Descent 2 Level Editing Questions

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Descent 2 Level Editing Questions

Post by jakee308 »

when using the automap, in the corner is the name of the level. this seems to use the filename from the mission file. i changed both the name of the mission and the level and the map still showed the file name which i didn't change. i can tell as the file name has no spaces but the mission name does + i added a more descriptive name. ??? anyone know how levels are named in the auto map?

btw i started this topic cause i couldn't find a topic that was a how to on level editing. since it's been awhile since i level edited and i've forgotten a lot of stuff even if i knew it in the first place :) i would like any assistance anyone feels like giving. i have dmb2 and it's help file but it always was short on documentation and never covered thoroughly every topic like a commercial package would. if there are other topics buried somewhere and you know where then just post me a link. thanks.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The level name is stored in the level file (.rdl/.rl2), so if you change the level name in DLE-XP's mission dialog, you need to save the mine to make it permanent.

The mission name is stored in the mission file (.msn/.mn2), so if you change the mission name, you need to click the 'accept' button in the mission dialog to make it permanent.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

thank you Diedel.

i wondered if i should save the mine but thought that all the info came from the mission. Great!

btw. what is max number of coop players, max number of multi players allowed in level.

diff between dle or dmb?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

They're the same. It's the game, not the editor, that sets the maximum number of players. Four for co-operative (player #0 and co-op players #0-2), eight for basically everything else (players #0-7).
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

thanks Sirius, i think i should have said "how many player objects can be in the level."
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You can have 8 (multi-) player objects and 3 coop player objects. Player #0 will serve as multi- and coop player. Sirius said this already though.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It is worth adding as a footnote that the missions in the main Descent 2 campaign are prefaced with the system name in the Automap (for example, Zeta Aquilae 3: Wenl Mine). This prefix is special to the campaign - you'll note when you complete the level it is known simply as "Wenl Mine" and the Zeta Aquilae 3 part is dropped.

There doesn't truly exist a way to append a custom title to a mission in that way.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

This topic seems to suit Descent Development better than oldskool.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hard-coded mission-specific stuff drives me crazy, but it's not the only time they've done it in D2...
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

well I assumed that since the forum Descent Development seemed to be for d3edit and d3 bug reports and the posts seemed to be all about d3 that a d2 editing topic wouldn't fit. i did neglect to label it descent 2 level editing questions (i corrected that oversight) however by putting it in the only forum labeled for d1 d2 players, that contains more topics about d2, that has the dle-xp bug report and suggestions topic in it, that has the d2x-w32 topic in it (need i go on) i figured people would know it was about editing levels for d2. not d3. so it seemed to me then as now that descent 2 level editing questions belongs in a d2 forum not a d3 forum. Are the descriptions of the forums of no use? if so then some relabeling might be in order.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I would tend to agree that having the main DLE-XP thread in Old Skool contradicts the purpose of the Descent Development forum, but I can see why Diedel would do this (since it's the sister program to D2XW32 which clearly belongs in Old Skool).
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

Welll, i just learned that the topic was actually duplicated. the same topic registers in both forums. any new posts also show up in both.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

jakee, it's actually not duplicated. When a thread is moved, a link to it remains in the original forum (notice the arrow next to the thread name in the original forum). New posts to the thread don't bump it to the top of the original forum, however. It's convenient to have the link there so people know the thread was moved.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

To go back to the original question, since Diedel's DLE-XP is somewhat new, there hasn't been much documentation written about it. Fortunately, it still is ultimately based on DMB2, so Phang's old DMB2 Resource Guide is still applicable:

http://www.brainware.net/descent/newguide

That's the best I can see.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

Kyouryuu: that's the same as the manual and help file that came with dmb? it seems to be and yes that's somewhat helpful as a reminder. i'm looking for how to's from anyone about using the new capabilities of d2x-xl. i'll also put anything i find out here.

ferno says these type of posts should go here. so i'm trying to revive this thread.

the level editing questions i am referring to are concerning things such as how to set up the different areas for multiplay. not having done any online playing, i had no need to try and create levels that would apply.

also how to use the new editor dle. the dle bug report and suggestions thread is busy enough as it is so those questions should come here. i'm having trouble understanding how certain special areas are setup. i will experiment and report back but anyone who feels like posting how to's or ?'s here, please do so.

edit: i'm not referring to how to designate certain cubes for ctf or such. i mean; what is the best positioning for these special areas within the level
what's good what's bad. stuff that i don't know about as i've never played online.