Looking for "zero footprint" PC solutions ... he

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Looking for "zero footprint" PC solutions ... he

Post by Sup »

hey all ..

figured i'd come here cause i know some of you are on the bleeding edge of whats out there. here's the deal:

i DJ digitally and am building a live rig that includes a PC, screen, keyboard, trackball, and two MIDI controllers. most people use a laptop for the PC/screen combo, but i want something better.

the idea is save stage / DJ booth space by making the computer as inconspicuous as possible. use the extra space for your larger screen - your controllers - and your CDJ / other FX units.

but the solution has to be:

- fast or faster than an equivelant laptop would be
- has all the connectors / components available for audio interface / firewire / usb units
- has networking to transfer files from your studio rig or wherever
- must be at least or more durable than a laptop

what enclosures are availble for something like that? im doing research but am pretty out of the loop on this ... rackmount PCs? some other solution that im not aware of?

if you want to check out some of the stuff im doing see my site at http://www.joshvon.com :)
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

ok:

i'm looking at 1u server rack units. anybody build one of these? any experiences?

would be a bonus if it would take an AMD 64 and a nForce mboard.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Have you looked in to some of the micro-atx systems that are supposed to be for LANs?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Warning: 1U rack mount PC will be EXTREMELY noisy. You don't want it.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Really, Mobius? Tell that to the radio station I work at where we have not one but *two* 1U rack mount PC's sitting next to the mics, in addition to about eight or nine other 1U devices.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

If you wanna go non-PC, those Mac-Minis are so inconspicuous they're practically invisible.

Link

But, you have to check your heterosexuality at the door.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

DCrazy wrote:Really, Mobius? Tell that to the radio station I work at where we have not one but *two* 1U rack mount PC's sitting next to the mics, in addition to about eight or nine other 1U devices.
You must have quite atypical 1U systems then. Ordinarily, these things sit in Server Rooms, and the tiny fan size, coupled with powerful CPUs normally results in a sound you most definitely do NOT want to be around.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well, the point is twofold: 1) the fans point *away* from the mics. 2) The computers don't do the heavy lifting, as that's what the components are for. MIDI controlling doesn't require the most powerful machine on the planet; PCs are used to keep everything else in sync.

Plus, Sup probably doesn't even have a mic to worry about; his PC's can be as loud as they want because the music he's playing will most assuredly be louder, and he'll be wearing headphones to boot.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Not to mention not everyone cares about noise...
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I was talking with the "server guys" where I work (we were discussing upgrades for two servers I work with)... and they were talking about their newest servers... that came with improved venting and fans... and run VERY quite.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Hey Sup good to see ya.

Have you looked into any of the small footprint solutions from Shuttle? Small and they have a nice look to em as well.

http://us.shuttle.com/
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

thanks for the replies guy .. sup jmeat ;)

yes ive heard conflicting things about the 1u solutions as far as noise.

but yes, noise level is not as much a factor as heat and durability. ive heard that the small enclosures can get hot, and im not sure they're really built to go on the road and / or take airline bag handling

i am starting to look at a bare bones solution like the Shuttle that would sit on the floor, with a just a tablet screen and mini keyboard / kensington trackball in front of me. that leaves plenty of room for my two MIDI controllers and a CDJ unit or two

question again is whether the shuttle would be roadworthy as well .. dunno ..
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

As for roadworthy, beware any server rack mount or desktop PC will have desktop hard drives, which are generally safe from one LAN to the next, but it is best not to bump them that much. If you want something that really is roadworthy then a notebook PC is really your only option. Desktop drives aren't built to take the same kind of abuse a 2.5" laptop drive can often take.

But that doesn't mean you can't use a 2.5" laptop drive in one of those shuttle barebones systems. ;) You can buy 2.5" drives from newegg or a lot of other online outfits, all you need is the extra mounting hardware so it fits in a 3.5" bay and a 2.5" ---> 3.5" ribbon/power cable adapter (also should be available at newegg). They even make 7200 RPM laptop drives these days near 60-100 GB capacity so you aren't missing out that much performance vs a desktop drive. The rest of the computer should be able to handle any reasonable shock, but again not quite the abuse a laptop can take. :P
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

Krom wrote: that doesn't mean you can't use a 2.5" laptop drive in one of those shuttle barebones systems.
interesting idea ... yeah, it was my LAN traveling days that really make me concerned about the durability

it was never the hardrive, it was normally PCI cards that would come unseated by the time i pulled all my stuff out of the car at some descent fest in NY, atlanta or chicago ;)

then i would have to open up the case and troubleshoot for the first half hour. annoying. in the case where i would be playing some club after getting off an airplane, this is not acceptable ..

the XPCs look pretty solid though, no need for big PCI cards because most of what i need is onboard, you can also put them in a shoulderbag and take them on the plane with you
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Sup! :)
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

watSup!
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

Vander wrote:watSup!
hahhaha ... u got the spelling right!

ok, why did the words "burning indika" just pop into my head? :P

watSup with u man!
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

A word of warning about the Shuttle XPCs: they run hot (I have one) and depending on how warm some of your danceclubs get you might find heat becoming a major issue. I'd go with a ruggedized laptop/tablet PC.
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

sup bash ..

*sniff* dam, more burning indika! :D

haha, no way with you too here it makes me feel like a game! lol

too funny. we kicked ass in there for like 6 months straight. fun times

yeah i hear you about the heat. shuttle claims thier cooling systems are amazing, but i guess if you say theyre not so good, dunno then ..

the more im thinking the more i think going back with a small footprint laptop, keeping it closed and putting a nice external monitor on top. then run a mini keyboard and everthing else from that.

because then i could still use the laptop traveling etc.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Panasonic makes good, ruggedized laptops (Toughbook), but they can be pricey...