EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas (132k Pic)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas (132k Pic)

Post by Iceman »

OMG This guys is huge. I have seen 6 footers here in Alabama but sheesh ... this thing must be 8 or 9 feet long.

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

That's nothing. I've had friends who kept 10ft Boas and 10Ft king Snakes as pets
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

Yea but thatâ??s a rattler... FANG!
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Are rattler snakes suppose to get that big? O_O
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

CDN_Merlin wrote:That's nothing. I've had friends who kept 10ft Boas and 10Ft king Snakes as pets
10 Ft girly @$$ boa aint nothing ... this is a RATTLA!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Rattler Smattler :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

omg huge :P
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

if this thread had been a picture of a wang i would have been highly upset.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:Are rattler snakes suppose to get that big? O_O
I suppose they will grow as large as their environment will support them.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So I suppose the guy thinks he's macho for killing the beast. Should of caught it and released it somewhere safe.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I suppose that picture was taken w/ a short lens :P
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

woodchip wrote:So I suppose the guy thinks he's macho for killing the beast. Should of caught it and released it somewhere safe.
I'm with you on this Woodchip. Absolutely no reason to kill such a wonderful reptile. There are absolutely no snakes in New Zealand, and that's a shame, because snakes are A1+ Mega cool scaley beasties.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Holy cow!
0_0
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

woodchip wrote:So I suppose the guy thinks he's macho for killing the beast. Should of caught it and released it somewhere safe.
I don't know man, I see where you're coming from but he looks about the age to have kids in the house. I can understand his not wanting to leave that guy slithering around in the back yard.

Snakes are awesome.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I agree the snake is dangerous, but wouldn't it have been more educational to show respect for the rattler and by capturing (which I would have done) or calling in the wildlife people, the kids would have learned something more than, "Eek, snake...kill it."
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

That snake could kick the ★■◆● out of Thor.
Muffalicious
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Muffalicious »

Money! wrote:That snake could kick the **** out of Thor.
LOL :lol:
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Muffalicious wrote:
Money! wrote:That snake could kick the **** out of Thor.
LOL :lol:
OMG! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Woodi & Mobi why would you make such a judgement without knowing anything about the situation in which it was killed?
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

You might feel differently if you had some of those threatening your pets and younger siblings. I've almost been bitten, my siblings have almost been bitten, my cat's almost been bitten twice. It's only by sheer luck and a good shovel that there were no casualties.

Keep in mind-this is not a macho thing. Snakes are awesome (I own one) and rattlers eat rats and other pests. But if it's my favorite pet or a snake, I'll choose the pet.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

it might have been self defense... or family defense, may have also just been found on the property like that. we don't know. what we do know is that he is holding up a REALLY BIG rattlah, how could he NOT feel macho. c'mon... be reasonable!! :D
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Remind me not to retire to this part of Texas.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

/me goes out to kill some defenseless-against-bullets wild animal to prove my superiority mwahahahahahaha!!!

Not, I think I'll just go to bed instead.

And dissent, retire to Florida so you can keep on buying the same crap over again every few years after a hurricane blows it all away, it's better for the economy.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Krom wrote:And dissent, retire to Florida so you can keep on buying the same crap over again every few years after a hurricane blows it all away, it's better for the economy.
or ... retire to california and build your house on a big hill so it will mud slide away... then build another one IN THE SAME SPOT the next... repeat this every year or three...

and krom... FEMA takes lots of tax money to replace those peoples things.... do you really think that is advantageous to the economy? just a thought...
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Krom wrote:and krom... FEMA takes lots of tax money to replace those peoples things.... do you really think that is advantageous to the economy?
Yep.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

I love how the Descent community is turning into a bunch of Peta pansies. I'm not all for just killing things without reason, but you have to protect your home and your family. I'm seeing hay, which indicates that this is a farm. There could have been farm animals in danger, workers in danger, etc... I'm quite sure it wasn't killed for sport.

