How to use D2X-XL to play Multiplayer Games

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

How to use D2X-XL to play Multiplayer Games

Post by jakee308 »

nope, i don't have the answer. I'm hoping someone will see this and respond with some answers.

1st let me say this. i HAVE NEVER played a multiplayer game of any type over the internet. I have no clue what is involved in setting up as the server or client or how to find a game or how to set up my computer/router to be able to play. nothing.

as i am running xp, d2x-xl is the game i'd like to learn how to set up. i have kali. no clue how to set it up (and yes i read the manual, still no clue) no idea how to check if my setup is ok or not.
as i understand it d2x-xl has a udp connection option? i'd like to ask diedel directly but i'd rather not bother him.
i don't have to be spoon fed the info just some clues as to the basics. if i still can't start/join a game, i'll be back with more ?'s if anyone is willing to answer.

Edit: as added incentive; if someone can help me get setup with either kali or d2x-xl(name change) i will host regular games. scheduled gmt times. i have the time and a 24hr connection. i want to play also but if host can sit out a game then someone else can play some games. pm me or post here.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6396
BUBBALOU wrote:Setting up D2_3dfx or D2x-W32 and Kali with Multiple computers click here
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

BUBBALOU; yes saw that under sticky about kali setup.

this gives me some guidelines.
what i'd like to know is how to troubleshoot a failure to connect. or at least to know the failure to connect was on the part of my setup.
have kali but didn't work for me. i was using the default setup so that means i gotta do custom configure and that means a lot of choices to make with no clue what i'm doing.
:)

i have rtcw and tried to get in a game of that but couldn't. said the version was different? i've got the windows firewall set to let kali through but i don't know nor can i tell if the isp's router is letting the games through. well i've got some reading to do. :) thanks for the response.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Never, ever, played a multiplayer game over the internet? There are only about 5 people left in that group that know how to use a computer. ;)
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

yep still a virgin. with the equip i had i knew i had no chance. now i got equip but skills have gone bye-bye. so will get killed anyway. wtf. 8) it's only a game. :)

have figured out that my isp's router is configured with nat. so i've got to make some changes. i know what i have to do to get things to work. thing is i'm concerned about security. i'm gonna be opening up a port to my computer and isn't that hazardous?

the router can be set at different levels of firewall. it's off now and win sec is the only firewall operating. i've looked in the router manual but it's not clear what level of firewall i should set. i don't like to experiment too much with stuff i don't know in case i do something irreversible.

yes i've looked at the tech forum and got some info there. and i've been looking at whatever i can about it but it's not spelled out what i'll be cutting off for each level of security. they list the ports and protocols that will be restricted and i have no clue what some of that stuff is.

any suggestions? anybody?

btw as stated in other posts any help will be used to set up a regular schedule of online matches. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Opening ports to your computer can theoretically be hazardous, but only in certain situations. If Descent 2 is the only program that will be using the port is basically won't be.

For D2X-XL games you need to have the default UDP/IP port (28800 or something near that I think) D2 uses open, and it has to be open in UDP mode.

Chances are, if you haven't done this before, you'll need to refer to a manual or online help to figure out how to do this - unless you're lucky enough to have someone here with the same router and some technical expertise.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

thanks sirius;
as i understand it
1. i make comp for game w static address
2. set up the port forwarding to that address

got the manual for the router and it's clear enough
about port forwarding.
the firewall stuff is what's unclear. i don't like the windows security software firewall. would like to implement the router firewall but can't tell clearly what to set it at.
i'll get everything running and then experiment.
i hate to setup stuff with trial and error but that's what i gotta do. :)