swearing, then turn off audio taunts. Its as simple as that. There are going to be people that have swears in taunts, so you're just going to have to either live with it or turn them off.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

The person who next posted was gay, apparently. You win, MD.

Leave her alone. She has the right to ask and thats the end of it - whether you want to do what she asks or not.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Robo wrote:The person who next posted was gay, apparently. You win, MD.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy. ;)
Leave her alone. She has the right to ask and thats the end of it - whether you want to do what she asks or not.
Oh yes, lets all be politicaly correct. :) Lets just shelter her from real life. Yeah, thats the ticket.

She has the option to turn taunts off if she doesn't like the content. Its her own damn fault if she leaves them on.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I think type killing is wrong. The keyboard icon is there for a reason.

<3
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Gooberman wrote:I think type killing is wrong. The keyboard icon is there for a reason.
There's a keyboard?
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

MD-2389 wrote:
Robo wrote:The person who next posted was gay, apparently. You win, MD.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy. ;)
Oh yes, lets all be politicaly correct. :) Lets just shelter her from real life. Yeah, thats the ticket.

She has the option to turn taunts off if she doesn't like the content. Its her own damn fault if she leaves them on.
You would soon complain if you didn't feel you had the right to ask.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Personally, I'd rather be F**ked than Killed! :D

Oh - has anyone caught the series of taunts I made (four) with the cracking whip noise?

My versions had "crack crack OH GOD". But someone edited the "God" out of it! That offended me!

The others are all pretty tame - oh - except for the panting, moaning and screaming, I guess. ;)
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

thanks pun!
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Hah. Interesting thread...
Shows which pilot to not play with in games when I return to d3.
Has nothing to do with one's language, by the way.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Robo wrote:You would soon complain if you didn't feel you had the right to ask.
I really don't give a rats ass. If I don't like a taunt I hear, I either tone it out mentally or just turn off all taunts and move on with my life. Its called taking control of the situation. I don't force my moral ethic code onto others in any game. Apparently Bettina feels otherwise. (Note: This is not a personal attack on you Bettina. This is simply an observation based on your posts in this thread.) Nobody is forcing her to keep the taunts enabled, nor is anyone forcing her to stayin the game. She has the option of disabling the audio taunts completely, but chooses otherwise. Thus, she chooses to expose herself to such taunts. She made a concious choice to place herself at "risk". Play with adults, you better damn well expect to hear some profanity. The game is rated PG-13 for a reason.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

You obviously don't get it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Having excessive profanity usually lands movies a higher rating than PG-13.

The rating is for the 'animated violence', not the tone of what goes on online. But that's why game developers usually do the disclaimers about 'we cannot guarantee a completely clean environment' for multiplayer.

Still, while you shouldn't expect everything to be nice and tidy there ... personally, I consider it a matter of courtesy not to use obscene audio taunts anyway. Some people appreciate not having to hear them, and they are more often than not of no real value. (Most people just play them to be annoying, from what I hear...)
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Sirius wrote:Having excessive profanity usually lands movies a higher rating than PG-13.

The rating is for the 'animated violence', not the tone of what goes on online. But that's why game developers usually do the disclaimers about 'we cannot guarantee a completely clean environment' for multiplayer.

Still, while you shouldn't expect everything to be nice and tidy there ... personally, I consider it a matter of courtesy not to use obscene audio taunts anyway. Some people appreciate not having to hear them, and they are more often than not of no real value. (Most people just play them to be annoying, from what I hear...)
Now wait just one second. (Sorry for coming back but I just have to challange a logic bomb here)

In that case WHY USE AUDIO TUANTS AT ALL? Audio taunts are mainly used for their humor value. Homer Simson saying "He he, this babby is bound to kill something" is nice and humorus and very nonoffensive. Terrance and Phillip from the South Park movie singing "Shut your F***ing face uncle F***er" is still humorus and very offensive. The only difference I see here is offensiveness and if thats the case then my previous comments still apply.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

MD-2389 wrote:
Robo wrote:You would soon complain if you didn't feel you had the right to ask.
I really don't give a rats ***. If I don't like a taunt I hear, I either tone it out mentally or just turn off all taunts and move on with my life. Its called taking control of the situation. I don't force my moral ethic code onto others in any game. Apparently Bettina feels otherwise. (Note: This is not a personal attack on you Bettina. This is simply an observation based on your posts in this thread.) Nobody is forcing her to keep the taunts enabled, nor is anyone forcing her to stayin the game. She has the option of disabling the audio taunts completely, but chooses otherwise. Thus, she chooses to expose herself to such taunts. She made a concious choice to place herself at "risk". Play with adults, you better damn well expect to hear some profanity. The game is rated PG-13 for a reason.

Hit the nail on the head. I personally think no one should enforce or ask anyone to abide by someone's morals in a multiplayer game. If you can't understand that the content of the game changes drastically online, then you should probalby live in your room until you are 45. I have not been in ANY online game or chat room without major profanity. You can not get away from it no matter how hard you try.

This is part of life, all you can do is live with it and just not use it yourself.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I don't use audio taunts personally. But if you are going to, it is nice from some people's perspectives to refrain from using profane ones. (Obviously.)

You don't have to.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Heh. There's nothing wrong with asking. Nothing wrong with a young lady not wanting to hear that kind of thing, but still enjoying taunts.

I think Bettina's position in the matter is commendable.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Taunts are cool.
taunts are stupid.
taunts are funny.
taunts are foul.
I'm a sinner.
I'm a saint.
I like pie.

I keep taunts on generally, but I'm thankful for the option to turn them off, which I find myself forced to do on occasion.

Now that we've all found a common ground can we just shaddup? :)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'm mature enough to know that people will use offensive material in life. Wether it's in a stand up comedy stint, movies, radio shows etc. It happens in games also. In D3, there have beena few times when someone would come into a game and do nothing but play his taunt continuously non stop. After 1 minute of this, I turn them off since he doesn't want to stop playing it. He does it to annoy people.

Bet needs to get a thicker skin and realize 90% of people will not change their ways for her. I for one will not force people to fly only the pyro since the pheeni skips and the mag fusion is nasty. Why should I? it's there right to do so. Yes, bet has right to ask them not to use it but she needs to realize most people will say no.