Friendly Fire CTF

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Friendly Fire CTF

Post by Canuck »

I love this toggled on, much more when your teamates are aware of it :P !

It's like play in D2, you have to have skill in order to play this mode instead of spraying the area with weapons fire. Stop firing when your teamate crosses in front of you.

Suddenly frags are more tactical, and vauss is more of a burst shot when your teamates are in the fray.

Trifusion now takes out half your own team if your all crowded in the base. Now you have to be a bit more careful when lobbing it. Watching where your teamates are is imperative.

So next time you jump into CTF on the Von servers be aware friendly fire is on, and try to avoid killing your own flag carrier and teamates. It's harder than it sounds.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

But I wanna spray my Fusion at everyone! I just wanna! :P
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

When you kill your own flag carrier, can you just pick up the flag and score for yourself? :twisted: :wink:
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

If the flag carrier thinks you did it on purpose though, watch your back in the next melee... ;)
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

There's a couple problems with friendly fire:

Generally there's some idiot who has no clue and keeps shooting teammates. He's not a real threat but his team wounding sucks.

Then there's people with attitudes. MISTAKES happen, and it is real easy to moth friendly trifusion... People get mad and start Tking.

These are both "people problems" and not really mod problems... But something needs to be done to discourage TK's (kick+5 min ban for too many too soon?)
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

D3k Xta games were so much fun.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

WarAdvocat wrote:There's a couple problems with friendly fire:

Generally there's some idiot who has no clue and keeps shooting teammates. He's not a real threat but his team wounding sucks.

Then there's people with attitudes. MISTAKES happen, and it is real easy to moth friendly trifusion... People get mad and start Tking.

These are both "people problems" and not really mod problems... But something needs to be done to discourage TK's (kick+5 min ban for too many too soon?)
(Sorry, I hope this make sence... if not I'll try and explain better.)

We are working on that... We are testing a 'punishment' system for players that TK too many times. We haven't really looked at kicking people out though because we don't know how people would feel about that.

Here is how it works...

TkPunishment = <num> The server op sets the number of TKs for punishment
TKGrace = <num> Number of seconds of good behavior required to reduce one TK from your TKCounter (accidents happen you know)
TKCounter = Number of times you have made a TK
TKTime = Last time you made a TK (used to figure when to subtract a TK)

When you TK you get one TK added to your TKCounter. If that counter is equal to the TKPunishment value you are punished and your TKCoutner reset to zero. If you manage to not TK anyone for a perior longer than the TKGrace timer you will have a TK removed from your TKCounter. The TKGrace timer works so that if your good long enough you can get your TKCounter back to zero if you manage to not TK anyone. Lets say you have 2 TKs and the grace timer was set to 2 minutes. If you donâ??t TK anyone for about 4 minutes your counter would get back to 1 TK after the first 2 minutes and 0 after the 2nd 2 minutes (4 minutes total). Your TKCounter can never be less than 0

The only way to punish a player is to force them to suicide or kick them out of the game. Kicking them seems a little harsh so we suicide them but kicking them could be possible. All of these settings are set by the server operator.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

That sounds fairly well thought out.

How about a time-out with that suicide? is that possible?
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

WarAdvocat wrote:That sounds fairly well thought out.

How about a time-out with that suicide? is that possible?
No, it's not possible with out the D3 source code. We have tried several things to 'time them out' including freezing the player controls. None of the options really work. One good thing about the suicide option is it removes a score from the team in team-anachary just as it would if you suicide with out the FF option. Depending on how hard you want the game to be you could set the penalty counter at 1 so every time you TKd someone you would be punished or a little easier game could set the counter at 5 and enable the Grace timer. It will really make the team have to work as a team and not just out to get as many kills for your self. We are thinking of setting the defaults to 3 TKs and 120 seconds on the Grace but these are all settable by the operator.

RC
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Unix wrote:When you kill your own flag carrier, can you just pick up the flag and score for yourself? :twisted: :wink:
We haven't thought of this yet so let me ask. If you kill your teammate who has the flag should the flag return to base automatically? That would make the game much more challenging and could be optional if it's possible to even do.

RC
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

i play anarchy in ctf so it dont matter ;p
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Zero! wrote:i play anarchy in ctf so it dont matter ;p
:)
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

I played in a FF team game last night. I thought it was a lot of fun. Definitely adds a new dimension to the game I think.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Hows this? Enemy steals flag. You quickly change sides, and meet flag carrier as he triumphantly comes in to score. You kill flag carrier and pickup flag. You then change back to your original team...since you are carrying flag, by changing back flag is now returned. You are now hero for preventing a score.
Yes I can see how this could get real interesting. :wink:
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I always though double-agent pilots would be a cool addition to team games.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I like the idea! Pilots flooding a tunnel with napalm, but their teammates getting through without a scratch always seemed a bit wrong.

That TK punishment system seems good, although one or two quick mistakes with a mortar or trifusion can easily make for a high number of accidental TKs, so the "grace" may have to be adjusted after some testing.

I'm not sure the scenario Woodchip brought up will be a huge problem (team switches are pretty obvious, especially if it happens multiple times), but it's worth thinking about.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Yeah, we're still testing the TK system. So far I have to say that its working pretty well.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

D3 Wankers, you guys are just spoiled......

Team Damage should have always been on. One of the many mistakes Outrage performed when it was seperated from it's logical side Volition.

Just like Volition lost it's creative side and fell into the Groundpounder gutter@!
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

BUBBALOU wrote:Team Damage should have always been on.
I would have to sort of agree. Only maybe not on the very beginner level.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

MD-2389 wrote:Yeah, we're still testing the TK system. So far I have to say that its working pretty well.
We are making a couple more improvements to the TK punishment system. Hopefully by the end of the weekend we will have it up and running on a server near you.

Some of the new (and old) features are:

Punish TKrs with a suicide (optional)
Kick TKrs out of the game for a cooldown time (optional)
Ban TKrs untill the next game start (optional)
Adjustable cooldown time
Grace time for multi TKs (very short timer 1 or 2 seconds) where you can TK as many friend as you can and it only counts as 1
Exit and ReEntering game doesn't forget your TK Counts
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

The Von servers are running the newest version of the FF code with TK Penaltys.

Punish: 2 TKs
Kick: 10 TKs
Ban: 20 TKs

Every two minutes you don't TK someone will remove one TK from your TK Counter.

Try them out and let me know what you think. Maybe the numbers are a little too high for kick and ban? If you're not TK'n the cooldown timer should keep you in the game. I'll adjust the settings if they don't seem right.