Best backup program/method for WinXP

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Best backup program/method for WinXP

Post by Birdseye »

OK, for a long time I ran FAT32 and I used a DOS xcopy command on my windows and program files directories and copied the contents to another HD. This system worked flawlessly and helped me survive many viruses.

However, I have finally (well maybe 1.5 yrs ago) gone to NTFS (friend convinced me it was a more efficient file system and that i'd have to defrag less often, which i never do anyway).

Unfortunately I don't know of any reliable backup method, as DOS won't work with an NTFS drive (sniff sniff). I have heard of Norton Ghost, but one of my friends had a bad experience where his backup didn't work and another who said it missed some important hidden windows files. Is there any program/method of restoring windows easily? I used to just change directory names in DOS, and in this situation I'm assuming I'll have to duplicate the files on another HD (I have a spare, identical size), and when I want to switch to the old state I'd have to change HD's. not a problem, I guess.

Any ideas?

...or does windows system restore point actually work? I've always been wary of any MS restoring, and I've heard if you get some virii it will attack restore points, destroying the whole point
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

A second hard drive and frequent file copies = good idea (good speed, too).
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Never trust hard drives. Optical media is better, Magnito-Optical is the best but neither widely available or cheap.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

I have 5 computers all running XP and NTFS, I made a batch file with the xcopy command to copy the MY_DOCS across the network on bootup, works flawlessly
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Netgear actually has a new NAS (Network Attached Storage) device coming out. Basically it's a shell that you can put two IDE HDD's in. You could grab one of those (or, alternatively, scrape together an extra machine) and write a simple batch file that automatically copies over your sensitive data periodically.

The best solution, IMO, is to set up a domain controller and have all the PCs in your house connect to it. Then you can set their My Documents to a share on the server and have a centralized location from which to back up. If you use Linux/Samba, it's trivial to set up a cron job to automatically burn CDs every night/week/whenever.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I use Powerquest Drive Image 7.0 once a week to pull images of my disks and put them on USB drives/CD-R.

Editt: Oh, they got bought by Norton :( Ghost 9.0 seems to be the equivalent..
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

if you're copying all your stuff to another HD anyway, you could use a raid setup with 2 mirrored HDs and spare the work each time. many boards have raid controllers onboard nowadays.
chances that both HDs blow up at the same time are next to zero.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

how can you possibly do xcopy with an NTFS drive? DOS won't access NTFS

I understand how to just drag files onto a HD, but if you just drag the contents of the windows drive, if I recall correctly, even if you have hidden files shown, it won't copy all the important OS files. Or am I wrong?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

It will copy all hidden and system files if you have the proper options selected in the Folder Options window.

xcopy will work from a DOS window (cmd.exe), because DOS windows go through Windows to access drives. That's how you can access logical drives, mapped network shares, etc. from a DOS window. As far as booting from a DOS floppy/Win9x CD, then no you can't do an xcopy because that version of DOS only understands FAT.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

There isn't a single trace of DOS in WinNT/2000/XP, they just mimetized the interface (black window) with prompt and commands. Batch commands are supported as well as piping. On a WinNT machine xcopy is actually a command-line Win32 application like any other, and will happily copy files from/to any drive available in your system, including flashsticks, network drives and this regardless of what filesystem they use.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I'm somewhat paranoid about backing stuff up. I've lost gigs of data from bad drives, and I refuse to get caught again.

I'm currently backing up to two separate drives (mirrored) AND a tape drive. And once a month I dump everything onto a file server for good measure.

God I hate dead hard drives. At one point I had a stack of about 30 of them, and I was going to have everyone over for a drive-shotput contest. I wound up just throwing them.

Hard drives are very sturdy. Took me about 20 hits with a 10-lb sledge to crack one in half.

Filling them with sand and aluminum foil and powering them on was fun too (using an old AT power supply).

Jeez, I have no life.