D2X-W32 and firewalls/routers/NATs etc. - info needed

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-W32 and firewalls/routers/NATs etc. - info needed

Post by Diedel »

Please could everybody who knows something about this subject (i.e. how to make D2X-W32 UDP/IP work with firewalls/routers/NATs etc.) post his solution here?

Can be general or specific to a certain software/device.

I plan to put that stuff on my D2X-W32 page so that everybody who needs help with that stuff has a place to look for it.

Thx in advance :)

Diedel
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

*cough* My suspicion is, if you have a Netgear router or one with similar issues, you have two options:
1) Buy a new one
2) Get Kali, locate a proxy, and play D2X-W32 over IPX; you'll probably add a whole lot of lag but it's the only way I know of to do it properly
Otherwise, if you play UDP/IP, you're only going to be able to do 1 on 1s.

It would be cool if I'm wrong though, but there doesn't seem to be an easy fix to this apart from something like TCP/IP, which is really not an easy fix as D2X-W32 doesn't actually use it (as far as I know).
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

What Netgear issues?

Post by Weyrman »

Hey Sirius, what are the issues you are referring to?

Actually, even a 1 on 1 udp/ip game would be nice!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

In my experience, when you're in a game with a router with this issue, all players save the host do not respond and eventually appear to disconnect from the game.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Can I have some info pls on what to do when you're behind a router to get D2X-W32 UDP/IP to work - IP forwarding, opening ports, whatever? :)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

BUBBALOU wrote:Does not get easier than this for KALI. Unless you are looking out your glass bellybutton and have a netgear router (not gamer friendly since 1998 - netgear)
Some help, but its not a cure by no means. I still have probs even after port forwarding and so on. :(
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I should note that the problems exhibited by Descent 2 W32 in UDP/IP are pretty much identical to those exhibited by Descent 3 peer to peer games with such routers - except the latter have a server of sorts, and as such you don't see anyone but yourself.

The weird thing is, though, in D3 other people see you. I have, previously, flown around in some kind of shaker level scoring points when no-one else could hit me. I promptly disconnected, though, because the general concept is incredibly cheap and looks distinctly like cheating.

Anyway. For those whose routers actually WORK with multi-user UDP/IP systems, I believe the solution would be a simple matter of forwarding UDP port 28342 (the default for D2X) to your machine through your router. I can't confirm this though, since I don't have such a router that doesn't *cough* suck.

However, I should note - you MAY not need to do this at all, considering you already have established a connection (well, from what I'm told it's not really a connection, but I can't think of a better word at the moment) on UDP port 28342 when you join the game. It might just automatically send traffic from other users to the same computer or something.

Not sure how things would work if you had two users behind the same network trying to connect to the same game. (Two games, on different sockets, should be no problem though.)
Vampyre_Six
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Vampyre_Six »

Dunno if this helps but there are prolly some people out there who overlooked this important step

Most average home networks are automatically assigning ips to each computer, of course you cant really forward a port anywhere if you forget to give urself a static ip, unless you awlays turn the computers on in the same order or want to play only one time before doing it again......

Also one thing ive seen ppl do thats fairly assenine is assining a static ip to their computer within the range of ones that are usually auto assigned

Example: you got 4 computers , do not make your static ip end with a 4, good god......

of course maybe you shouldnt be fiddling with the router settings to change ports if you cant do this part in the first place cause it wont do u any good if you can't unless your router is driven by an artificial intelligence or something, unlike mine :cry: