Descent 1 LAN

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Galgum
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Descent 1 LAN

Post by Galgum »

To get this out of the way before I make my post: I did a forum search and found nothing in regards to what I'm about to ask.

Basically, I found my old Descent 1 and 2 discs, remembering what fun I had back in the old days on Kali with them. Of course, I didn't expect Descent 1 to run, short of busting out the old command prompt and loading it. No sound and the game moved incredibly fast. I knew how to fix this, found D1X and extracted it into the Descent 1 directory and that fixed everything, except one thing, the LAN feature. I know Descent 3 works, I play that at LAN parties often enough, but for some reason, between my 2 computers, I couldn't get a TCP/IP connection to happen. It worked find with the other games, just not Descent 1. I installed the IPX adapter onto my networks cards and tried that. Funny thing, I started the game on the server comp, but on my 2nd comp, it couldn't see the game, however, if I went to the game lift first, then started the game, it could see it. Either way, I was unable to join each time and I have no idea why. I was hoping you wonderful people could shed some like on this for me, I'm very interested in bringing some old school Descent 1 back to LAN Partys. Thanks in advance.

By the way, is there still a way to play Descent 1, 2, or 3 over the internet?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

http://www.kali.net, Descent 1 and 2

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4953, Descent 3

I know Descent 2 and 3 are still being played last time I checked. Not sure about Descent 1.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Forget D1x or D2x if you are using Windows XP.
Use D2x-W32. Its much better and has more features then D2/x or D1/x. It also supports D1! Meaning you can play D1 or D2 with the D2x-W32.
Go HERE to read about and download D2x-W32 for D1 or D2.
For updates, go HERE.
For bug report or suggestions go HERE.
As TigerRaptorFX said. Kali is the place for D1 and D2. But as far as LAN goes. The D2x-W32 project works best for LAN games by far! :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

D2x-W32 does not allow you to play Descent 1 games however (unless there have been really massive changes I didn't notice) - it isn't a cure-all, but you can play D1 levels with it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sirius,

what makes you think you cannot play D1 games with D2X-W32? D2X-W32 can read D1 levels. It will replace the D1 textures with their D2 equivalents, resulting in minor visual differences that are not vital for gameplay, and even load the D1 weapon data. That means you can play D1 multiplayer games with D2X-W32 and get the original D1 feeling (apart from a few different textures).
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It can't communicate with D1x? At least I'd be surprised if it could.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sirius,

you are right: D2X-W32 cannot communicate with D1(X).

you didn't speak of D2X-W32 communicating with D1(X) however. You wrote about playing D1 games/missions with D2X-W32. ;)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Sirius,
I do recall the question being about D1 LAN games. I told him about D2x-w32 and it being able to play "LAN Games" with D1.
I realise that I should have been a bit more specific about it being able to communicate with D1(x) or not.
However. As in my post I did not leave a direct link to downloading the files, because I wanted him to goto the website and read about what it can do before downloading.
Maybe next time you should take notice? :P

EDIT: BTW, to be a bit more specific.... D2x-w32 also has more feature for LAN and Internet options.
But hey... he would know that if he went and read up on it? :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Okay. Here goes.

I said 'Descent 1 games', which includes Descent 1 multiplayer games. For obvious reasons (no-one using D1 could join it) D2x cannot take part in those. It was cutting the edge a bit, but I thought it was clear enough. Might have been mistaken.

And what I was responding to was this comment:
Aus-RED-5 wrote:Forget D1x
If you actually want to play over Kali, this is probably a bad idea as most D1 games do not use D2x-W32 at this time.