6.8GHZ CPU + 1TB Ram + 2TB Storage Space = WOW

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

6.8GHZ CPU + 1TB Ram + 2TB Storage Space = WOW

Post by Cyclone »

Hey check out this prototype laptop. I was pretty shocked when I saw this. Pretty amazing. The laptop uses optical technology for both the memory and storage and the cpu has 254mb of on chip memory. They say they can fit 6.4 Gigs in one cubic millimeter!

Here is the link to specs for the laptop.

http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page4.html

Here is a link that has more detailed info on the individual components.

http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page2.html
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

impressive...but I have one question...wuts a TB?
Tancients
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Tancients »

TB = Terabyte.
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

Pleas note that this post is written assuming that the previous posts and their refrenses contain accurate information.

For all those who don't know what a TB is and such I will tell you how I will react to this news.

Firstly I will put off plans for ownership of a Next gen game console be it xbox 360 PS3 or Nintendo Revolution. I will also put off plans to upgrade my computers Ram, Hard Drive, Processor, or Mobo. I will abondon the possibilty of owning a car for the next few years. I will stop buying Computer games as well as console games.

All to save money for a Laptop similar to the one described. Buying any currently abaible computer upgrades could hardly even allow a server/cad workstation to reach the power speed and storage capeablities of this machine. And so you know this machine makes PS3 and Xbox 360 look like competing 4 function calculators.
Tancients
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Tancients »

Too bad the whole thing is a fake. Mildly well done. But its got typos all over. And if you look at this page:

http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page3.html

You'll see the truth to the matter.

Fancy fake. But too easy to spot.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I don't see anything marking this as a hoax other than the fact that the website looks like it was designed by a ten-year-old, but other than that...
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

I dont see how that page makes it a fake. Tho I do agree that it looks like a fake. It is refrenced on at least one news site and 2 RSS feeds (the popularity and validity of which is unknown to me. As well they will be at a conference in vegas (tho just as unhgeard of as the RSS feeds and news site.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

CES is a big show. A *really* big show. And they are linking to the real website too. I'm just not sure what kind of quality hoops they have to jump through in order to get put on the website.
Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cyclone »

I thought it was a fake to at first. I read a bunch of pages and info on it and I didn't notice any thing odd about it. They said the price just for the memory is $6000. So it would be expensive, way more then your xbox 360...
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Don't waste your time, Ed, it won't be worht the money for at least 6 months after it becomes mainstream. Get yerself a nice 3.2 and sit on it for the 2-3 years for this computer to really see the light in the consumer section.

I really have not planned on upgrading my machines for at least 5 years. I have a 2.8g/400fsb/geforce and the same stuff again but with a 2.5 (games and client) with a gb ram each...Why upgrade? If anything, which I won't, I'll want to change to 64bit for new games. But I'm not interested in anything that has come out in a long time.

Actually, I take that all back. I will be moving up to a 64-bit system so I can make the 2.8 to a development box, and the 2.5 to make another server.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

So why if this thing is so good does it only have a 10/100 Ethernet card? Why not a Gig card?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

2 TB storage space... Is that all? Weak.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

comment retracted
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Hm, they will be on the 2006 CES: http://www.cesweb.org/attendees/directo ... hibid=7059

I don't see how the referenced patent 5,841,689 applies to that thing tho. OTOH, the company and the guy w/ that patent are located in Westbury, NY.

Worth to keep an eye on I think :)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Hmm, They're probably driving the video with the new Bitboys chipset. And I bet it comes with Duke Nukem Forever as part of the bundle. :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Westbury, eh? Time to play detective...
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Looks like the ram plugs in with a 3.5mm headphone jack.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cyclone »

Yea I think this is all fake now that I look at it more. I found this link on their site to some new solar power ram. lol. "SOLAR MEDIA CHIP FOR SPACE APPLICATIONS"

Too bad they used a $5 solar panel for the ram. I have 10 of those laying around my room and they suck at powering anything!

http://www.compu-technics.com/pages/3/index.htm

Man I really thought it was real. I feel dumb now. :oops:
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

he followed the links to solar media on here: http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page3.html
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I dunno if CES would donate floor and webspace to a fake product.

