D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

(Doing a new post because it's been a couple days and this is a whole different item)

Ver 1.5.30 seems to work alright, except for two items.
1. The map view comes out wrong. It looks all "squeezed", low-res, and all on the left-hand side of the screen... this is for most resolutions except 640x400 (yeah, 400).
2. In many of the video modes, a number of items in the cockpit view are in the wrong place.

ver 1.5.27 works just fine... except in 640x400 mode.
bugmenot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Converter Bug

Post by bugmenot »

Found a bug - Energy to shield converter doesn't work. I press the T key and nothing happens.

Level is good old D2 L1, if that matters.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Techpro,

Windows version right? I have removed that buggy math function from the Windows version as well. Maybe the bug was related.

bugmenot,

#1 Do you have a converter?
#2 Is it mapped to the 'T' key? (Check the key config)
Larry
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Larry »

:( if I make fullscreen, the menu doesn't work
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Larry - Some specs would be helpful. :wink:

Full screen doesn't do that for me.
Larry
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Larry »

:roll:

A Notebook, WinXP, res. 1024x768, AMD Athlon-XP 2600+ Mobile 2GHz, Ati Radeon 9600 mobile, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, a few scraps on the top and bottom, a cup of tea on the left and me in front of it :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

All I can say is that I got this effect when frequently re-initializing the OpenGL system during a test, and somehow the OpenGL setup or some texture size setting went bogus.

I have no clue what exactly happens there though.

Do you have the most recent drivers for your gfx card installed? The newest Catalyst drivers will work with mobile ATI graphics too.
bugmenot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by bugmenot »

OK, I rechecked my key mappings. There was a solid square mapped to the converter. It looks like the converter somehow got mapped to a non-printable character. I deleted the pilot and created a new one. One problem down, but...

When loading level 2, the program put up an error message box:

Warning! Error: segment 0 has invalid station type 46 in fuelcen.c
OK

After I pressed <enter>, the program terminated.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Diedel wrote:Techpro, Windows version right?...
Yeah. I'll try out the new version. Thanks 8)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

bugmenot, which OS? Level 2 of what - D2:CS? Loaded a save game or started new level?

I have applied a fix to the source regarding a possible cause for the invalid side bug and will provide Win32 and Linux binaries shortly, but cannot tell when the Mac binaries will be available, as I don't do the Mac stuff - kaelan has that in his hands.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

setsunaaa,

What OS?

Movies are stretched to fit the screen, so format depends on your screen settings.
Setsunaaa
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

D2X Savegame prob / movie strangely stretched

Post by Setsunaaa »

OS is WinXP Pro Sp2 with all updates, GFX is nvidia7800GTX, CPU is Athlon dualcore on nforce4 chipset.
The movies are not really stretched to the resolution I play (1600x1200, all alias etc on), the starting movie is displayed in 640x480, the menu for the pilot choice is in 640x480 too. d2x-xl switches to 1600x1200 as soon as I hit return on my pilot, correct behaviour.
How do I attach a screenshot here? it looks like it has been enlarged by about 10% using a simple pixel-resize instead of resample.

Savegame loading message: "unknown hogsize -1, trying D2.MN2", savegame loads, seems to work. Since I bound it fixed to one CPU I could load all games saved then. I will tell when it won't work.
Larry
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Larry »

Hi again, now i changed the openGL performance and the movie is running on fullscreen. But then:

Warning
Could not set 1280x960x32 OpenGL Video

:cry:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Setsun,

screen shots with Alt+F9 (might not work though for reasons I failed to figure so far - distorted images), so you might need to use an external screen capture program like Fraps.

Larry,

well, your driver doesn't support that resolution then, or SDL fails to find out that it does.

Edit: An update - I have found a bug that might have caused screen mode/size related problems.
bugmenot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by bugmenot »

OK, I am a dumbass. I was running D2 off a shortcut from the desktop that was pointing to version 1.5.20. When the name of the executable was changed from D2x-w32 to D2x-xl, I never updated my shortcut. The problem is fixed in the latest version.

