Insurance for you and me.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Insurance for you and me.

Post by Fusion pimp »

My timing may be seriously off on this.Actually, I'm sure it is, but I feel it needs to be said.
The response time and lack of planning of the local/state/feds is sickning and really should serve as a warning to the rest of the U.S. That is, be prepared. We're so used to relying on government to take care of us that we've completely lost our ability to be self sufficient. Pre-planned, 20 dollars worth of food items can keep the weight on a family for a couple of weeks if need be and sans the h2o, can fit in a couple of small backbacks. A small handheld water purifier can be easily had for the price of a good meal and weighs less than a pound-
http://www.rei.com/product/47575396.htm ... AMPING_TOC

Certainly not blaming the victims of NO, but if it can be prevented, why have others in a situation like this. Cheap insurance if you ask me.
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Yep just like the millinium bug thing people were getting a year of food ready for the horrors that would happen...

Hindsight is 20/20 but thats good info for the rest of us who live where a tornado,wildfire,hurricane or earthquake could make things unlivible for a week or more.

Its a sad situation for sure down there but I think people had their head in the sand. "Nothing bad will happen to me!" (That being said for the lack of levee building maintaning etc etc in the last couple decades, not people who really had no way to get out)Ferno posted in another thread they had an idea what would happen. I just think no one thought it would be this bad. For those of you who have never been down there it is isolated by water. Cut a few raods and you are screwed getting in. Put chopper close enough to get in right after the storm and you run the risk of getting them tore up in the storm. Its just a sad situation down there and we need to do as much as we can. Leave the finger pointing for later....
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

We don't have emergency food on hand, but we have an earthquake bag. First aid kit, flash lights, batteries, radio, ponchos, water tablets, and other misc stuff like a wrench for shutting off the gas. We also have a 5 gallon bottle of water set aside.

I vividly remember the 1989 earthquake so I've always been kind of skittish about a big earthquake. Minimal time and investment to be at least a little prepared help sets my mind at ease.

At best, I have an extra bag sitting in the garage collecting dust. At worst, I have a valuable resource that will help make life more manageable.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

We had an earthquake here not too long ago. I was a great distance from the epicenter, but I still felt the ground move. It did wig me out a little because it was so slight, I figured I was having a slight case of vertigo. Then I saw the water move in a glass I had beside me.
s.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by s. »

We have over a yrs supply of dehydrated food (for a family of 4) and have 2- 5 gallon water containers (always full and rotated with fresh water every month or so). It doesnt take up much space, but for the security it brings in knowing my family will be fed is , Priceless.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

So, Vander, S and me are the only ones?

Kind of scary.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

No, you're not the only ones. In addition to food and water I also carry this:
for those late night stops with the family at deserted highway rest stops...or sudden over night stays at the Superdome.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I have:

2 weeks worth of non-perishable food
10 gallons of bottled water
1 swimming pool full of chlorinated water
5 empty 5-gallon water jugs
3 large jugs of chlorine for the pool
Various firearms & ammunition for small game and/or personal defense.
Fishing tackle.

Worst Case scenario, I can camp out on a Cypress hammock in the 'glades indefinately.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Will,
you'd drool at my collection of pistols, rifles and shotguns. Sig makes a quality sidearm, good choice.

On a related note: The NO P.D is asking citizens to turn in any firearms they may have because law enforcement needs them.

Sure, you can borrow my firearms so I can be defenseless! :roll:
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I have:

1 ATM card. That will get me through anything :lol:
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Rofl. The first-ever DBB SHTF thread.

I have nothing at the moment, but I do have a list of things to acquire, put together from coming across 100+ SHTF threads.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Dedman wrote:I have:

1 ATM card. That will get me through anything :lol:
until the power's cut.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

... enter the Swiss Army atm card ......
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Sky, I purposely refrained from using words like 'BoB'( if you've read any SHTF threads elsewhere you'll know what a BoB is), etc to make my post less over-the-top. The meaning is the same when you get right down to it.

Do I get credit for the first DBB SHTF thread? I'm proud. :)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is SHTF?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I'm not 100% here...

But at a guess:

SHTF: Excrement contacting rotating airfoil
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Ah...defecation hitting the ventilation. Gotcha. :P
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

I gotta' pocket knife and a box of cheerios....I'm good. :wink:
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I don't get:

earthquakes
hurricanes
tornadoes
volcanoes (thanks for the new spellings, Gore!)
floods
forest fires
mudflows

ever.

Just humans. Which, tho', are about as bad as all the above, no?

I have 5 gallons fresh on hand, and many canned goods in rotation. Also a stocked tent (sleeping bags, jackets, stove, waterproof stuff, etc..I like camping anyway), and minor weapons. All my guns went up when my house burned down. Definitely need more of them, humans are my biggest threat.