Folder Syncronization Software

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Folder Syncronization Software

Post by Vander »

I'm trying to find a program that will keep an accurate copy of a folder. If I remove a file in the source folder, I'd like the program to remove the file in the destination folder at sync time. Preferrably, this program would run from command-line so that I can use Task Scheduler to run it nightly.

The program has to be freeware. Anyone know of such a program?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I tried Comparator, and I know someone who could make good use of it, but I'm going to need something that doesn't require user interaction, and can be scheduled using Task Scheduler. It doesn't look Comparator can do that.

Thanks, though.
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

If you have a Linux box use CVS.

CVS is a version control system, an important component of Source Configuration ... CVS is a production quality system in wide use around the world

www.nongnu.org/cvs/
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

This is on SBS2003.

I think I found the program I want. SyncBack. They have a freeware version that does just what I want.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Subversion is a hell of a lot easier to set up than CVS if you decide to go the SCM route. But I'm glad there's a Windows program to do it. I wonder if it has FTP support...
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

SyncBack does exactly what I want, and is pretty slick. If you have different sync needs for different directories, you can set up seperate profiles for the different directories. You can then group the profiles into a single task. It has integration with Task Scheduler. So I created a bunch of profiles to suit my needs, grouped them together into a single task, and scheduled the task to run nightly at 4am.

It ran flawlessly last night, and took care of the issue I had with Backups taking longer and longer. SyncBack only takes a few minutes to run, as it only transfers changes. NTBackup would transfer all the data, which is currently around 40gb and constantly growing.

The website says it has FTP support, but I haven't looked into it since I don't need the functionality.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Merlin - does that app work on Network Drives?

It'd be perfect for my media server.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Just tried Syncback and I'm very impressed. I now have biweekly backups of all my important files, fully automated, and it doesnt take very long to set up or perform the backups either :D

Good find Vander, thanks.
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

Yes, good find. I've been looking for something like this for a while now, and the programs I've tried have pretty much sucked.

Microsoft SyncToy: locks up with 100% cpu.

SyncFolder, Allwaysync:
These two had some problems which I can't completely remember, but it amounted to either being uber slow or acting funny, ie it didn't look like they were getting the right files. There was also the issue of the language barrier for one program; I think the author was japanese and it was hard to figure out what the different modes were.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I'm glad SyncBack is useful for you guys, too.