Incidentally, just for the sake of completeness, it was D2 CS L2. OS was Windows XP Home with all service packs & patches. The problem occurred when loading L2 after completing L1, or when starting a new game from L2.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

That's the kind of 'bugs' I like most. ;) Glad it works now.

You're not dumber than me, btw. Had happened to me already too. :lol:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Diedel, I was unable to get D2X-XL ver 1.5.35 to work with any of my Windows systems as discussed by email. Video resolution had never been set to anything above 800x600 and I double checked that by running it "Windowed".

If I downgrade to 1.5.26 then the cockpit and map both look correct... unless I run 640x400 and the cockpit and map are both messed up in that. The rest seems good (both 640x480 and 800x600 the cockpit and map are great).

Wonder if my video card and drivers are at fault? I am running one version under the current version (Intel crappy integrated) on the XP because the most current version has problems in Descent 3 (and other places). My Windows 2000 is also a similar (but not same) Intel video and D2X-XL on it behaves very much like the XP... and it's running the newest Win2000 video drivers I can get for it.

One last thing...

Definate Bug. If using "Letterbox" view when you save your game, next time you load the game it comes up in cockpit view.
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Hi, I have just downloaded 1.5.35 Win. On starting, the screen goes to black as if starting and then flicks back to the desktop within a second or 2. All other versions load as normal.

The last three versions have had the automap condensed to the left half of the screen and runs at a different resolution to the game (1024x768). On returning from the automap, some textures are not showing, leaving transparent walls or showing incorrect, wrong scale textures. No change in system here at all.

I have pictures but don't know how to post them.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

bugmenot wrote:When the name of the executable was changed from D2x-w32 to D2x-xl, I never updated my shortcut.
LOL - I did the same thing. I was about to report a bug, but before I said anything. I took a look at everything first. Found the prob! :P

So you're really not alone! :lol:

EDIT:
Weyrman wrote:I have pictures but don't know how to post them.
http://imageshack.us/ <----- Free
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Bug fixed, 1.5.36 (Win32) available.
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

1.5.36 Game now loads but level and automap problems remain unchanged as notated above
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Automap will currently use the resolution set in d2x.ini (if one was set there). Check whether this is the case for you pls.
Larry
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Larry »

hell, the new version works excellent but then i got this:

oh, and i just find that out: if you press "new player" on the player-select screen, you can't close the window if you don't want to create a new ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Please post your OS and relevant hardware with every bug report here. I cannot remember them all the time, and I cannot dig through this thread to find them. Thank you.
Setsunaaa
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Setsunaaa »

V 1.5.37 WinXP Sp2, GForce 7
Nice idea to use imageshak for pics..
Thanks for the hints in the new d2x.ini, including the resolution hints. BTW: 2048x1536 is a valid reaolution here working nicely on my CRT ;). Can you include a ";Play subtitles from the intro movie ^M;-subtitles"?

Hint now in the ini file:
"use following resolution (will be overridden by player file)" is wrong, the ini overrides the player instead of player overrides ini, resetting back to 640x480 every time I exit/enter d2x.
I commented -640x480 out and it works as expected, remembering the resolution when the player is loaded.
MAYBE you should leave it that way! If someone accidently selects a too high resolution this is a way to fix it, so fix the hint, not the code? I vote for hint-fix.
I see that the automap problem was fixed, it uses the current resolution (1600x1200 here). This fixed also a bug I found (but didn't report) when turning on the cameras with shift F1/F2, I could hear my monitor switching resolutions WILD around when d2x tried to render the mini-radar, works very nice now.

And now the intro movie screenshot from imageshack where you can see the pixel-resize effect from d2x-xl. Looks like it does it every 16th row/colum.
http://img328.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... tro6to.jpg
The same scene in old d2x-sdl looks correct, but d2x-xl uses a 256-color resolution so I had to use hypersnap to get the colors right.
http://img271.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... tro3la.gif
The real bug seems to be: The intro movie isn't 640 pixels wide, it doesn't need to be stretched in 640x480 res. It stretches with -1600x1200 option in d2x.ini, correct behaviour.

