Scarey Games

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Scarey Games

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Branching off of the Doom thread, and keeping in spirit of the halloween season, what are your favorite scarey games?

I got FEAR and have played through it a bit - its a solid, scarey game. The AI in it is amazing, definitly a surprise after playing more recent games where the monsters hardly even move out of their initial spawn locations.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Played Doom 3 which was supposed to be scary but it instead bored me. The last game I played that kinda scared me was Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Its one of a very few FPS that I actually enjoy. I cant think of any other game that "scared" me from recent memory, I guess I dont scare easily heh.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Descent 1/2

Nothing has scared me like those games being played in the dark with the sound on high in my headphones.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

You definitely can't spell "definitely" by leaving out the "a" you suspect is meant to be in there! At least you didn't succumb and put an "a" in! Thanks.
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

That McDonald's game for the Super Nintendo
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Mobius wrote:You definitely can't spell "definitely" by leaving out the "a" you suspect is meant to be in there! At least you didn't succumb and put an "a" in! Thanks.
STAY ON TOPIC YOU NEO NAZIS DICKHEAD!!!!!!!
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Mobius wrote:You definitely can't spell "definitely" by leaving out the "a" you suspect is meant to be in there! At least you didn't succumb and put an "a" in! Thanks.
No one here gives a rats azz. go hire some more 3 programmers.
------------------------------------------------------
and to stay on topic,
Since I have only really played a couple games on the computer, I'll go back to the old Nintendo 64 days.

Turoc the Dinasour hunter really sticks in my mind as being scary.walking up to the cliffs and looking over really got my vertigo going! such realism (for the day)!
My friends always laughed when I backed my character off from the cliffs because of my fear of hieghts!

Ya I know I'm a wimp :P
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

System

Shock

Krags
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Krags »

Dropshaft.

It's a secret level in the Descent (1) mission "IronStar". I was beaten, humiliated, and scared off by masterful use of the weakest enemies in the game, and that was on trainee.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Descent 1/2

Nothing has scared me like those games being played in the dark with the sound on high in my headphones.
x2 for D1. I've still never managed to get past level 13 or so, even on trainee (partly because of technical/framerate problems, partly because the bots >> me :P). Those damn Fusion Hulks are the scariest enemy out of any game I've ever played...that sound...
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Aliens vs Predator 1 or 2 :D
Clive Barker's Undying is also scary good
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

I'd also have to say that d1 n d2 made me change me knickers once or twice. Especially after a few vodkas in the middle of the night and you were trying to get through the levels quick and BOOM.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Yeah, those D1 Fusion Hulks always scared the bejeebus outta me. As for other games, The Thing was kinda scary (especially if you've just watched the movie, and it's dark and cold while you're playing).
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

F.E.A.R. prolly one of the scariest games I've played in a while. No BS monsters or overacting, just really good scares, and plenty of them. The game also looks amazing, and the A.I. is outstanding as well.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Liquid Fire wrote:System

Shock

hell yes, that game had me honestly FREAKED OUT with the zombies that you had to listen for. CLAUSTRAPHOBIA YES?! i had to be quiet and listen, then when i heard one i'd back myself into a corner of the largest room nearby. heart racing, wideeyed as i waited.
Asrale wrote:Aliens vs Predator 1 or 2 :D
heh, yeah that was a rush. First time i played that game was at an allnight lan - playing alien tag. 10 male teens and adults, SCREAMING. damn it was just like the real thing - all the marines would instinctively form a circle, backs to eachother, facing out all directions into the darkness, flaring & shooting at everything & anything. (incl eachother often)
:lol:
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Also, i gotta add half life 1 in there. i have gotten, to date, the biggest scare in that game, when i started walking down a ventilation shaft without my flashlight on, turned on my flashlight, saw nothing, than suddenly a headcrab leapt out at me; scared the bajeezus outta me.

second scariest moment was in FEAR:
[spoiler]
when you go down the ladder, look up, and the little girl is there - that gave me chills and got me jumpy. than, when you get to the bottom of the stairs and that dude jumps at you - scared the ★■◆● outta me, screamed outloud and emptied a couple shotgun blasts into the air, lol[/spoiler]

oh, and let me add that i definitely know how to spell definitely, i just dont proof read my forum work; thanks. if sometime you want to proof read one of my papers to verify this, go ahead. until then, youre probably the biggest tool alive.
XSabre
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by XSabre »

Some of my favorites scary include: Fatal Frame 1&2, Silent Hill series, Descent 1&2, and FEAR (awesome game as many have mentioned above).

I've been meaning to check out Siren as well...

@Vertigo: yeah, that part freaked me out too!
Muffalicious
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Muffalicious »

D1 is the first game that ever freaked me out. And nothing tops the first. :)
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

D1/D2 and all of the Thief games.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I always thought English was a simple language - until I met you. :roll:

I very much loved Operation Flashpoint, when you were outnumbered, out of ammo, and had to sneak out of a precarious situation ... sitting under a bush, waiting for the patrolling guards to pass by ... OPF has an AI that is unbeaten to the very day.

Farcry was disappointing in that regard, although still a pretty good game (my personal GOTY 2004. HL2 sucked somewhat, unfortunately).
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

The Cradle in Thief 3 is creepy. Creepy creepy. I couldn't bring myself to ghost it.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

define "scarey" please....not sure this word exists in my vocab. :wink: :lol:
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Absolutely agree with the Thief series. Zombies, death knights, nymphs, "The Eye". Love em.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Doom 3 freaked me out bad at first. After I got used to it, the game became pretty boring.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Phoenix Red wrote:The Cradle in Thief 3 is creepy. Creepy creepy. I couldn't bring myself to ghost it.
Oh yeah, x2. I couldn't stand creeping about with all of those zombies and ghosts, scared me to death. On top of that, it took forever to get out :P
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

I'd say the Halloween Harry Series from Apogee Software.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

Bubble Bobble. Baron von Blubba always manages to make me cringe.

I always liked Half Life with the lights out and the volume up. Never know when something's gonna happen.
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Sofa
King
We
Todd
It
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Krags wrote:Dropshaft.

It's a secret level in the Descent (1) mission "IronStar". I was beaten, humiliated, and scared off by masterful use of the weakest enemies in the game, and that was on trainee.
I was intrigued by your post so I downloaded it and tried it out. Holy crap, wow. I cant remember the last time a Descent mission on trainee freaked me out as much. The brig (where you get the yellow key) was simply masterful.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Couver_ wrote:
Sofa
King
We
Todd
It
omfgroflmao!! :D