D3 Linux update

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

D3 Linux update

Post by KompresZor »

Running ubuntu 5.04

Code: Select all

scott@srread:~$ cd D3/1.4.0b
scott@srread:~/D3/1.4.0b$ sudo sh descent3-1.4.0b-x86.run
Verifying archive integrity...OK
Uncompressing Descent 3 1.4.0b Update.........................
=============================================================
Welcome to the Descent 3 1.4.0b Update

Would you like to read the README for this update?  [Y/n]: n

Would you like to apply this update? [Y/n]: y

Please enter the installation path: []: /usr/local/games/Descent3

Performing update:
ERROR: No matching delta for /usr/local/games/Descent3/descent3.dynamic
The program returned an error code (3)
scott@srread:~/D3/1.4.0b$
I chose all the default options when I installed D3 and it installed with no errors. When I first tried to run D3 it would fall back to the desktop after the intro. movie played. I installed the nvidia 7667 drivers and it fixed that.

Be gentil I've only been using Linux for about 3 weeks :)
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

About freeking time you installed it :P
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

did you install the earlier patches first? I think you need to install them each in order.

If that doesn't work then it could be a number of other things.....Linux has changed a great deal sence Descent 3 was ported to it and there are at least 3 workarounds to perform before the game will work. And even then it will crash a lot.

Don't get me wrong though, I play Descent 3 in Linux all the time. I only boot into Windows to play D3 when I want to join a coop game or one of the many other "Levels don't match" games.

Post back if you are still having trouble and I will dig up any other possible fixes.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

No I haven't tried the 1.4.0a patch, I'll download it and give it a try. I can run these from /home/<username> right? God, I such a n00b with Linux :oops:
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

KompresZor wrote:No I haven't tried the 1.4.0a patch, I'll download it and give it a try. I can run these from /home/<username> right? God, I such a n00b with Linux :oops:
I think you can but I would run it from the d3 directory so you dont have to tell it where the install is. Its been two years since I installed it, might want to wait for Xamindar to reply also and get his input.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Go ahead and do what Cuda68-2 suggested. I know the first patch requires you to manually tell it where D3 is installed and even with how much I use linux even I manage to mess that up (is there a / after the directory or not? :P ). But to answer your first question, yes, you can run the patch from anywhere.

Also, I always get a 'tail' error because some nutcase decided to change the way the tail program works. If you get that just run the following in the console before you run the patch:

export _POSIX2_VERSION=199209
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Ok.. I got both of the updates installed. I had to use "bash" instead of "sh" to run the scripts. I did some googling on the error I was getting when trying to install the 1.4.0a patch and another game (Sim City) has the same problem. Something about the .run scripts being old.
( Updatetrap: usage: trap [-lp] [arg signal_spec ...] was the error I got when trying to run 1.4.0a, is that the tail error you were talking about? )

After running both updates D3 wont detect my joystick anymore.... *beats head off table*
Saitek Cyborg evo usb.

I'v installed joystick & jscalibrator and chmod 666 /dev/input/js0. I can see and calabrate the joystick, but D3 can't see it for some reason. *sigh*
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

You keep talking about patch 1.4.0a, but you've installed 1.4.0b right?
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

At first i just tried to install the 1.4.0b patch but was getting the error in my first post, so I took Xamindar's advice and tried to install the 1.4.0a patch first, but got a different error. After doing a little research I discovered why the patch wouldn't install ( as I posted ) and then installed them both in order. Now I'm joyless :wink:
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

That's very strange. The programs I used were jstest, and jscal to get my joystick working. Once I had it calibrated I was able to use it in Descent 3 right away.

I'm using an analog joystick, so the only other problem that I can think of is that you may not have all the needed USB drivers compiled into your kernel.

Did you say that the joystick was working in Descent 3 prior to the patches?
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

That is odd. If it was working before he does have the right kernel. I wonder if he needs to run as root in order to use the stick. seems he used the su command to install the patch which may have changed some of the file attrubutes on him.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Cuda, now I remember why I like you so much :D
I have a Joystick if i run as root. If I uninstall and install without the "sudo" do you think that will fix it?

I'm using ubuntu Debian and the root account is diabled so you have to use the "sudo" to do about anything and I just used it because i'm so used to it.. I'm not even sure it will install without it, but wth, nothing ventured nothing gained :)
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

Running in sudo is a bit of a security risk is it not? What group does joystick belong to? Maybe there is a gaming group, that you can put your user into.
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

Not sure that will work, you may need to change the attributes manually or make yourself a member of root and have root as your primary group. sh will work then without useing su first also :)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Do you have a symlink to /dev/js0? As Descent 3 is pretty old things have changed a little. D3 looks for joysticks at /dev/js0, /dev/js1, etc but they have been moved to /dev/input/js0...

ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0
If that don't work, run "ls -la /dev/input" and post the results.

You could always try changing the permissions of /dev/input/js0.

chmod 664 /dev/input/js0
The above will set permissions the same as my system (crw-rw-r--). Maybe edit /etc/group and add your user to any games group if you have one. I had a similar problem on my gentoo system where the normal user couldn't access 3d accel, adding my user to the games group fixed that.
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

Guess we gotta give the old coot time to digest our suggestions :lol:
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

lol cuda :p

The symlink fixed it.
I was having trouble with my joystick calibration so I removed "joystick" and "jscalibration" and now it works fine, go figure. ( joystick is Debian for jscal/jstest )

Thanks a lot for all your help!! <3
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Also, a note on jscalibration. I once installed it and tried it out. Every time I would use it my joystick would not work any more with my games until I either reloaded the joystick modules or rebooted. So I removed it. I don't really need it anyway because I use a sidewinder 3d pro which is calibrated by switching the little switch in the back.

It was only nice to see the movements of my joystick. But "cat /dev/input/js0" works just fine :wink:

Glad you got it working! :D