If I found a snake on my property or in my house, I personally wouldn't kill it, but I don't hold judgement on anybody who did. Especially a poisonous one.

And Mobious, be glad you don't have snakes around there. If you did have an abundance, I guarantee that another animal species over there would DRASTICALLY dwindle if snakes did become common over there. In which case, it would be an ecological disaster.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Who the ★■◆● cares about any of this ★■◆●.

One side is all like "weiiin he might have killed that snake without good reason" the other side is like "weiiin you guys are crybabies self defense!"

I am becoming increasingly bitter as of late.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I just think it's a cool snake.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

word lothar
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Admiral Thrawn wrote:I love how the Descent community is turning into a bunch of Peta pansies.
IMHO I think it would have been more macho to have a pic holding a live rattler in your bare hands instead of a limp carcass of a dead one on some sort of garden tool. PETA has nothing to do with this case.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Admiral Thrawn wrote:If I found a snake on my property or in my house, I personally wouldn't kill it, but I don't hold judgement on anybody who did. Especially a poisonous one.
Poisonous snakes bite animals and people, causing pain and death. Non-poisonous snakes eat rats and other pests, which is always a good thing. If you have rattlers on your property, for example, go find some king snakes and release them by your house. The rattler problem disappears and you have fewer rats and alot of harmless snakes.
Woodchip wrote:IMHO I think it would have been more macho to have a pic holding a live rattler in your bare hands instead of a limp carcass of a dead one on some sort of garden tool. PETA has nothing to do with this case.
Oh. Well if you put it that way then yeah, the guy's a pushover.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Repeat ...
Iceman wrote:why would you make such a judgement without knowing anything about the situation in which it was killed?
You guys have no evidence whatsoever to base an opinion of the killing of this snake. For all you know, it could have died of old age.
Lothar wrote:I just think it's a cool snake.
Heck yeah, that's why I posted the pic in the first place. This is one really cool snake.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

That is one heck of a big rattler!!

Ice, I believe that is a wound right behind his head.It looks as if he has been killed.

I have to say that since we have children here that are too young to be afraid of a rattlesnake that the critter would have met a same fate here.

This lil town doesnt have the "snake wrangler" on call and animal control would have dispatched such a critter as well.
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Lothar wrote:I just think it's a cool snake.
Yep because its dead :P
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Ok I estimate the guy's height at 5'6". Given that, I took the photo into Powerpoint and drew line segments on the snake to measure it. Then, comparing the length of the line segments to the man's height, I came up with a snake length of 9.9".

That's a 10 foot long RATTLA!

According to THIS LINK the record length for a western diamondback is 87.5" => 7.3 Feet

I believe this snake is a western and if so, this guy is the new record.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You guys have a lot of time. :mrgreen:
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Heh! I make time ... would go crazy if I didn't.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Admiral Thrawn wrote:And Mobious, be glad you don't have snakes around there. If you did have an abundance, I guarantee that another animal species over there would DRASTICALLY dwindle if snakes did become common over there. In which case, it would be an ecological disaster.
nah, introduced cats and foxes do so much more damage than snakes (as seen in australia). snakes being introduced into the NZ animal population would have comparitively no effect.
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Do a search on brown snakes in Guam and what they have done to the native critters.

If possible yes live and let live. When we used to go to the hunting house in west texas and have to clear out 4-10 rattlesnakes before we could live there then it was time to take them out. As was pointed out eariler in the thread they still have fangs and can jack you or a pet up.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

roid wrote:

nah, introduced cats and foxes do so much more damage than snakes (as seen in australia). snakes being introduced into the NZ animal population would have comparitively no effect.
Hehe, you should spend less time talking and more time researching. Snakes can be VERY nasty when introduced into an area where they have no natural predators. Some places have had entire bird species practically wiped out because of introduced snakes. ANY new animal or insect not indigenous to an area can cause MASSIVE damage.