Changing MP3 information

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Buck
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Changing MP3 information

Post by Buck »

Just got a copy of the best 500 songs since 1960. I've added a detail column called "category" in both Itunes and music folder in explorer and in Windows media player. Is there a way to change this information directly in explorer so it will be recognized and listed under the same column in both Itunes and Windows media player? I'm adding this additional information column because I don't want to change things like genre but I want to be able to sort out The Best 500. I want to add this information before I import the songs to the players so they don't get lost in the rest of the songs when I do.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Their are a couple of tag editors out that can do mass updates on the MP3 Tags. Do a search on google for them.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mp3+tag+edit

RC
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

MP3 supports a "Rating" field.

In Winamp, right click on the file, and select "Rate Items" and then select 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 stars.

Then you can sort by Rating.

Voila.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I've actually found that tag editors only let you work on one file at a time, so that mass changes become a tedious chain of:

select field
ctrl-v
down-arrow (or whatever the select next key is)

Is there a mass tag editing solution? I've tried a bunch of different programs without success. I did find a nice one that will do batch RENAME of files based on tag info, which was half the battle.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

FOOBAR2000 it comes with MassTagger

does that sound like it'll solve it for you?
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I think iTunes will let you do mass tag edits.
Buck
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Buck »

I can mass tag in both Media Player and Itunes but they don't change the tag in the source files unless I pick something like genre. Both Itunes and Media player have a tag called "Category" which I can change in the program but they don't update the source file in My Music which is what I want to do. Does Foobar update the source file?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The Winamp5 Media Library can do some mass tag editing.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Buck wrote:I can mass tag in both Media Player and Itunes but they don't change the tag in the source files unless I pick something like genre. Both Itunes and Media player have a tag called "Category" which I can change in the program but they don't update the source file in My Music which is what I want to do. Does Foobar update the source file?
It can. If its not playing the file it will write the info to the file by default as id3v1 and APEv2 tags, which would be faster than writing ID3v2 tags-except foobar2k doesn't read or write ID3v2 by default, you may need this component.

Once you are done tagging, you can put them onto your ipod directly from foobar.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I downloaded MP3TAG (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) and it does tag edits really well. It is an excellent tool ...