Break yout computer in 3 easy steps!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Break yout computer in 3 easy steps!

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Step one: Order one of these

Step two: Open your computer case

Step three: toss magnet in and watch diodes, transistors, capacators and hard drives tear themselves out of all the boards in the case and fly toward the magnet as it adheres itself to the nearest chunk of metal :shock:
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Oh man, that would be fun. Wish I had $115 and a spare PC to waste ...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Seen those before. :P
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Only thing is, they won't sell you one of those magnets unless you have a buying history of lesser magnets. Like they say, those things are bloody dangerous, and it would be very easy to kill yourself with one.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

kill yourself...you mean if you were holding it and a 400 lb chunk of metal came flying at you like darth vader threw it with his mind?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

That might not happen, necessarily.

But other things could. Pulling knives out of a rack, perhaps?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

That magnet can lift 400 pounds.

Thus, it is a relatively simple assumption that it can smash soft tissue with the equivalent of 400 pounds of pressure if said soft tissue is caught between the magnet and something being attracted to it. This could be very dangerous, particularly if the magnet is drawn to fixed object, and has a chance to accelerate on the way.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but that seems enough to crush bone... Or any vital organ in the way of the magnet...

On a lighter note, human 'fridge magnets anyone??
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

400 pounds probably can't crush you to death so easily, but it is enough to make your life less then easy. :P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i never knew this about fixing a monitor or a TV after it has been damaged by a magnet near the screen...

DIY Fix For CRT's

i found this link off of the webpage for the magnets
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Sirius wrote:That might not happen, necessarily.

But other things could. Pulling knives out of a rack, perhaps?
My exact thoughts! Great KIWIS **DO** think alike! ;)
Krom wrote:400 pounds probably can't crush you to death so easily, but it is enough to make your life less then easy.
So, you could breathe with 400 lbs sitting on your sternum? Sorry: you're dead. :P

The real unknown though, and the part which is likely to kill you, is how quickly does the magnetic force drop off? Is it an inverse square like gravity? So that doubling the distance drops the force to 1/4?

It seems likely the magnetic fields, despite being incredibly strong, do not reach far from the magnet. If it reached more than a foot, with any strength, then it'd be a very dangerous item indeed, but if at 6 inches the pull is only 50 lbs, then it'd be pretty safe.

Certainly, I wouldn't want to handle one of these things if the forces don't dissipate rapidly with distance.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

"Lets talk about earth magnets and how cool they are" take #15
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Mobius wrote:
Krom wrote:400 pounds probably can't crush you to death so easily, but it is enough to make your life less then easy.
So, you could breathe with 400 lbs sitting on your sternum? Sorry: you're dead. :P
mobius, have you ever done whats called a "Dog Pile" ?

where a bunch of people just suddenly jump on top of you while your laying on the ground....... and a weight that by far passes 400 LBS's even i can still breathe with 10-15 people piled on top of me.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

heh heh heh. Ace you really should stick to blowing Mexican's legs off. :)

If you had a 400 lbs of pressure in a circular area approximately 3 inches across affecting your sternum, it would be difficult indeed to breathe.

Take 15 200 lb dudes and you get 3000 lbs. The weight, however, is distributed much more evenly. The guy on the bottom would take a large amount of weight, but it'd be spread over a large area as well.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I think we need to be clear on the fact that the magnet will only exert 400 lbs of force (pressure is force/area) if it's stationary up against your skull (or whatever else you want to crush). If the magnet started at the other end of the room and accelerated toward your skull then well... you have a lot more force. If something smaller is flying toward the magnet and your head is in the way, the force will be the same, but the pressure will be higher because there's less area and it could possibly go through your skull... maybe... =)
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Palzon wrote:kill yourself...you mean if you were holding it and a 400 lb chunk of metal came flying at you like darth vader threw it with his mind?
Magnets don't kill people, People kill people.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Only for seriously seasoned magnet handlers.
That's a joke, right? :roll:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Um... magnetic force is proportional to the charge on the item you're attracting. A smaller object will probably have less of that, ergo less force on it... but it may fly just as fast because the mass is lower as well. Oh, and air resistance.

When you're talking about flying objects, momentum is probably what you're worried about... that and stopping force/pressure, which yes, is why magnets pulling bullets through your head would be rather dangerous.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

They would probably make good generator mags for ac.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

WarAdvocat wrote:heh heh heh. Ace you really should stick to blowing Mexican's legs off. :)

If you had a 400 lbs of pressure in a circular area approximately 3 inches across affecting your sternum, it would be difficult indeed to breathe.

Take 15 200 lb dudes and you get 3000 lbs. The weight, however, is distributed much more evenly. The guy on the bottom would take a large amount of weight, but it'd be spread over a large area as well.
i know there is a difference, but its not that much different. 3 inch circle of 400 LBS vs. 10-15 people piled up on top of you...... thats alot of weight, also considering that there are going to be legs, arms, elbows, knees ETC ETC ETC.... that could have all that weight shoved into you.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

oudn't it remove the iron from a body part if you touched it with your bare hands?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

No. That takes A LOT of force.

It is possible though.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Iceman wrote:Magnets don't kill people, People kill people.
Hrch hrch hrch!

I am just imagining Darkside moving into the hospital, his hand squeezed between his computer and the pull of the super magnet ... :roll: ... three easy steps? :lol:
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

heh heh heh. Ace you really should stick to blowing Mexican's legs off.
Haha!!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel wrote:
Iceman wrote:Magnets don't kill people, People kill people.
Hrch hrch hrch!

I am just imagining Darkside moving into the hospital, his hand squeezed between his computer and the pull of the super magnet ... :roll: ... three easy steps? :lol:
It'd also make for the ultimate practical joke at a LAN party. ;) Stick one of those under someone's case and they'll never be able to pick it up. ;) Sliding it off won't work either because it'll catch on the edge and flop on the back. :D
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Better yet, put it on the bottom of a van and tool around the city stealing all the manhole covers.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I wonder how they mail these.... god... imagine mailing the 400lbs magnet in a cardboard box over fedex as a prank.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Magnets may share the same field strength to distance relationship as gravity, but I know they drop off pretty quickly. Knives would not fly at you from across the room.

However, stuff doesn't just go to magnets. Magnets go to stuff. If you're holding this and happen to walk past something solid and metal, and walk too close, it would lurch suddenly into it and crush your hand. 400lbs pinning your smashed palm to a drain pipe is quite the predicament.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Phoenix Red wrote:However, stuff doesn't just go to magnets. Magnets go to stuff.
That's not quite true. The attraction is mutual. So whatever is lighter, or not fixed to its place, will move. It could even happen that both the magnet and a piece of metal it attracts move towards each other.

Btw, do you know this slapstick movie, where that guy operates a giant electro magnet and pulls a complete submarine through the wall to it? Hehe!
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Actually, this magnet won't make knives fly around rooms. The action radius of a magnet is limited, and diminishes in square power with distance...

If you get your fingers caught between the magnet and a flat ferro-surface, then I'd say you've a problem. But other than that, as soon as you're a few inches away from it the attraction is not so impressive. I bet it doesn't even move a ferro-coin at a 50cm range.

Electromagnets, now that's another story ;)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

AceCombat wrote:
WarAdvocat wrote:heh heh heh. Ace you really should stick to blowing Mexican's legs off. :)

i know there is a difference, but its not that much different. 3 inch circle of 400 LBS vs. 10-15 people piled up on top of you...... thats alot of weight, also considering that there are going to be legs, arms, elbows, knees ETC ETC ETC.... that could have all that weight shoved into you.
Ace, study up on PSI and then come back here. There will be a quiz.