System Building Advice!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

System Building Advice!

Post by JMEaT »

Hey folks, I'm upgrading a PC to a Barton 2500+ (512K cache) and I need a good nforce 2 mobo suggestion for less than 70 bucks.

Will I have any problems running one stick of Crucial 512MB PC2700? We will probably go a 2nd stick of 512 down the road for the dual channel support.

Thanks!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Find something out of the MSI K7N2 family. My mobo is a K7N2 Delta ILSR with alllll the bells and whistles....I know theres a discount model for under 70 somewhere within that line
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

NF7-S is one of the greatest NF2 mobos out there. Try not to save too much money on the mobo tho, everything in the system depends on it so you want quality there. If you dont need Serial ATA then you can save a few bucks and get a vanilla NF7.

-Krom
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Yeah Krom - I agree. Spend more on the Mobo. It's in your box for 2+ years (?) which means amortization of less than 70 cents per weeks! I think you can afford more than 10 cents a day for a motherboard.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Easy. Shuttle A7N35N Ultra. I've got a machine built around one, and I have no problems whatsoever. You don't have to pay out the ass to get a nice board.

[edit]Damn this BB code. I want my HTML back...
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

This isn't my money I'm spending, hence the cost limit.

I was looking at this board, but it is getting some bad reviews and I don't think that will be getting purchased.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=1

I don't need serial ATA or on board video etc. Just the basics. The board you posted, Krom, looks good though.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

yeah, i'd go with the one krom posted. its a few dollars more than you said you wanted to spend, but its probably worth it to fork out a few extra.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Krom wrote: Try not to save too much money on the mobo tho, everything in the system depends on it so you want quality there.

-Krom
i agree aswell. you always want a good mobo to support your system
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I have the NF7Sv2 and it's performed flawlessly for me. The onboard sound is excellent and meant to use less system resources than even the best of Audigy cards.

On the flipside, one thing that kinda sucks is the fact that theres a limited amount of audio pins on the mobo, so I have no place to plug in the leads to the headphone/mic jacks on the front of my case. If anyone knows how to do it without soldering stuff, please let me know.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Knife+Electrical Tape :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »