Questions about BB usage, tricks and etiquette.

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Questions about BB usage, tricks and etiquette.

Post by jakee308 »

As i am new to Web BB's some of what i see in posts puzzles me. how to enclose a quote from a previous post in a box and include it in your post? i presume some bb code is required? i have looked on phpBB's site and searched the web but this probably is so basic that everyone (but me) knows how to do this so no one asks or talks about it. i figure i can select previous post's text and insert it into mine but where's the surrounding box come from?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

It automatically fills in the phpbb code when you click the "quote" button above their posts.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

Tetrad wrote:It automatically fills in the phpbb code when you click the "quote" button above their posts.
well i just did this. ha! i tried this before and it didn't work?! thanks tetrad.

next question. Avatars. suggestions? i have searched for programs or free ones. but they want to stick adware on my desktop.

any thing that you learned a long time ago about how to use the board? i probably don't know about that.

searching? i try to search but get a jillion hits that don't seem relevant. i don't know how to weed stuff out or phrase the search.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Dear God, someone asking how to search the forums! I see great promise in this one. :P

As long as you give a decently thorough search (if you're looking for information on why your reticle keeps becoming a white box, for example, searching for "reticle white box" in all forums would be a good place to start, at least until you figure out how these forums are broken down) then most people won't mind if you post a question that has been asked before. The worst that will happen is that you'll be referred to an old thread. Remember, this is contingent on you actually searching. :P

I made my avatar in 30 minutes in MSPaint. Tet's old avatar was a spherical version of the cover of Garbage's Version 2.0 album. Just pick a 64x64 GIF and run with it. If it's too big, the BB software will tell you. No obscenities or flashy annoying graphics either.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You also might want to read the board FAQ. ;) That'll answer most of your questions as far as how to use functions on the board.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

replace the <> signs with [] signs:

<quote>WORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDS</quote>

and

<quote="some guy's name">MOREWORDSTOQUOTEILIKETOQUOTEWORDS</quote>

like that.

also, Avatars are just little pictures. To work with pictures you'd probabaly like a good image manipulation program. Most people (seriously... everyone) illegally download Adobe Photoshop. But personally i use GIMP - it's free.
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

thanks roid.
have been looking for a image editor. one that knows how to do these things and grab pictures.

? what is the difference between a reply and a view?
i see this in the stats and don't know which is which.
how do you post a reply and not a view and vice versa?

also: about necroposting.
this is not defined in the faq :?
read a thread about it and got the gist that it's posting a reply to topic older than maybe 14-30 days? why?
why not archive that stuff and if someone wants to post, who cares?
unless it's a server storage space issue.

i use the email notification.
is there a time limit on when the email notify works?

btw i started this topic as i couldn't find all the answers in the faq and i didn't expect to as the bb ops should mostly be using spare time to code or play or build levels and not make 100 page manual.

so if you all don't mind the stupid questions, i'll keep asking them. :)

remember my starting post. i meant it when i said i haven't been on a bb since they were called direct over the phone. yes i mean you dialed the number for the server and then logged on via modem.
no www no http.
i had to search for a list of abbreviations so i could tell what was being said.
i am a newbie to the nth degree.
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

Here is information about bb code (click)

And for the record, I didn't download photoshop, I bought the disk from a guy who said it fell off the back of a truck. (j/k . . . academic purchase)

Edit: jakee, "views" means how many times the thread has been viewed. "posts" is, well, how many posts have been added to the thread. You can't post a view.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

thanks Hahnenkam
i found that on my web search for bb code and have a link to it :)

i noticed you saw the part of my post about views.
i was writing it at the time and previewing it.
(thanks for the explanation btw.)
does previewing post what has been written so far?
it was spooky to be writing about a subject and after i was done someone was already answering. :o

are there special codes for bbcode only or is it just an adaptation of html with different markers?
i also noticed it is tricky to format a post to make it easier to read.
any white space seems to be treated as only 1 space no matter how long it actually is??
:idea: argh! i'll have to dust off that html book i bought a while back. :)
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

jakee308 wrote:i noticed you saw the part of my post about views.
i was writing it at the time and previewing it.
(thanks for the explanation btw.)
does previewing post what has been written so far?
it was spooky to be writing about a subject and after i was done someone was already answering. :o
I don't think "preview" will post what you have written. I used my l33t haXx0r skillz to break into your computer and install a key logger. :P

