Civilization 4

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Phantasmagirl
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Civilization 4

Post by Phantasmagirl »

Oh yeah. It's coming. My copy arrives in a couple days. This game is going to be amazing. I was addicted to all of the previous ones.. anyone else going to play this?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Whenever it shows up in stores I'll pick up a copy. from reviews I've read, the phalanx beating the ★■◆● out of a tank is still there, but its seems easier

Im hoping that the multiplayer is better than the shitfest it was in civ3.
Phantasmagirl
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Phantasmagirl »

well, apparently they created this one with multiplayer heavily in mind so I guess it should be a lot better. :)
Grax
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

civ4

Post by Grax »

I'm lookin forward to this PC videogame history lesson box.
Also, Sirian helped make Civ 4.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

As soon as its out im going to get it. Had a great time playing Civ 3.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I don't think I'll like it as all the Civ. games were turned based.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Yeah, this is definitely a good game. You should enjoy it, provided your system is up to running it.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

If this game will run on my lappy, I will buy it.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

How fast is your lappy?

My Athlon XP 2700+ with 512 MB RAM and a GeForce FX 5200, which is by no means a top-end system, ran the game fairly well with 5 or fewer (computer) players. It was only the big 8-12 player games that really caused me problems, and those got better in later versions.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

XP2800+ with a gig of memory. The weak point in the chain is the generic onboard BS Radeon video. I might try a "trial version" to see how it goes before I purchase.
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

They let me have control over the game's maps (and produce most of them). If you appreciated my levels for Descent (1, 2 or 3) you may like what you find on that score in Civ4.

The multiplayer is for real this time. In fact, if anybody here wants to get their clock thoroughly cleaned by the equivalent of Civ4's "IDL", you can sign up for your beatdown here:

http://civ4players.proboards44.com/index.cgi

They pack fusion and will blow any moths out of the sky, so try to avoid the purple, OK? ;)

Those guys are for real, but they are a good bunch, and in fact the ladder's head administrator was also a Descent 3 player once upon a time.

The MP is faster now. Whole games can be played out in an evening. There is very little waiting around, as turns are played out in simultanous mode and there is a turn timer (five settings -- something for everybody! -- or you can turn it off).

Lothar helped test. I invited some other Descent elders (Birdseye, Chipmunk to name two) but they were all too busy, which was cool.

If you are at all interested, you can get more info at the two main Civ4 sites:

http://civilization4.net/

http://www.civfanatics.com/

You can see what I am personally up to these days:

http://realmsbeyond.net/civ/index.html

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=133492

Maybe I'll see some of you guys around. :)

- Sirian
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Sirian, do you know if the game needs a vidcard that has hardware t&l?
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

Hardware T&L is required. Shader support HIGHLY recommend, as well.

Avoid: GeForce2 or 4 MX varieties. No Shader.

I think ATI 7500 is in same or similar boat.

GeForce3's are good as are non-MX 4's. Anything above that is smooth sailing.

ATI I'm not as sure about. Some ATI cards had an odd issue with one of Civ4's biggest files (the Art PAK) and there was a broughaha for a day or so. This issue is forcing an early patch (the fix is already known and available, but requires following instructions and that's a problem for some -- so a patch to do it for them.)

All the latest ATI cards are good -- though you may need that (still upcoming) patch if you fall in to the 5-10% of cases.

- Sirian
Phantasmagirl
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Phantasmagirl »

Yeah, I have an ATI card and I had the issue. It was fixed with those instructions. The game is totally awesome. I can't wait to try out some multi, but I need to get my bearings first as this is definitely a bit different from previous civs. :) Sirian, that is sick as hell that you worked on the game.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I picked up a copy today. :) Installing on the lappy as we speak. Will post results when available.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

lappy no worky. :(

But damn, I got sucked in for four hours yesterday. Went through the tutorial. Helped a lot but I'm still very confused about a lot of things. Looking for a strat guide now.

Incidentally. The audio cuts in and out on some of the movies that play when you build wonders n stuff. Anyone have this happen too? I wonder if theres a fix for it...
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

There is an official strat guide, and it was written by someone who actually knows the game (someone I worked with in development). If you're looking for help, that is a good way to get it without having to pore over the Civ4 boards, trying to figure out who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.

Some others are experiencing some choppiness in the movies. (They mostly play smooth for me, though. Mostly.)

Four hours, eh? :) :)

I did an interview with one of the two major Civ sites, and the first part went up last night. You can check it out here if you are curious:

http://apolyton.net/forums/announcement ... orumid=176

Yes I do talk about Descent! (Later in the interview, though.)

You can also get some help on the boards by asking questions, if you have a specific question. (The links are available in my earlier posts in this thread.)

I talked to Gwar for a while about Civ4 the other night. We met on IRC. If you recognize that nick, you are certified Old Skool(TM). :)

- Sirian