Monitors

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Monitors

Post by Bet51987 »

How many of you play games on a LCD monitor?
My dad bought a Dell 19" 1905FP LCD monitor and thought he was doing me a favor by giving it to me and taking my 19" Dell 991 Analog one.

The LCD seems to blur when I make fast turns, and when I scroll messages here, I see it blur as it scrolls.

It seems ok everywhere else but I want to know how many of you use them.

Bettina
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Get your CRT back! ;)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I use a 19inch Samsung 930b LCD for gaming and I love it. Alhough, not all LCDs are the same.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Generally speaking LCDs and action games don't mix well.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

I have a sharp LCD. I haven't played a twitch game since I've got it, but it seems fine for MMOs and turn based stuff.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I have a 17inch LCD Olympĩc. All the Descent series plus 3rd person shooters (HL, HL2, UR2003/2004, BF2, DOOM3, and so on..) performs perfect! Though I am using an agp BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB card. It makes things run so much smoother then the Leadtek GeForce FX5950 Ultra 256MB card I have.
Either way. This LCD runs very smooth with no blurring. :wink:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Also note, on LCD ghosting, some people see it, some people don't. I can see it very easily.

I can also often tell you the refresh rate a CRT monitor is running at up to 100 Hz just by looking at it. But a lot of people can't tell the difference at all over 75 Hz.

And you get comments like Aus-RED-5 who think the installed video card has anything to do with the LCD monitor ghosting. ;)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I use one, but it has an 8ms response time (pretty fast). Yours is probably 25ms.

There have been a few topics in the Tech forum about LCDs and gaming. Do a search, and maybe even show your dad. An LCD will be a lot easier on your eyes in general (a real plus for long-term use), and the colors are really nice, but a lot of them just aren't fast enough for games.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I have a samsung 17" LCD and get no gohsting what so ever while playing descent.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

My Samsung 930b (19" 8ms LCD) took some getting used to, and it DOES blur a little bit when I make fast turns and I'm sure it probably has a slight negative effect on my gaming, but I wouldn't trade it for a CRT. It's MUCH more space efficient, generates MUCH less heat, weighs MUCH less and in general gives a MUCH nicer looking image than my old 19" CRT monitor.

I would, however, trade it for an even faster LCD :)
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

heh...I scoff at all your pretty computers :P

oh...13" Viewsonic here...works okay 'cept fer the occasional 3 second blackout :D
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

will_kill wrote:heh...I scoff at all your pretty computers :P

oh...13" Viewsonic here...works okay 'cept fer the occasional 3 second blackout :D
I will GIVE you a 15 inch monitor. You'll have to come to Fort Lauderdale to pick it up, however. If I like you, I may even let a 17" monitor go :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

As people here hinted to already, there are LCD monitors with different "refresh" or "switch" speeds (btw, the max. speed the manufacturer gives can be considerably higher than the average or slowest speed, depending on the technology used). Bottom line: You might have been in bad luck and gotten a slow TFT monitor from your father. That will cause blur in fast changing scenes, like those occuring in 3D shooter games.

Btw, I am using a 19" Sony flat black Trinitron CRT monitor, and I love it.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I have a Nvidia 5200 Graphics card. Would upgrading that (fat chance he would do that) to a better one help the graphics blur?

When I use my scroll button to scroll thru the dbb messages, the messages practically disappears until I stop. My refresh rate is at the highest...75hz.

Bettina
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

Bet -- Diedel just answered your next question :)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Oh....I don't know what my speed is for my monitor. I do know he hooked it up with a DVI cable. The specs are here.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/m ... ifications

Bettina
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Response time: 20ms (typical)
There's your problem right there. This is *NOT* a gaming LCD.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

WarAdvocat wrote:I will GIVE you a 15 inch monitor. You'll have to come to Fort Lauderdale to pick it up, however. If I like you, I may even let a 17" monitor go :)
<jaw agape> ummmm....don't tell me somethin like that...I'm just silly enuff to make the drive! :lol:
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

8)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

/me grins @ 19" dualview display on my computer. mmmm 2560x960 desktop goodness.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Oh yeah Krom, take 3840x1024! :P

Bettina, the 5200 should be absoloutly fine as long as you keep the drivers up to date. I've run Half Life 2, Doom 3, all the good stuff with medium-high quality gfx settings, and it works fine. But yeah, the graphics card isn't the limiting factor here and upgrading that wouldn't help.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Krom, the ghosting problem may have been true about three years ago, but in this day and age of 5ms LCD's.. it's now long gone.
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

Bettina...

I just made the move to LCD. I've been waiting for the tech to grow fast enough to suit my tastes. It is finally here: ViewSonic Xtreme Gamer with 5ms response time (4ms gray to gray).

Even this speed demon blurs a few things, but not so much in games as text on forums when I scroll.

By comparison, most LCD monitors are running 25ms and the "fast" ones are 16ms or so. Blur City. :( The first generation of "gamer" LCDs got down to 10ms (8ms gray to gray) but that's still slower than desired.

Need those faster times. Nothing less will do! :)

If there is still time to send back the Dell and get yourself a proper gaming LCD monitor, DO IT. I got the top of the line 19" jobber for a mere $400 plus tax and shipping from CompUSA. No fuss, no muss, ordered it one day, played on it the next. Only $5 in shipping costs, too!

Make SURE you get the Xtreme Gamer model line, though. All the rest of ViewSonic's monitors are slow like the rest of the industry. Some monitors are built for ultra high res graphical design work (Pro series), and some are built to be cheap. You need the stuff that is built for speed. Luckily it's reasonably priced.

And yes, LCD is worth making the switch because it is so much easier on your eyes. It's the right thing to do to get away from the CRT. This from a man whose glasses get thicker by the decade. While you're at it, make sure your desk and chair and keyboard are all top notch ergonomics. Take care of your body; it is the only one you get in this lifetime.

Good luck!

- Sirian
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

WarAdvocat wrote:

I will GIVE you a 15 inch monitor. You'll have to come to Fort Lauderdale to pick it up, however. If I like you, I may even let a 17" monitor go :)
You can have my 17 inch AND 15 inch CRT... I'm in VA :P
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

:P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Nitrofox125 wrote:Oh yeah Krom, take 3840x1024! :P

Bettina, the 5200 should be absoloutly fine as long as you keep the drivers up to date. I've run Half Life 2, Doom 3, all the good stuff with medium-high quality gfx settings, and it works fine. But yeah, the graphics card isn't the limiting factor here and upgrading that wouldn't help.
I can do 3840x1440 if I wanted too, but I don't ;)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

moved to tech forum.