Cool Descent like game here !

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Cool Descent like game here !

Post by Descent-forever »

I'm looking for someone who knows one cool Descent-like game named "LANDER" from Psygnosis.
Here it is :
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3304
http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_te ... der&page=4

It comes out in year 1999 october together with Descent 3. LANDER have VERY VERY realistic physical model, and whas not so mutch playable in year 1999 because of mouses low quality, which where coming out in year 1999. But now it's realy COOLEST game between Descent-like games(such Forsaken is) And much more even cooler.

Is there enybody who knows, and is able to play LANDER as ACE ? (like i do)

Second - is there somewhere in WWW a LANDER fun site or something ? Psygnosis is go away R.I.P. dut LANDER is alive and IS a COOLEST GAME IN THE WORLD whith unique gameplay ! So what should we do about that ? With out Psygnosis www support...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I downloaded this a while ago, back when roid (I think) was singing its praises, but I've only started playing it recently. It took me a little while to become proficient with controlling the craft, but once I did, I've found that it's a very addictive and enjoyable game.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

oooooh yeah
<-- resident DBB psygnosis lander nut

i shoved this website onto the internet a few months back when i was bored. just coz there wasn't a lander website anywhere on the internet, so i figured i should put SOMETHING up - even if just a placeholder.
http://www.roid.hereweb.com/

check out the links (bottom button)
it prettymuch links to everything lander related on the internet.

i also have a cache of a few ppl on my trillian contact list (aim/icq/msn/yahoo) who are into lander - so that i can organise multiplayer games.
unfortunately the list is on my personal computer which just crapped itself last night (i hope i can fix it), i'm typing this from a laptop in the loungeroom.

lander's network code seriously sucks. LAGerific.
but it is an interesting test of skill to play with 300+ping.

when i get my computer back up and running i'll see if i can hook you up with some ppl if you want to play online. and add you and anyone else who wants to, to the list.

also here is a video i made up a while back
http://www.zzz.com.ru/zzz_original_site ... unnels.avi

also also: did you know it's possible to FLIP your lander in midair? it's difficult to master, but it's possible. (it's also hard to record, so i havn't been able to do that as yet)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

roid wrote:oooooh yeah

i shoved this website onto the internet a few months back when i was bored.
I like how the side buttons have no labels...Kind of like a guessing game. :)

I tried this game back when roid first posted it, pretty fun and more challenging than Descent to pilot.
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Xamindar wrote:I like how the side buttons have no labels...Kind of like a guessing game. :)
rofl
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

WOW !
Magnificent site.
Where did you been so long :)
I've been looking for a site like this sence october 1999, until this day :).
So some time ago i do my own site in russian, becose my english is very bad.
Wellcome to my Lander fan site friends :)
www.lander-forever.narod.ru
It's on russian, but if you have someone how knows russian he can translate content preety well
I can't do it, becouse it's very complicated, to translate from russian to english for russian-speaking people, for English-speaking people translating will becomes mutch more simpler.

Lander is the best ! :)
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

wow! they look cool, wish I cou... :( ...heh, oh well, D3 is good enuff for me :)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I got the DVD version of Lander in 1999 when it first came out. I never completed it though, because on level 15 at the exact same point in the game, it would hard crash my PC.

I discovered the Flip was possible fairly early on.

Did you know that the physics engine is actually the Lunar Module (LEM) software, in toto (all of it) and the only difference between the LEM simulator and Lander is that Lander deploys a constant thrust on-off type main engine, whereas the LEM used an always-on, variable thrust motor.

I almost wish Lander had the option to switch to a variable thrust motor, as this would make hovering much much easier.

If you enable the joystick, the controls are MUCH easier, as letting the stick go performs the same job as hitting the "W" key: to right the craft.

Roid - as far as I was aware, there's some issue with installing Lander under Windows XP. Can you please remind me how to get it going under XP? Isn't it something about installing it in the root of C:\ Drive and not into a subfolder?

Cheers.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Well I can vouch for the issue. I downloaded it and tried to install, but all i got was a blank screen and a locked up system. Help would be appreciated.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Setting it to Win98 compatibility mode worked for me.
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Liquid Fire

If you just install the game and run it - you will got a black screen. You must set a capebility with win98 mode for Lander.exe
Go to Lander->LanderD3D->Lander.exe and click RightMouseButton on "Lander.exe"
Then go to "Properties -> Сompatibility". And make a tick into "Run this program in compatibility mode for", and from the list choose "Windows98/Me"
Thet's all.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

No dice.

I set the compatibility, but the black screen still shows up each time I attempt to run it.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Did you make sure to run the included registry key? And do you have the game installed to C:\Lander?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Descent-forever wrote:WOW !
Magnificent site.
Where did you been so long :)
I've been looking for a site like this sence october 1999, until this day :).
i only uploaded it a few months ago and didn't tell many people about it because it is quite unpolished (poor quality).
Descent-forever wrote:So some time ago i do my own site in russian, becose my english is very bad.
Wellcome to my Lander fan site friends :)
www.lander-forever.narod.ru
It's on russian, but if you have someone how knows russian he can translate content preety well
I can't do it, becouse it's very complicated, to translate from russian to english for russian-speaking people, for English-speaking people translating will becomes mutch more simpler.

Lander is the best ! :)
ah, i already have your website listed on my website :) (it's description is all "??????????" because i don't know howto display russian text on my webpage). and yeah i do remember chatting with you over ICQ in the past - heh the language barrier sure was something.

if you can give me a basic very rough translation (but please better than babelfish) of your website, i can reword it into better english for you.

at the moment my main computer is not working (i fixed the previous problem, but now it can't connect to the network :(), which contains all of my ICQ contacts. so until i can fix that, we can't chat over icq.
Mobius wrote:I discovered the Flip was possible fairly early on.

