Frequency over range

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

KtheC'
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Frequency over range

Post by KtheC' »

Recently I upgraded to a Asus A7V600 mobo
and a AMD XP2500 chip.
My ram is a 512mb PC2700. Windows XP
I have been going into a game I have been playing
and before I can do anything the system
shuts down and I get this "Frequency over range"
message on my monitor just before it starts to
reboot.
Any ideas?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Its your monitors on screen display telling you that the vertical refresh rate is higher then the monitor can display.

You can make it do that on purpose by going into display settings / advanced / monitor tab and force the refresh rate higher then whats supported by the monitor, the screen will go black and flash that message (then probably turn off), hit escape to undo the changes.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

It means the refresh rate for the resolution you are displaying is a higher frequency then the monitor supports.

Like if I tried running my desktop 1152x864@144hz I'd get the Frequency Overrange error on my monitor and then I'd have to reboot in safemode to restore a proper setting of 1152x864@75hz.

If this is happening to you in game then it is probably because you have something telling your computer to force a certain refresh rate when running at the resolution you have your game at that your monitor doesn't support.

Nvidia has this ability in the "Refresh Rate Overrides" section of the Nvidia Control Panel. Download Refresh force and find out what the proper Resolution/Refresh rate settings are for your Monitor/GFX Card.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Damnit Krom, lol
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

yup, i third those comments,

your Video Card, Windows, and possibly the game you play are all trying to use refresh frequencies that your monitor cannot support.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

And the way to fix it is:

Whatever resolution you have set for Windows at your 3D res setting - change to be the maximum your CRT supports.

You may have to click the "Reset Adapter Defaults" button in the Advanced Tab of Settings Properties before beginning the process. The process can take up to half an hour.

Follow my guide at: http://planetdescent.com/d3help/framerate.shtml
KtheC'
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KtheC' »

Wow! Thanks so much for the out pouring of answers here. I thought it was my ram for some reason.
Yeah. Mobi, I read pretty much your whole site when I started playing D3. Good stuff.
Thanks everyone for the help. :)