D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

Diedel you got some serious issues on your Website. you can't even scroll. This problem only appears on IE, though. Firefox and Opera work fine
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Fixed. Crap MSIE. I never use it.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

The guide-bot mistakenly tries to find boss robots when there are none (example: Counterstrike level 1 after acquiring the red key). Also, my function keys (F1, F2, etc.) aren't working in-game. For example, I cannot bring up options by pressing F2.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

A boss teleports to Segment 0 when you encounter it or when it sees you, I.E. Level 4 in Descent 2: Counter Strike.
I think the bug occurs when there's a reactor within the level

(I'll put up some screenshots soon)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Falcon,

I don't need screenshots. I need to know whether this happens with a reactor in the level or generally.

Edit: Bug fixed.

Jeff,

F1,F2 work for me.

Guidebot bug fixed.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Neumaennl wrote:Diedel you got some serious issues on your Website. you can't even scroll. This problem only appears on IE, though. Firefox and Opera work fine
Diedel wrote:Fixed. Crap MSIE. I never use it.
Hahah, truly awesome... the "oh, IE isn't the internet?" bug in reverse. About time someone slipped up the other way. :lol:

Heaven knows there are enough sites that are either buggy or just about intentionally don't work when you're using anything else... anyway.

Re: what novacron said - yeah, it would be kind of cool to replace the powerups, weapon blobs and maybe other things like energy sparkles (difficult) with actual 3D objects one day... but I'll live with the vanilla just-draw-bitmaps-on-the-screen version for some time yet. :) It's hard to say whether the detail apparent in the actual cube engine - or most of the levels made with it, I know better could be done - warrants it at the moment.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

There are still a few content-related issues on your website. The D2X-W32 Version History page is empty (most disturbing, as the one on the DBB is not updated anymore), D1 Support page link leads to a 404 error and on the Manual page some pictures are next to the wrong headlines.
Feature request: could you make a keymap at least for the keys you added to the game? (Zoom, Screenshot, Cockpit window stuff etc.) ATM you have to search through the bug fixes and improvements list to get the keys, which is not very convenient. On the other hand I think I could make a keyboard reference sheet if you'd want me to. It could be put into the *.zip file. But till Nov. 6th I got some more important work to do. But after that it would be no problem for me to do it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D2X history: fixed
man pics: which ones? Can't see a prob.
D1 page: works for me - try the reload button.

key mappings: well ... ok. :) Ofc you're welcome to create a keymap file.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

manual page: main menu pic is next to options menu description, options menu pic is next to sound effects and music menu description, sound effects and music menu pic is next to controls menu description, controls menu pic is next to detail levels menu description, detail levels menu pic is next to custom details menu description, custom details menu pic is next to screen modes menu description, screen modes menu pic is next to toggles menu description, toggles menu pic is next to render options menu description.

In short: each picture has to go 1 place up, except render options menu pic and following
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The most important hint would have been: It happens only in MSIE ... :roll: ... but thx anyway.

Edit: Fixed.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

?!? IMO it happened in Opera also and it's really weird - how can it be that pics are placed in different locations in different browsers? I'm currently building a homepage for a company and never experienced that problem. I always check my site in IE, Opera and Firefox. Well, fact is that the pics on your page are shown in the right places when using a gecko-based browser (Netscape, Firefox, Mozilla) - weird...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

A few /table tags were missing, and obviously Firefox is a little more fault tolerant here - which I did neither expect nor appreciate. I thought it was the strictest browser around. At least this was a good opportunity to switch the whole page to some javascript driven output which makes it somewhat more flexible.

Danke auf jeden Fall mal.

There don't seem to be many ppl reading the D2X-W32 manual ... :roll:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

then include a readme. :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I think a web page is good enough. If ppl can download the program, they can access the man page.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Then let's put it to a vote.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Do you really think I'm gonna add a readme with all the extra work if ppl vote for it? I won't.

Heh. This is funny. You're not the people, and I'm not the government. :lol:

Actually I don't care if ppl read the manual. It's there in case they need it. If they don't, so much the better.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Personally, I don't know why people complain so much about IE (other than security issues, that I understand). I've never had any trouble with your site and I use IE most of the time (easier to help noobies that way).

OK people! Go ahead! Yeah, IE most of the time? Am I crazy? ... Nope.

Rules:
1. Keep your system clean
2. Keep your system updated
3. Keep your anti-virus updated (and use a good one, not some cheap-o )
4. Think about what might happen BEFORE you on click on ANYTHING.
5. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat.

Do that, and presto! Pop-ups almost non-existant, spy-ware and mal-ware not messing things up, sites work smoothly (and quickly)... TOTALLY worth the effort.
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

*Stomps on the browser wars topic before it gets otu of hand.

BACK! BACK I SAY!

There..moving on....

Shader stuff is something I'm learning about now, but in DirectX's HLSL.

Question for you Diedel, do you work in MSVC6 because that's what you prefer, or is that the latest you can get D2X-W32 to compile under? I guess I'm asking if you've tried to compile under MSVC 7 or newer.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Valin is right: Go make your own browser wars thread. :P

Valin,

I am using both MSVC6 and .NET 2003, but the latter generates faulty code that will crash inexplicably on some machines. I had the same problem with some business applications I am writing.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

something strange again: could it be that the descent 1 support page is down on random? I get a 404 error again for http://descent2.de/descent1.html (which is the URI used by the link on your D2X-W32 page)
EDIT: Got it! :) in your side menu you use http://descent2.de/d2x-descent1.html which works, so all you gotta do is change the target for your link on the page.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Fixed all invalid links on the d2x page. Thx for the hint. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This is for the 'celestial order' guys (TCO Ignorant Lobster):

I have registered as 'd2x-w.32' (the period was a typo) and 'd2x-w32' on your message board and posted a link to a rar archive with the minimal data set required for playing D2.
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

After playing a mission w/ vertigo bots, certain D1 bots will have their textures messed up.