EDIT: caught that on a reread flip.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

fake.

last i heard there was no such thing as optical chips.
for there to suddenly be optical chips... small enough to PUT IN A LAPTOP. i think it's BS.

too many steps at once.
This Quantum-Optical technology, which is the advancement of the Quantum technology (U.S. Patent No 5,841,689, and one new patent pending.) is based on the discovered magnetic quantum-optical phenomenon in porous silicon, entitled after the name of its discoverer, the Gendlin Effect. The Quantum-Optical technology has a minimum sustained write speed of 6 gigabytes (GB) per second and a read speed of 8 GB per second.
heheh. if we had a chip designed around this i'd have heard about it well before it was further developed to fit into a laptop.

and one company developing not only this ground breaking chip technology, yet also the amazing RAM and HDD technology? all without anyone hearing about it? (a 2TB solid state drive at that size would be huge news on it's own)

i have snake oil for sale here, it works by utilising the magnetic quantum-optical phenomenon in porous silicon :lol:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

btw, if they used THIS quite real optical technology for the HDD they could probabaly actually squeeze 2TB into the hdd space
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I was wondering when Zaphod Beeblebrox/Agressor Prime would unmask his true alias in these forums with Vaporware news posts. Old habits are hard to break ... right Cyclone!

Westbury NY with a residental email! nice I was from that area...never heard of them
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Awesome.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Uh... I was in a MOD team with Cyclone way back in 2001. There's no deceit going on here.

There are 2 tech companies left on the island: Symbol and CA. Both are based out east where there is land to build facilities. It would be impossible (physically and financially) to construct any adequate form of headquarters in Westbury.

And yes I know Acclaim was based in Great Neck (Queens border) but they didn't actually produce any physical products. The more I look at this the more it looks like a hoax.

[edit]And this just seals the deal. That's the address on the WHOIS lookup.
Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cyclone »

BUBBALOU why would I waste my time with this post if I knew it was fake? I just thought it was cool when I first skimmed the article. I have been wondering when there would be a giant leap in cpu speeds and then I saw this.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Oh come on, you look at that and it is obviously photochopped all to hell, why is this even a debate? Totally fake, probably was an April Fools joke from months ago or something.

What is that, a Toshiba or Compaq laptop or something? I don't look at laptops enough to place the brand.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Capm wrote:Oh come on, you look at that and it is obviously photochopped all to hell, why is this even a debate? Totally fake, probably was an April Fools joke from months ago or something.

What is that, a Toshiba or Compaq laptop or something? I don't look at laptops enough to place the brand.
And this begs the question, why are they using optical technology and then suddenly going to copper wiring?! Gee, thats like throwing a 4 banger into a Ferrari. You're not gonna go anywhere fast with THAT large a bottleneck.

Hell, look at the "processor". The damn thing has two lenses that look like they were yoinked off of a CD-ROM. What the hell are they going to do, shine light all over the inside cover of the processor?! I didn't see any kind of thermal protection for the processor either. (And note: If it actually used optical tech, the lenses would be MUCH smaller.)

The RAM looks like they just cut a compact flash card in half and epoxied the pieces on. Same for the hard drive. As for the RAM that plugs into 3.5mm jacks....lmfao I'm sure that'll be REAL speedy. ;)

I can't believe any of you thought this was a real product. Anyone else here reminded of a certain vaporware console known as the Phantom? I'm sure that'll be coming out when Duke Nukem Forever gets released. ;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

MD-2389 wrote:...I didn't see any kind of thermal protection for the processor either.
well, remember it's supposedly optical. they arn't exactly passing CURRENT through it. the heat characteristics of some future photonic chip is anyone's guess - but i doubt they would be the same as an electronic chip.

it's comparing Tesla apples with apples wearing LASERS ON THEIR HEADS.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Those plugs are actually optical plugs, they do exist. My friend's PC has internal optical connectors that use that adapter.