200 mph RC Car

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

200 mph RC Car

Post by Lobber »

No, for real, not to scale 200 mph, but really going 200 mph!

http://www.fazed.org/video/view/?id=96
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

That's pretty cool
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

"About to go Doppler on your a$$" :D
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

not even a real 200mph, cheating by usign centrifugal(sp?) force/ how bout 200MPH on a straight line?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

There's no such thing as centrifugal force, it's centripetal. And the car's tangential velocity is indeed 200 MPH; if it were to escape its circular path it would shoot out at a solid 200.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

Fake.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

BigSlideHimself wrote:Fake.
spoken like a true idiot

---------------------------------
A standard Glow R/C can do about 80MPH ..now just add a two speed (stock) gearbox and it now can easily get to 140. So from the perspective of your lint covered bellybutton why is it hard to see that with just a little benchwork you can easily achieve 200..

Go buy one and learn the error in your ways..

Or take the Mobi challenge and STFU :)
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

DCrazy wrote:There's no such thing as centrifugal force, it's centripetal. And the car's tangential velocity is indeed 200 MPH; if it were to escape its circular path it would shoot out at a solid 200.
Now, that would be cool.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Wow, thats incredible and totally cool. Its amazing that the car doesn't come apart at that speed.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

BUBBALOU wrote:
spoken like a true idiot
Nice composure there man. It was a joke. I'd hate to see how you get along with people in the real world.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Heh! I could just imagine about 500 people sitting there with their heads spinning following the car.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

You didn't get that, Bubbalou? I fell out of my chair laughing! I guess there's just no appreciation for concise, invisible humor anymore...

Personally I wasn't impressed by their RC. It's kind of neat, seeing just how fast that thing starts to go, but the title got my hopes up. I'm convinced that the centrifugal force augments the acceleration. That's cheating.
www.m-w.com wrote:centripetal: proceeding or acting in a direction toward a center or axis

centrifugal: proceeding or acting in a direction away from a center or axis
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Speaking of centripital force... did you see how the guy hooked the cord in somehow? I bet if he didn't he wouldn't have been strong enough to hold it. (Besides getting really freakin dizzy.) I'd bet the cord was seeing 200 lbs+ of force
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Now if only they could remove the tether (and all the parasite drag that comes with it), they might actually have something.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:I'm convinced that the centrifugal force augments the acceleration. That's cheating.
I'll say this again. There is no such thing as centrifugal force. You can ask anyone who has taken an Intro to Physics course and they will tell you the same thing. Centripetal force causes bodies to remain in circular motion. The vector of centripetal force points towards the center of rotation, and the velocity of the object points straight forward. Thus, all centripetal force does is change the object's direction of motion, NOT its speed in that direction. If centrifugal force existed (i.e. a force that pointed away from the center of rotation) then the object would spiral away.

What provides the centripetal force in this example is the force of friction on the car (and possibly the guardrail if the car is running against it). If the track is sloped in towards the middle, like a NASCAR track, then the force of gravity provides a component of the centripetal force as well. The guy in the center starts the car going in circular motion, and the force of friction (mu_k * Fn, where mu_k = the coefficient of friction and Fn = the car's weight) causes the car to stay on the track. If the car travels fast enough where it exerts enough forward force to overcome that force of kinetic friction, then the car will smash facefirst into the guardrail.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Oh I got it but you missed mine, I even added a :)

[edit] and I was replying to more than one DBB'r
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Touché!
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:I'm convinced that the centrifugal force augments the acceleration. That's cheating.
Actually, DCrazy is right...So-called centrifugal "force" is an illusion created by centripedal acceleration. However, it is quite a powerful illusion, and for the purposes of everyday conversation, it's usually unnecessary to get too technical. If you were going to play a game of dodgeball in a spinning 'wheel'-type space station, it might be necessary...but not here.

Incidentally, if my eyes don't deceive me, it appears that the car is actually running perpendicular to the ground on that strip of metal.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Yeah the only reason I delved into such a technical discussion was because it proves that under its own power the car can indeed reach 200 MPH.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

perhaps some are thinking that the cable is getting increasingly shorter every rotation as it wraps around the central pole - that'd slingshot it, yes?

but it's not doing that.

my brother and i just sat here in awe as we watched that video, never seen anything like it. :oops:
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

After watching that video, I can think of at least 8 ways someone could die or lose an appendage. :)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I guess I stand corrected. What you're saying seems to make sense, DCrazy; I'm going to look into it.
roid wrote:perhaps some are thinking that the cable is getting increasingly shorter every rotation as it wraps around the central pole - that'd slingshot it, yes?
Not what I was thinking. In fact I noticed what may have been the cord stretching a little as the thing picked up speed. That would be cool if they did that, though!

Bubbalou, I was being sarcastic. "Fake." a joke does not make.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

WarAdvocat wrote:If you were going to play a game of dodgeball in a spinning 'wheel'-type space station, it might be necessary...but not here.
No, that would be the Coriolis Force you're confusing there.

Centripetal "gravity" is indistinguishable from real gravity. The only difference is that dropped items follow a curving path to the floor (as seen by the dropper), not a straight line.

BigSlide, don't stress over Bubba's latent "goin' postal" tendencies. He shows these personality flaws pretty regularly. Take him with several grains of salt. I do. :) Just keep remembering that only fools stoop to argumentum ad hominen. Mostly it's a last resort - but for Bubba, it's the first thing he does.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Mobius wrote:Centripetal "gravity" is indistinguishable from real gravity.
Let's celebrate people. Mobi said something insightful! :D

They are using the cable to minimise the length of their runway (by going round in circles they have an endless runway, plus, the rotational movement induced by the cable ensures the car follows a given track without deviating due to wind or other irregularities).

Yes, the car reaches 200mph on it's own.

Having said that, it's not so impressive after all. Some moving parts in machinery reach much higher peak speeds than that. Rotation is in some way cheating, due to the extra guidance provided by the cable. It would be way off trajectory before it could even reach a fraction of 200mph in a straight line.

Oh well. Next random fact? :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

watch the Glow R/C carefully...

At the start it is almost a foot away from the wall and when it speeds up it comes almost to the edge (about 4"). Just think about when that cable snaps on occasion!!
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Mobius wrote:No, that would be the Coriolis Force you're confusing there.
FU :) I didn't actually explicitly confuse anything...(although you ARE actually right, you made an assumption!)
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Krom wrote:Heh! I could just imagine about 500 people sitting there with their heads spinning following the car.
lol
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

HOLY FOSHIZNIT!! :!: :!: :!: :!: