I hope they really don't implement this in the PS3...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

andrewsself
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

I hope they really don't implement this in the PS3...

Post by andrewsself »

or I won't be purchasing one.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=70417

Originally posted by ikachii at IGN

"SCE has secured the patent for a new disc technology that, if used, would not allow the PS3 to read used games for that platform. The technology was invented by Kutaragi himself, as well as two others

Details regarding the patent are featured here: http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/homepg.ipdl

It is indicated specifically that the technology is to prevent the use of used as well as pirated software

The technology involves actually rendering a authentication code originally encrypted on the game disk unreadable to other machines once the disk it is used

This would mean that Net-based and other such games will not be the only ones to be affected by the technology

Naturally third software developers would embrace this technology, and it would ensure sales of the inevitable "Best series" for the PS3, but used games shops would be put out of business if the PS3 were to become the primary platform in the next generation

While information regarding the patent does not specify outright that the technology will be used in the PS3, Kutaragi has gone on record saying that copy management is absolutely necessary in order to endure that no "Napsters" of the game industry create problems in the future "
So basically this means no buying used games, no renting PS3 games, and no sharing PS3 games with your friends.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Interesting idea.

Since they are removing all resale value from their software - i'd expect the initial price of the software to be accordingly SIGNIFICANTLY reduced.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

Or exceedingly more costly. Without the option of buying it at reduced prices from resellers, what's to stop the initial prices to be skewed too high?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Sting_Ray wrote:Or exceedingly more costly. Without the option of buying it at reduced prices from resellers, what's to stop the initial prices to be skewed too high?
The console market's reliance on MASS UPTAKE of it's product. No resale value will mean people be prepared to pay less for it - or go without.
There are ravenous competitors, i've got my eye on the Nintendo Revolution and it's kickass VRness.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Software compaines are generally against the resale of software. Nintendo was also adamant against rental of their games in the early 90's till they managed to get money from blockbuster.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Ugh, I won't be buying a PS3 then.

Half of the reason I buy a console is to take my games over to my friend's house and play or to have him come over and play their games at my house ecs. I'm not taking a what, $400 console to my friends house. :

Imagine what kind of damage this would do if it was applied to PC games? It would mean that a user would have to buy a new copy of each game after every install or re-install of an OS. And even more fun, if they applied this to the OS?

I would move to linux and forget PC games all together. You would have to be a millionare in order to play games.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I think the Xbox 360 is set to pummel the PS3.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

roid wrote:
Sting_Ray wrote:Or exceedingly more costly. Without the option of buying it at reduced prices from resellers, what's to stop the initial prices to be skewed too high?
The console market's reliance on MASS UPTAKE of it's product. No resale value will mean people be prepared to pay less for it - or go without.
There are ravenous competitors, i've got my eye on the Nintendo Revolution and it's kickass VRness.
The publishers get none of the resale value, but provide 100% of the support.

If they can prevent resale, they'll do that and damn everything else.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Mobius wrote:I think the Xbox 360 is set to pummel the PS3.
In the meantime, Nintendo can continue making a killer profit and genuinely fun games. Sounds good to me. :)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

No rentals from Blockbuster?

Gay... . .
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

JMEaT wrote:No rentals from Blockbuster?

Gay... . .
No money at all for video games from rentals other than the first sale unlike the movie industry?

I guess you see where I'm going with this.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

the sky is falling , the sky is falling!!!! WAH!!

buy your games!!

companies like blockbuster should not be able to rent games until they are over 6 months old to cut down on new release piracy that their rentals enable!! not to mention the used game market... utterly evil churn!!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

BUBBALOU wrote:companies like blockbuster should not be able to rent games until they are over 6 months old
not a bad idea. kinda like how they release the demo for games AFTER the game is released - to cash in on the "gotta be the first!" disposable income crowd.
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

I think this is some garbage.

If your PS3 breaks, then what? I doubt Sony expects you to buy all those games again.

And is SCE even a company? I know SCEA and SCEI are. I googled 'SCE,' didn't even come across anything.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

What they need to do, is work some sort of deal out with the gameing industry so that they publishers do make money.

I'm not concerned about the fact that I can't just burn my games but that I can't take my console game over to my friends house to play it.

Another problem, if it hits the PC market. What would this mean? Well, Windows would probably take them up on it along with every other software company. Guess where that leads? Well, you can only install your software once. This essentially means that everytime you update your computer you have to buy your OS, all of your antivirus software, all of your other software such as 3D modeling applications and you have to buy all of your games over again. So you can no longer upgrade and if you have a problem or a bug... or catch a virus.... well, that will become extremely expensive to fix. Now, not only do you have to spend hours upon hours re-installing your entire system and then some but you also have to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars in order to do just that.

Digital Rights Management is going way out of line with some of their new techniques.

For instance, that fun little Starforce virus that comes with some of the newer games that disables or ruins your burners because someone "might" use it for unlawfull reasons. Some of us actually use our CD burners in order to backup our systems, or maybe to save some of the works that are our own creations. Perfectly legal use of a CD or DVD burner. I also hear that it has created a lot of loopholes in your OS and slows down your boot time.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

If companies would stop making complete and utter garbage there wouldn't be a need for me to go to Blockbuster to begin with...
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

If it's garbage then why even rent? :P
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

At least Steam has the decency to let you install and run Half-Life 2 on any machine. This is just ridiculous.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

ill bleave that when i rent a game and it doesnt work

they sed the same thang about the xbox and did that happen no
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

In my opinion, that's a very stupid move from Sony. :roll:

The only thing they will get, is to increase the piracy, instead of stoping it. There will be Mod-Chips to break through the encryption code, and then more Moded pirated PS3 you will see on the market, because now not only the people that really used pirated games would be afected, but also the people that buy they games legally and want to share with his/her friends the games, and not to say the people whose PS3 get broken and cannot use their games that they used on his/her first PS3 on a new one.

Well, after all, the real afected will be Sony and they will get exactly the inverse thing: they will be more Pirated, even IF the people doesn't want to consume piracy. :x This makes me mad..

Long life to Sony! :P Bleehh...
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Stick with the PC people. ;)
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Sadly, sticking with the PC isn't very cost effective...
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Nor is it fun-effective. :) If this isn't a hoax, I probably won't be buying a PS3...not that I probably would anyway, because the last time around, the XBOX platform had more action games.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Kyour brought up steam, and for as much as people like to hate it, they didn't screw those who don't pirate. Standard procedure for any online game is to set up an account system, and allow only one account per cd key. The system isn't completely foolproof, but it effectively prevents mass-piracy. I don't think single player games should force you to have an internet connection to play them, but any online-multiplayer game can implement that style of system and take a serious bite out of piracy. As for off line games, why not go to a non-standard media while still having implementation for standard media? Why not have the game cd's be slightly larger, and them only read the data if the disk capacity is larger than a standard dvd? That way, if you throw in a cd or dvd, it automatically will only read it as a media disk, and even if it contains game data, it will never attempt to read it as such. It would be relatively easily modded, but it would deter the casual pirate, and it wouldn't effect where the games could be played.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

What did you expect?
This is Sony, probably the most influencial anti-piracy company out there. Too bad they go a little too extreme. And I thought the PS3 looked good, with those 4 Cells and the GeForce 7900 Ultra.
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

typical mass panic. don't worry. there is nothing that has been built that cannot be unbuilt or worked around. if this had gone into play, it would have been a matter of time (and not much of it), that mod chips or a bios flash would have been developed for all the naughty children to get their software for free.