Since I only know enough about computers to be a tech-support nightmare, a more likely scenario is: you clicked the wrong button :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Jakee308 feel free to try out "The DBB Testing Zone" forum. You can do whatever you want in there.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

jakee308,

The bb code is just like html but it's a special code the phpBB scripts will parse and then print to screen the codes. The program writers did this to allow special formating on boards whose administrators will not allow html.

People with malicious intent can do harm in many ways when html is allowed within a website.

If you want I'll be happy to assist you with a logo, I am by no means a graphical artist but I will assist. Also if you introduce yourself to the artist in the PTMC Gallery You just might find someone willing to help you that is an artist :)

I would also appreciate it if you could assit me. The terms you are having a difficult time with I would like to capture as I can us them to update our FAQ's and also a new feature I will be implementing soon it's called Acronyms (a mouse over feature that will provide instant definitions).

And from what I can tell of your bb etiquette you will a AWESOME addition to the DBB!

Please take this opportunity as a "new bb user" to assit me in making the DBB a more new user friendly site!

KB
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

sorry to be so stooopid. am total noob about boards.

thanks roid
how does that work? you go there and try out bb coded posts and see what happens? ok.

:? if you edit a post does that cause new post notices sent and noted on the thread list?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Jakee308,

The DBB Testing Zone is a forum we created to allow people to test out different things without fear of catching flak for an oversite, You are correct just ctreat or start a new thread and test different aspects of the DBB.

No I don't think editing a post forces notices to be sent out, Notices are only sent IF someone selects that option when either starting a thread or posting a reply to an existing thread.

KB
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

MD-2389 wrote:You also might want to read the board FAQ. ;) That'll answer most of your questions as far as how to use functions on the board.
1) Plug in the cord
2) Make sure the switch is on
... if that doesn't work ...
3) Read the manual :D
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

Iceman

the manual of course being a 358k .pdf file located on the hard disk of the computer that's not working. :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Jake,

You'll have to ignore us ol'timers it's really easy for us to forget what it's like to be new at anything.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Beware, some people use images in place of posts, like this: :twisted:

Some people call these forum macros, I just call them forumpix, the only rules to them are; avoid posting something that breaks the general forum rules on offensive content, and use your own web space. You can use someone else's web space with permission though.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Another rule about macros is that if you tend to post more than one at a time, or overuse them in general (i.e. all you ever post is forum macros) then people tend to look down upon you as inferior, witless, and otherwise devoid of significant mental ability. :P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Krom wrote: Image

i still want my Welcome Mega!! bish! :lol:
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

well i'm getting an education about the board right here, hmmm?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

lol, Jim, be very careful of who you get your lessons from ;)

You see there's needless banter in your thread, people that reply to a thread that offer absolutley nothing are usually only after increasing thier post count ;)
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

just tried to post a screenshot in test area. it was successful. but the picture has white border from somewhere??? put up avatar pic. thanks to photobucket.com (free picture host) which was mentioned to me in a reply. will try to find their post to give them props.

edit: props to DCrazy who told me about photobucket.com :D :D

and that reminds me. how do i find the url for a post so i can put a link in a post of mine. i also would like to use a description for them rather than just the url. i think i know how to create that but where do i get the url info?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

There are several ways find the link you want highlight it in the address bar of your browser right click and select copy or hit crtl-c then go to your reply screen and ctrl-v to paste

example ...
Click Here

reads like this ...

remember to change ( ) to [ ]
(url="phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8291")Click Here(/url)
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

yes. i just tried to capture a link. i have to hover over the little white page at the beginning of the "posted ..." line. :) the url i thought was for the topic is for the page??

what i meant was the url for a reply.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Highlight the url within the red circle!
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

KoolBear,

Hmmm, when i tried doing that i got the first post in that topic. i have seen where ppl link to a particular reply. ( at least i think i've seen that?)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

ahh you want to bookmark a specific part of a post?

I'll have to research that.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

thanks KoolBear. I'm starting to think i'm wrong. the links were to topics not replies. i remember one and will go test it now.

Edit: I regret to say i was mistaken. the links i thought went to the topic, do not. Sorry KoolBear :oops:

it would be convenient if it can be done.
i have doubts cause i didn't see a reference to jumping to a reply in the online php user manual. of course i just looked in the contents page so who knows.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Do you mean like this.

phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=137154#137154

Click this image Image and copy the address it changes to from the address bar .
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

thank you DarkShadow,

when i tried this b4, i must of been attacked by the typo bug cause i thought i did this b4 but it didn't work. Hah! Excellent. thanks for the help.

KoolBear's Reply to Me

p.s. can someone explain why sometimes posts will word wrap while writing them but when posted they don't word wrap? do i have a setting wrong or do i need to format the post?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Thanks DS :)
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

btw, i discovered that in my browser (msie) if you right click (for context menu) that little white page icon that DarkShadow pointed out, then click "save shortcut" you won't have to click on the link and then copy from the address bar. if your browser uses context menus check it out. :)
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

KoolBear wrote:Thanks DS :)
Your welcome KB. :)
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

By the way, if you were to replace nasty old MSIE with cool nifty Mozilla Firefox... :)

You could get the BBCode extension. Mega nice, it does all the work for you. Highlight some text, rightclick and on the pop-up menu you see "BBCode" as an option. You can use it to set font colors:

To create a link, just copy the url to your clipboard, then type some identifying text and highlight it. Right click, BBCode, Clipboard, MakeSelection URL:
Click here to go to the Core Decision Portal

And, of course, it makes quoting a breeze.
You can find the BBCode extension for Mozilla Firefox <HERE>

And you can download Firefox <HERE>

Kilarin
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Gah! Sensory overload!
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

thanks for the suggestion Kilarin.
i will definitely think about it. however it is a chore to change one's software. you get used to something and even if it's bad, you know how to use it without thinking and it's easier to stay with what you know. i have also found really cool software for something and i install it and it does something i don't like or interferes with my settings. when programs mess with my setup they're toast. :evil: i don't care how good they may be. as a result i am slow to change. i will look into it tho cause i've seen the mozilla brand talked about before and always in a positive way. they have windoze port? i thought that was unix/linux?
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

jakee308 wrote:when programs mess with my setup they're toast.
I have to agree. The only setting that Mozilla changed on my system was the default browser. (and that was optional)
they have windoze port? i thought that was unix/linux
Mozilla will run just about anywhere, including windoze. I use it under XP and 2000. The BEST thing about Firefox is, in my opinion, the tabbed browsing. I LOVE being able to open a dozen links without cluttering up my start bar.

AND, certainly don't feel OBLIGATED to try Firefox on my say so. My wife feels the same way about changing software. SHE is still using Netscape 6 point something or other and won't upgrade because she doesn't want to be bothered learning the new system. And Netscape 6 is Mozilla based, so it wouldn't be that big of a change. :)

Kilarin
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Another vote for firefox here, far superior to IE6 in almost every way.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

jakee308 wrote:also: about necroposting.
this is not defined in the faq :?
read a thread about it and got the gist that it's posting a reply to topic older than maybe 14-30 days? why?
why not archive that stuff and if someone wants to post, who cares?
unless it's a server storage space issue.
This was discussed here, if you want to know more about it.

Please don't necro that discussion ;)