Also, some types of explosions seem to be transparent and others not transparent regardless of whether I have the toggle on or not. :?

Finally, there's nothing in the DLE-XP version history page :P on the website, and the "Sky Box" cube type isn't explained in the cube tool section.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

descent 2 door 1st texture misaligned/see thru on opening

Post by jakee308 »

first i am new to the board and posting. if i step on toes or s.o.p.'s please excuse me.

am using d2x-w32 ver 1.4.84
:D thank you diedel :D

game starts, level starts ok. (even level i created 5 yrs ago with dmb2. :) )
plays ok. but... when a door in counterstrike level 1 opens, a slot that you can see through
appears at the top of the door.

when the door shuts it goes away and the wall texture is solid again.
it does it from both sides. it doesn't do it for secret doors afaik.

every other door in the mine that has a separate texture/clip for the door does this. it repeats
every time the door is opened.

the height of the see thru slot differs between doors but looks the same size from both sides
and is the full width of the wall.

maybe ref. var missing or misinterpreted? as if the reference point for drawing the 1st texture
when it's closed is different than when the 2nd texture/doorclip opening is drawn.

texture data files being read/drawn from offset?

maybe one var in the texture file holds the closed ref point and another var is used for the
door opened ref point.
they're supposed to be the same value or update each other but now aren't the same value.

Having read a great deal of the saga of development by deidel i realize this is trivial in
comparison and in fact is a testimony to the hard work and skill that went into testing and
coding and to the time taken to post bug reports and solutions such that a newbie such as
myself can download d2x-w32, get it running, load levels, play levels, edit levels and only
have a minor texture drawing glitch to point to as a bug.

well done and thank you!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

things would work better if Diedel's pages actually validated against an HTML standard.

Firefox currently renders his pages in quriks mode - not in the more strict standards complaint mode.

http://validator.w3.org is everyone's friend.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I know that my HTML code isn't perfect, but I fkn don't know how to create 'perfect' HTML code. Does the validator only complain about errors, or does it tell me how to fix them?

jake,

I will look into the door slot issue. But don't try to make assumption on what is going wrong here. ;)

Edit: Fixed - together with another symptom of the bug causing this.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Diedel - it does give some hints as to how to fix them but they are not always helpful. Especially when you have automatically generated HTML.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

It's all hand written HTML, but if the validator doesn't tell me exactly what to fix, and how to fix it, I'm screwed.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

diedel,
loaded new fix 1.4.85
the slot is still there. it is thinner in height than before. i experimented with video controls but slot still there. posting a screenshot is out till i find a site to host it. tell me any experiment to try with settings and i'll report back a.s.a.p.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

diedel
old lvl built w dmb was ok b4. now a lot of the gratings and a cell door are now a solid texture. the gb was in cell and now is loose. does not affect all see through walls with grating texture or disappearing texture. made sure render options as original. don't see this in game lvl 1 grates.
in both dle and dmb the textures show like they're supposed to.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

oops. Dangit.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Jakee: you can use photobucket to host pics.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have seen what he means. Lots of wall textures are replaced by another texture that looks like gray rock with cracks. About to fix it already.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

DCrazy:
thanks. :)

Diedel:
found replaced textures in ver 1.4.84 also. went back to it from 1.4.85 and still the same.
went back to ver 1.3.82 = ok

edit: glad to see you saw that also. phew! i thought i messed up the level or the texture files. eek!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This has to do with me increasing max. wall# - some bugs inserted during the coding process. :oops:
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Image »

Why is the latest version of D2X-W32 not displaying see-thru textures correctly? When I look at a wall with a see-thru texture I see that the wall's first texture is cut off at the end of the second texture....Perhaps I should post a picture:

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/7606/errorpic4vo.png
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

just what i was going to mention.
if you have ver 1.4.82 you will have slots and some other misalignments but the textures are not replaced as they are in 1.4.85

diedel

besides the slot at the top of door walls. some grates have a slot above them. also see-thru doors are misaligned. the commonality seems to be see-thru walls with more than one texture partly opaquing them.
the walls i wanted to put grates into were too large for the grate texture. so i used a wall texture then a grate texture as the second texture. this gives you a grate in the middle of a wall. when i looked at interplay levels this is what they did. if you stretch a grate texture to fit a large wall it looks real ugly. if you need testing or more data let me know.

read a post from the past about crosshair alignment with aiming point. the way it looks to me there's no convergence of the bolts until waaaay off in the distance. usually weapons are set so they will converge at the distance the pilot will usually engage a target. in real life prop fighters had their guns aimed to converge about 300-400 yds out and jets 500-1000 yds out. without convergence a close in target only gets hit by the one barrel aimed at them on one side instead of multiple projectiles converging at the aiming point. can't recall about dos d2 but it seems to me i could hit the little ptmc sentries better than now.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

No reticle positioning and aiming code has been changed at all in D2X(-W32) compared to D2.

All texture display bugs were caused by buggy code due to extending max. wall # and are fixed now.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

diedel
you probably know this; whatever you did fixed the grate appearance and the twisted see-thru doors also. thanks.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

To Diedel: try playing Entropy 2 with D2X-W32, there's seems to be a custom vertigo data bug while playing the campaign in d2x-w32.