Disabling the #$%ing firewall in my DSL modem.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Disabling the #$%ing firewall in my DSL modem.

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I just switched to Verizon's DSL service. After configuring my router and software firewall, I found that I still could not host games because Verizon's Westell 6100 DSL modem has a built in firewall. The modem has a setup utility available at IP 192.168.1.1, but it seems that Verizon has changed the modem's default username and password to something of their choosing. I've been told that reseting the modem will put the login information back to default, but then I would have to set the modem back up to connect to Verizon.

Does anyone know what settings I would need to put in my modem to connect to Verizon?

If it helps, this connection data is available from the Westell without loging in. No idea if it's what I need to know though. :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

my modem kinda has a hard reset and a soft reset.

the soft reset is where you hold reset for 5 seconds. it resets back to my isp's settings.

my hard reset is where you hold reset for 20 seconds or something, and it resets back to FACTORY defaults.

try looking into that.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Switch the modem to bridged mode and that will disable all firewall/dhcp services on the modem and let your Router do the work

Start here DSLReports Verizon DSL FAQ
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

You're right, setting it to bridgeed mode will solve my problem. Unfortunatly, Verizon set a custom username/password and I can't login to the modem to do that without setting the modem back to factory default settings. After I set it back to factory default, I do not know what settings I need to set in the modem to connect to Verizon. There are Verizon-specific DHCP/ PPPoe/whatever settings that I probably need to know, right?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

call them and ask them what it is they usally say it is the primary email account and password.

Mode : PPPoE username/password MTU 1492
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Tech support won't give you the user name and password for access to the modem?
Even so.. if you reset the modem. Does Verizon not have tech support for config the modem back up? Seem strange. My ADSL service has tech support for all of this.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Well, I have reset the modem and am preparing to run through the bridging/forwarding guides you folks linked to. All without dealing with the horror that is tech support. ;) Thanks, guys.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

Mr. Perfect, am going thru a similar situation as i have to setup access for a port to play. the router i have says it's reset just resets the password and user name but doesn't reset the settings.

did your reset, reset everything and you had to setup it up all over? just wondering. good luck.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I didn't have to reset the router itself, just the modem. I had already forwarded my ports in the router, but since the modem itself was blocking them, I had the issue here of trying to get into the modem and turning off the modem's firewall. Not sure if that helps, so feal free to ask for clarification. :)