Another thing: d2x-xl does seem to override the 4x alias setting from the gfx card menu, turning it off, other games (like the old Quake2 in 1600x1200 too) don't.

Big big thanks for still making it possible to play the old descent versions.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have already found out about the workings of the screen size setting from the ini file.

Honestly, I don't care too much about the movies ... ;)

Do you think you will see a difference between 1600x1200 and 2048x1536?

Do you think it makes sense to use both extremely high resolution and high AA/AF settings? It doesn't. Particularly AF is meant to increase performance by being able to chose a lower resolution w/o a heavy quality loss. AA the same. ;)

I will look into the subtitles issue.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

... ver 1.5.38 ...

640x480 cockpit and map = Excellant!
800x600 cockpit and map = Excellant!

Diedel, you da man! 8) x4
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This was a stupid bug. I changed the ordering of screen resolutions and missed to adjust the test for lores/hires screens somewhere, so the automap started to switch resolutions. I also forgot to add the new resolutions kaelan introduced into the program wide screen res table, so screen sizes weren't sync'd with screen modes any more. D'uh. :oops:
Larry
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Larry »

Diedel wrote:Please post your OS and relevant hardware with every bug report here. I cannot remember them all the time, and I cannot dig through this thread to find them. Thank you.
see in signature :wink:

edit: oh, there is no link :? never mind: http://spezialist.pytalhost.de/larrypc.html
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Larry,

gfx driver version? Do you know that the latest Catalyst drivers work will all mobile Radeons, and that you don't need to wait for your hardware vendor to supply new ones?
arieligena
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

2 bugs

Post by arieligena »

Hi, two bugs:

Level 16, version 1.5.39, D2X-XL windows

- When REloading a savegame, an error window displays

unknown hogzize -1, trying d2.mn2

then savegame is loaded.

- I have the 1.5.18 problem again: "Game offering the wrong save to load (the one before the current one)"
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

1.5.40 Win on xp

Texture Error = Fixed
Compressed automap and incorrct res = Fixed

Primary weapon cannot be set to any other than weapon 1. Started with laser that upgraded and had it auto select super laser when I got one but would not go to gauss cannon when I got it. Buttons can be set in options menu but default 1-0 buttons will not work. Primary weapon refuses to change (I have "next primary weapon" set to hat left on joystick), even to a weapon set higher in the auto select, both with and without smart select option set.

Other than that, it was great to be able to play a game again!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

All fixed in 1.5.41 (Win32 & Linux)
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

I have downloaded what should be 1.5.41 twice today, once before work and once after and I get 1.5.40. Could you please look into this.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Weyrman wrote:I have downloaded what should be 1.5.41 .... today, ................................ I get 1.5.40. Could you please look into this.
Same :roll:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

fixed. if problem persists, try to clear your browser cache.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Specs: Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz, OS X 10.4.2, ATI RADEON 9200

Problem: When I try to start an MP game, I get a problem due to HOARD.HAM (it can't be opened).
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Cannot reproduce this with Windows, sorry.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

More Mac version bugs:

1. Weapon selection keys do not work (at least not as number keys)

2. Laser cannot be deselected. As soon as it is deselected(by cycling primaries(i.e. ',')), it automatically reselects itself. I have autoselect off.

3. The bug about the mouse movement stopping after a little while. obviously caused by the cursor hitting the edge of the screen. I'm sure that locking the cursor(or something like that) would solve it quickly.

4. miscellaneous geometry bugs, most notably a bad polygon model error when opening a level for the second time during one game session.

5. fullscreen doesn't stay on from session to session.
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Win 1.5.44 plays Wonderfully!! just one small thing, all the savegames on the load game screen show 1-1-1970 10:00 AM for the date stamp.

All I need is to be able to play multiplayer and all will be great!

Edit: Got MULTIPLAYER to WORK!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D