Did you know that the physics engine is actually the Lunar Module (LEM) software, in toto (all of it) and the only difference between the LEM simulator and Lander is that Lander deploys a constant thrust on-off type main engine, whereas the LEM used an always-on, variable thrust motor.

I almost wish Lander had the option to switch to a variable thrust motor, as this would make hovering much much easier.
yeah thx for the flip idea, i never tried it until you were talking about it a while back.

lander DOES have a variable thrust motor. all you need to do is set it to a joystick axis (try the throttle) and TADA! you have a variable analog thruster.

when i play lander with the P5 glove (a virtual reality glove) i map the thruster inversely to my clenched fist - so the more open my hand is, the more thrust i get. it's like i have a thruster on my palm.

i swear i've told you this a few times before mobi.
and mate, you really REALLY need to check your private messages - and note the dates on them ;)
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Awesome, I got it to work. I was forced to put it on the c drive. That's no good 'cause that one's almost full :( oh well, at least I get to play it :)

Edit: The game is awesome. I played it for hours. Everything about it is just cool. Although right now I'm a little stuck. When you're supposed to blow up the fuel lines...what do you shoot at?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

you can blow them up to an extent, but you'll be told that you need something "more powerful"

pick up a nuke from another room and haul it there.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

I thought psygnosis jumped into the sea with it's lemmings...
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

It did.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Mobius wrote:toto
Umm, excuse me Mr. Dictionary, but that word DOES NOT EXIST!

Unless of course you are talking about Dorothy's dog in the Wizard of Oz. :P
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

SONY forbid backing up NEC's Dreamcast, but Psygnosis do it. So when Dreamcast declare bankrupt and NEC close down this project, psygnosis did not have a chance to stay alive. Sony never forget his faithlessness and close avery thing she can. www.psygnosis.com and so on, EVERYTHING.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

In toto is Latin.

NEC?? Perhaps you mean Sega?
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Now if only I could find someone to do multiplayer with...
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

yes, i mean SEGA (nec made only some hardware for DC)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Xamindar wrote:
Mobius wrote:toto
Umm, excuse me Mr. Dictionary, but that word DOES NOT EXIST!

Unless of course you are talking about Dorothy's dog in the Wizard of Oz. :P
in to·to (ĭn tō'tō) pronunciation
adv.

Totally; altogether: recommendations that were adopted in toto.

[Latin tōtō : in, in + tōtō, ablative of tōtus, all.]

Here's some good advice from Oscar Wilde: 'Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

I even provided the translation in my original post, because I knew a small percentage of uneducated DBBers would not know what it meant. Sometimes I'm glad I studied classical Latin for 5 years.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Liquid Fire wrote:Now if only I could find someone to do multiplayer with...
i have about 7 ppl on my contact list who play lander, including you and me it's 9.
unfortuantely none of them are local to me (australia) so it's difficult to play.

lander's network code is very VERY ping dependant.

but if you want i can hook you up with some ppl.
or you can play me in a 600+ ping game :twisted:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

LF, I'd be willing to give it a try; I'm even willing to risk that 600 ping, roid. :P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

well topgun if you've got any sort of instant message program give me a buzz (all info in my profile)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Жизнью будет спуск
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

никогда!
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I think it is interesting avi file

I'd record my demo avi file, so to find out how realy close are Descent and Lander (not specially, just come out naturally so I say for my self - "Hmmm... interesting avi, i must show it so you look at"
And here it is:

http://slil.ru/22433656/1219635913/joy_ballmice_cfg.avi

There is no sound, to make avi smaller. But it's show up gameplay very well in another case.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I've got the latest divx codec's but the video still doesn't work for me.. anyone else have this problem?
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Unix

Hmm... you are the first one with such a problem with this .avi i hear.
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

Descent-forever wrote:Unix

Hmm... you are the first one with such a problem with this .avi i hear.
make that the second one. I can't open it either.

EDIT: hmm, something funky with the download. I right-clicked/saved-as and the file I have is only 4KB. I opened it with notepad, and it's an html file. I followed the url and was prompted to save the actual avi (~19MB) file. Gave me a d/l speed of less than 10kb/s . . . :(
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

http://rapidshare.de/files/6329753/joy_ ... g.avi.html

Here we go. Full speed :)
DivX5 video. 18 Mb. Show Lander's gameplay. No sound.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I've read a few reviews on lander and discovered something interesting.

They all use the keyboard.

I cannot understand why anyone would use a keyboard for this game. It's so annoying, it needs a key mapped to "right craft". The spacebar-thruster has two functions. Off and orbital. It seems that playing this game with a keyboard is akin to building a skyscraper with a rock and stick.

On the other hand, flying with a joystick (with a THROTTLE) is like flying the helicopters in battlefield 2, only easier, more fun, and it doesn't kill you to hit stuff.

Perhaps this is the reason the game was not well recieved.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

The singleplayer endmovie is awesome :)

Leon
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Liquid Fire wrote:It's so annoying, it needs a key mapped to "right craft".
yikes. if you don't know about the "W" key (level-out) you'd find lander terribly frustrating.

lander is played with the mouse and keyboard. or the joystick and keyboard. i've never heard of ANYONE playing it solely with keyboard.
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Liquid Fire

Perhaps this is the reason the game was not well recieved.

You are absolutely right. I read many reviews and every one there play with keyboard ! There is no sense. Only mice+keyboard or joystick+keyboard or mice+joystick (my favorit config) is acceptably.
And in reviews they try it with keyboard only ! doorghhhh