Windows Boot Problem

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Windows Boot Problem

Post by Plague »

I've got an older computer here at the house that I recently formatted, and it hangs on the Windows boot screen (does the same thing when loading safe mode). The bar continues to run across, but Windows never loads. I tried loading the last good configuration, as well as a repair installation (the Windows Disk I have has SP1 on it, but not SP2, I had updated to SP2 before the issue started). Windows loaded successfully directly after the repair install, but after that it still does it every time. Here are the specs:

AMD 2600+
Epox 8RDA+ MOBO
1GB Kingston PC2700
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Windows XP Home SP2

I just started MemTest a short while ago.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'd suggest format C and try again.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Slipstream a new XP disk so it installs with SP2 right off. Don't worry, it's legal and you can do it with any version of XP using the SP2 network install package.

You might have some luck with autostreamer, just use your original CD as the source.
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Au ... 92632287/1

Then you can format and install using the SP2 disk, if the SP2 install is what is causing the problem.