The giant shutdown button

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

The giant shutdown button

Post by Liquid Fire »

This is probably an extremely simple question, but it's still a problem.

A while ago, my computer had some trouble with the internet. Bored of fiddling with the connection, I decided to play worms 2. The game loaded fine and played the opening video, but once it got to the main menu (just a window with options) the resolution was extremely tiny. I have seen this happen many different times with other games and there's always two options:

1: change the display settings
2: restart and it reverts to what it was before.

I chose option 2, and payed for it. I started up the machine and got to the logon screen. All I could see was the most massive shutdown button ever. It took up the entire screen. The resolution had not changed back and I couldn't access the accounts. I tried everything I could think of. My mouse couldn't go past the screen so I couldn't guess my way to it, and tab wouldn't work either. Next I tried restarting in safe mode. The resolution was back to normal and I could change the display settings. I did.

Then I went back to normal mode and nothing had changed. I've discovered that I can use the computer with an older graphics card, but then I can't play recent games. (freespace 2 being the important one)

I guess the real question is: Is there some way to bypass the login screen entirely? If not, can I get to the accounts with the keyboard and not using tab? If that fails, can I change the display settings from bios?

Using xp, by the way.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

You can find stuff/instructions for that at www.TweakXP.com
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Techpro is a pro at tech even when the tech itself is not pro.

In other words, it's fixed.