3-D Software?

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

3-D Software?

Post by WarAdvocat »

What are the various pros and cons of the available software packages? I'm currently using one of the commercial suites as a learning tool but the more I learn the more I wonder what I should be doing?

Some of the software I'm looking at includes:

Lightwave
3DS Max
Maya
Zbrush

It's kind of mind-boggling. For example, at first glance, Zbrush looks like a postproduction tool for stuff created in other modelling software, but it can do modelling as well, and looks like it has a very interesting interface for this.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: 3-D Software?

Post by Thenior »

WarAdvocat wrote:What are the various pros and cons of the available software packages? I'm currently using one of the commercial suites as a learning tool but the more I learn the more I wonder what I should be doing?

Some of the software I'm looking at includes:

Lightwave
3DS Max
Maya
Zbrush

It's kind of mind-boggling. For example, at first glance, Zbrush looks like a postproduction tool for stuff created in other modelling software, but it can do modelling as well, and looks like it has a very interesting interface for this.
There are going to be a number of people here who would argue, and probably a few who would agree.

For games, I would have chosen 3DSmax. From my undertanding it has very good low poly tools.

Maya is quickly catching up though. They now have a DirectX plugin, and a normal mapping tool (to transfer the normal map from a high poly to a low poly model)

Alot of people use Zbrush for touch ups, like warts, veins, etc.

In the movie realm, Maya is just more powerful.
It's Fluids and Ocean Shaders are superior ( http://downloads.alias.com/mkt/gmk_400_ ... swells.mpg http://downloads.alias.com/mkt/gmk_400_ ... ocoman.mov )

It's PaintFX are capable of amazing trees and plants, whereas 3DSmax has poor predefined plant abilites.

So I would go for maya. It also has a more simple interface (when I first started, I opened Maya PLE and could make a quick animation very fast, and do basic modelling without reading documentation. In 3DS I was very confused...
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Long live MS Paint!
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

If you want to do just modeling, a great & affordable solution would be Silo + Zbrush 2.

Together they would total less than 500 dollars.

If you are set on 3dsmax or Maya, both packages are good. I personally find 3dsmax to be a little easier to pick up. Maya's learning curve is a little trickier, and the modeling tools not as extensive (although Maya 7 looks promising).

But, I think ultimately Maya can offer more. It's just a bit harder to get up to speed with it.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

3d s max 8 is going to change the world of 3d. Maya will have to catch up.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

The only really awsome tool in 3DSmax that is coming out is the UV tool.

You never read about 3DSMax being used for animation in big movies either.

Gollum was modelled in XSI, then animated in Maya.
Same with the Witch king, and several other LOTR models.

The podrace in Episode 3 used Maya 2 to animate the entire thing.

Matrix used Maya 2.

and 80% of the time you see the DVD bonus on a DVD movie that has CG, you see them using Maya.

But having said that, Maya may not be best for you. I have talked to at least three 3DS artists that wished they had started with Maya. But they also say that 3DS is better for games.

I would prefer to use the strength of all of them.

Try them all out, and see what you like.

p.s. btw my avatar is a Maya render ^^
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Ok while not changing the subject here, is it fairly easy to learn in one and transfer the skill, if not the particular knowledge to another program?

Say I learned lightwave or 3DS max and decided to check out Maya ?
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I learned Strata 3D Pro on a Macintosh and used it for years. When I moved to the PC I got it for the PC but found it to be incredibly clunky and almost unusable. So ... I started looking around. I 'borrowed' a copy of 3DS Max and found it's learning curve to be absolutely huge. I got a 30 day demo copy of Maya and found its learning curve to be somewhat easier. In the end I couldn't afford to buy Max or Maya so I am not using anything at all now. The general knowledge I had of Strata helped me understand what to look for in Maya and Max but thats about all it helped.

Good luck and if you find a good but cheap solution please let me know what you find.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

You can apply basic concepts. Like basic rendering techniques, etc.

What I would do is grab a tutorial for both, and try both.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

Well, I'm no 3D Artist or something, but I saw people doing amazing things with Blender, which is completely free. It has a non-standard Interface and no templates or wizards though and you should look at a tutorial if you want to get at least something done with the Interface. But it feels quite comfortable once you know how it works.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Buny any resolution/decision on this? I am interested in learning a good 3D package myself.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

get a free membership at www.buzz3d.com

They have like 20 free maya videos getting you past the basics.

And they also have houdini and XSI.

And yes blender is cool, but it is not quite there in many ways. The hair, the cloth, the fluids, and the particles aren't quite as good.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Image »

I use MilkShape 3D:

pros:
Good user-friendly interface
Power
Easy to animate
Easy to learn without much help (atleast if you're comp savvy :P)

cons:
Low-poly limit
Poor texture mapping
CAN'T EASILY SELECT A BLOODY THING WHEN MODEL IS COMPLEX!!! :P

and Blender:

pros:
high-poly limit
subsurf
very, VERY powerful
excellent texture mapping
only one viewscreen making the chore of selecting any vertex you want done with ease

cons:
hard to understand without Wikipedia :P
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

get 3dsmax...

I know that sounds contradictory, but Autodesk (3dsmax' owner) just bought Alias (the owner of Maya).

Or get the both of both worlds :)