I used KROMS name.....

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Fluffy marshmellow man!
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Bet51987 wrote: Now he started calling me a lesbian, old man, fag, and a few other things too. He never used the fword, so he's ok with me. I had a lot of fun.
Bettina, the fword is just a word. Using it doesn't mean you're evil, and some people use it a lot in casual conversation. The fword can even have a positive connotation sometimes. I'm not saying that the fword can't be used in an offensive manner. It can. So can many many other words.

All I'm asking is that you judge people more on the meaning of what they say rather than which words they happen to use. There are even words I would consider more commonly offensive than the "fword". "fag" is one of them.

Personally, I think guy you played wasn't being very nice and if it were me, I wouldn't let him off the hook just because he didn't use the fword. Being a mean-spirited person is not ok in my book no matter what words you use.

I know some great people who use the fword and I wouldn't condemn them just because of a word. The message of what they're saying matters more than the words they use.

The world isn't black and white. There's lots of injustice. People kill. People rape. People steal. People lie. People cheat. Sometimes, believe it or not, they even do it without using the fword.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Suncho wrote:
Bet51987 wrote: Now he started calling me a lesbian, old man, fag, and a few other things too. He never used the fword, so he's ok with me. I had a lot of fun.
Bettina, the fword is just a word. Using it doesn't mean you're evil, and some people use it a lot in casual conversation. The fword can even have a positive connotation sometimes. I'm not saying that the fword can't be used in an offensive manner. It can. So can many many other words.

All I'm asking is that you judge people more on the meaning of what they say rather than which words they happen to use. There are even words I would consider more commonly offensive than the "fword". "fag" is one of them.

Personally, I think guy you played wasn't being very nice and if it were me, I wouldn't let him off the hook just because he didn't use the fword. Being a mean-spirited person is not ok in my book no matter what words you use.

I know some great people who use the fword and I wouldn't condemn them just because of a word. The message of what they're saying matters more than the words they use.

The world isn't black and white. There's lots of injustice. People kill. People rape. People steal. People lie. People cheat. Sometimes, believe it or not, they even do it without using the fword.
"All I'm asking is that you judge people more on the meaning of what they say rather than which words they happen to use"

I do just that....When some people use fwords in normal conversataion, they do it without realizing what there saying. I don't think this is acceptable language anyway, but I understand it and I honestly DON'T judge them by that. I've read that "Mr Rogers" swore too when things didn't go well on his show. :).

Like it or not, the fword is a vulgar expletive of the strongest form and when used knowingly in a game where the age factor of the players aren't known, and...the said player refuses to stop using it when asked, means he's not using it as a "casual" funny taunt. His intent becomes clear that he has made a choice to be clearly offensive.

Since this type of person has made a choice to offend, I will "judge" him by leaving for another game. After a few times doing that with this person, I will no longer ask. I just leave when I see his name.

Last night I played someone who used the fword in a tuant that I especially dislike. I asked him please to stop and his message to me was "Sorry Bet, I didn't know you were here". He stopped and I respect him big time for that and don't give it a second thought. He is just as much a friend of mine as those who never use it.

So...I am judging people by there meaning....and BTW, if I complained about lesbian, old man, or fag, I would be branded a nun. I'm pushing it as is going into this mens club and complaining about the fword. :)

Bettina
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Bet51987 wrote:When some people use fwords in normal conversataion, they do it without realizing what there saying.
No. Usually they know what they're saying and they're comfortable with it. That's why they accidentally say it in the wrong company. They're used to saying it because they're usually around people who don't mind, so when you enter the room they can no longer relax and they have to work extra special hard to avoid saying it. If it's their first time meeting you, the only thing they didn't realize was that you were going to get offended. They assumed you wouldn't because most people don't.
Bet51987 wrote:but I understand it and I honestly DON'T judge them by that. I've read that "Mr Rogers" swore too when things didn't go well on his show. .
It's no big deal as long as he didn't say it on air, and it wasn't broadcast to children. I'm sure he didn't think of it as a big deal. Mr. Rogers is a children's show. The Internet is like a city street. Parents need to keep track of that stuff.
Like it or not, the fword is a vulgar expletive of the strongest form
You can't honestly tell me that you find the fword more offensive that the cword can you?
and when used knowingly in a game where the age factor of the players aren't known, and...the said player refuses to stop using it when asked, means he's not using it as a "casual" funny taunt.
That's ridiculous. He just heard about you and your strange needs, and like any good person does not want to offend you. He's a nice guy and I'm sure he'd do the same thing if you had a problem with the word "keyboard". Just because he doesn't use the word "keyboard" in front of you, does not necessarily make it a bad word.
His intent becomes clear that he has made a choice to be clearly offensive.
Even if the fword is a bad word, you can't use as evidence the fact that he stopped using it because you were around. He made it clear to you that it was only offensive because you were in the room.
Bet51987 wrote:So...I am judging people by there meaning....and BTW, if I complained about lesbian, old man, or fag, I would be branded a nun. I'm pushing it as is going into this mens club and complaining about the fword. :)
I think it's the other way around. Complaining about the fword is more unusual than complaining about someone who directly insulted you... no matter what words they use. If someone is outright disrespecting you, then everyone will understand if you get offended. Hearing the fword is only offensive to you because you choose for it to be.

It's a word. If you don't want to use it then fine. Maybe it's rude for someone to use the fword in front of you. But judging someone else by the way they speak is even more rude.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I see too many differences in what I'm saying and what you think I'm saying so I'm gonna back out of this. :wink:

Bettina
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

...or, you could just turn your audio taunts off.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

There are plenty of words that are potentially stronger and more vulgar. For example, some people say that others are retards. That should be considered far more offensive, because you are demeaning a class of people that can't help their condition. Or calling a black person a ★■◆●. "Screw" is a fairly socially acceptable word, but it means almost exactly the same thing as the f-word. Words are words - there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them, and their meanings change through time and culture.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Words represent ideas, and there is something wrong with using some of them in certain (loose) contexts.

A lot of people are probably either numb or blind to that simple fact. It's not the evolution, but the bastardization of language.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

sticks and stones
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

(off topic)

B=================D
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Clayman wrote:
"Screw" is a fairly socially acceptable word, but it means almost exactly the same thing as the f-word. Words are words - there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them, and their meanings change through time and culture.
Unfortunately you can't say.

"Screw Yeah!"
"Let's screw!"
or... "How the screw should I know?!"
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Or... "screwing nice job dude!"
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain