New CTF level, nearing completion...

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

I'll leave it out then. :) Skippyness is no good...
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

my proposed solution
There is no "solution".
Guess I'm just playing with the right bunch of people.
As little as I play Varicose Veins, I saw it occur somewhere between 5 and 10 times. The people that did it of course were total jackasses, and the admin wasn't around.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

But there is...

What's wrong with my idea of having wind force out anything that tries to enter the protected room? You cannot respawn with a flag, right?

Idea #2: I can mod a Black Shark to do no damage, and people can use that to suck players with the flag out of the protected rooms. (I'd rather not do this though... as it causes other problems with weapon balance, and whatnot.)

I'm not trying to fight you on this, and I really appreciate your input, I just I don't see why it's impossible to have protected respawn points with no way to prevent ghosting.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Slowguy wrote:I'll leave it out then. :) Skippyness is no good...
Ah -- leave it in but let the server ops know to disable it. Nice to have it in for a LAN party.
Slowguy wrote:I just I don't see why it's impossible to have protected respawn points with no way to prevent ghosting.
You can't prevent ghosting -- so, if there's a safe respawn point someone could hog the flag. If you make it so that you could somehow reach for the guy w/ the flag in the respawn point it's not "safe" anymore and ppl can exploit that. I'm not sure why there should be "safe" respawn points anyway -- most levels don't have them and I never thought of it as a problem.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I have to echo Grendel on both point to a T. Weapons and itmes can and should be disabled by the server ops. I voiced this a could of times when I built Keg Part and left the Proxy mines in there because the original had it.

"Safe" spawn points could be "safer" spawn points where you spawn in, in an area a short way away from the action, maybe an alcove around the corner with multiple points in it. Not in a room by itself, but an area where you are less likely to get spawn killed. I get spawn killed and camped in EVERY GAME that I've played on-line. It's just that way. people that want the easy kill will seek one out regardless.

btw The blackshark idea would be really cool. great way to hold someone at bay while you're taking off with the flag. ;D 1 in a difficult or secluded area would be great. Maybe for another level? I knowyou said this level has some pretty small areas. Not very ideal for that kinda weapon.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

I guess I could leave the safe respawn points out... I just thought they would be kind of cool.

Leave the AB cooler in? take the AB cooler out? lol. Hmm, leaving it in and having the server decide doesn't sound like a bad idea. I mean, it would be nice if I left people with an option... I shall think about it. :P

Duper: Yeah, I think you're right, I don't think this would make a very good Black Shark level... Maybe something like Halcyon? Yeah I think modded Black Sharks in Halcyon would be awesome. I don't know if I'll have time to make another level after this one though...

Here's a little update on level progress:

The level structure is about 90% complete, (Actually it would have been 100% complete, but I decided to go back and try an smooth things out a bit. Also I'm wanting to add an extra room or two. Non-accessible rooms, you know, just for looks)
Texturing is also about 90% complete.
Terrain is 100% complete...
Currently the level has no objects in it (I removed them all because I had to move major parts of the level around.) So I'm going to need to add the objects again. (Player starts, weapons, goals, etc.)
Lighting needs to be redone. That should take quite a while.
I want to add sound sources.

Well that's about all I can think of right now... :|

Here are some (current) level stats (So you know what I'm dealing with here :P):

58 rooms (18 external)
32,347 Faces
40,315 Vertices
96 Portals
6 Doors (Soon to be only 2)
5 Energy Centers (2 at each base, and one in-between bases.)
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

A little update...

Everything is done except for:

Terrain lighting
Sound sources
A few table file entries (modded missile trails)
Writing the readme file

I'm going on vacation for a week... so expect the level to be released sometime around the end of next week. ;)

Edit: If anyone knows how to fix this strange line problem on the terrain (phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=116089#116089) please let me know!
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I'm looking forward to trying this one out.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

Sorry for the wait. Everything is done now (I decided to get rid of the sound sources... I couldn't get them to work right :() so I just need to upload the file and post links. Check back tomorrow afternoon (or evening.) I should have it uploaded by then. I would do it now, but I really need to get some sleep... and uploading 3.67 megs on dial-up takes forever. :(
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Could be worse... I remember uploading 7 1/2 MB on a 28k modem a few years back... wasn't ABSOLUTELY forever but it was nearly half an hour from memory.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Cool Slow! I was just wondering about this yesterday ..er.. in conjunction with my own. :roll: hehe, can't wait!

What was going on with the sound points?
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

Well, I'm having trouble uploading the file at Koolbear's site... I tried last night, and twice today but it just doesn't want to work. Maybe I'll try uploading again later. Or maybe if someone wants to upload it for me, somewhere else, then that would be great. ;)

Sirius: Yeah you're right, it doesn't take too long. I think it's about 15-20 minutes for me. Heh, it just seems forever. :P

Duper: Umm, I think the problem was that there were external rooms between internal rooms... The sound would play in an internal room, but then you'd fly from that room to an external room, and the sound would stop playing, but as soon as you'd reach another internal room the sound would play again. It's kind of hard to explain. It's like the sounds were segmented between rooms.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Oh OK. Yea, I understand what you're talking about. Keg Party has some issues like that. Never did figure out why. I think it had to do with portals.

Send the level to Planet Descent.

Hurry!! I'm turning my online service on monday. :( I'll try to find a way to get that total chaos level uploaded when i finish.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

If you're having troubles, Slowguy, I'd be more than happy to help out with the uploading.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ok.. I see it on the Planet Descent, but File Planet doesn't seem to want to give me access to it. Do you need to be a subscriber?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

You don't need to be a paying subscriber: anyone with a GameSpy account can download from FilePlanet, but it's only the FilePlanet subscribers that are guaranteed instant access.

This level is pending on both dfiles.de (PD's non-FilePlanet download resource--"DF"), and Levels4you.com.

It's available on my own server, here (link removed, 7/13/05), but the download speed would only be around 50KB/s at the max (waiting for SBC's Lightspeed :)).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Thanks Thorne.

btw, I don't get that terrain lighting glitch. hrpmf! :D
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

That's good... yeah I think you were right, I think that terrain lighting thing was a driver problem.

Thanks Thorne, for hosting the file on your server for now. I think I'll create a new topic announcing release once the file is uploaded to PD or at L4Y. Unless you think I should do it now... I kinda want to wait till the auto-downloads work though. :/ I dunno. :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

actually, that would be a good idea..that way there arn't going to be folks that have to go looking for it if they don't want. It's one of the coolest features of D3 imo.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Unbelieveable beauttiful level. Looks like its gonna be great.

My 2 cents:

No blackshark. You could fire it down those tunnels and hammer people with other weps while they are sucked. The crazy damage isn't the only reason why people don't have sharks in levels.

No napalm. You ever have the problem where someone shoots a napalm right in front of you and (if you are frugal like me) you gotta sit there for about 15 seconds waiting for it to go away. Also, if you nape those tunnels, its gonna be hours before you can get through. Also again, leaving napes out doesn't let those pheenies tag a wall above them so that you hurt when you follow. All this adds up to: napalm slows down the gameplay.

This level is secksi! Get someone to host it.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Can someone post a link to the map plz???
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'll try to get it up on PD in the next few days. In the meantime, you can grab it from my own server space here.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Thank you :D
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

X2 Top!

Thanks!
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Man just looking at all the screenshots gets me nostalgic. I'm getting all choked up over here. Now I really can't wait to get my rig up and running!!!
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I can't wait to get home tonight and load it up in SP just to check it out ... looks awesome from the pics.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

It kills my framerate. That's a good sign of uber-detail.

Excellente.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Ya, im having some framerate lags too. Its a seksy map tho ...