Questions from a nOOb

A place to deal with D3 servers, server issues, server listings, etc. Home Page

Moderators: Do_Checkor, Starken

Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Questions from a nOOb

Post by Deadmeat »

I'm upgrading my DSL to 3mb down, 768kb up and am thinking about running a server. I've looked in this forum and Do_Checkor's and notice a lot of talk about routers. I don't have a router. I connect to SBC through a 2Wire 1800HG Gateway. Will this work or am I going to need a router? And, if so, what's a good one to get?

TIA

DM
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Lack of a router makes it easier to put up a server, on the other hand it also makes it easier for network worms and viruses to attack your computer. Stay on top of your windows updates. ;)

A method of telling if you have a router or not is to go to http://www.dslreports.com/whois and look at your public IP address, then inside a command prompt window (start ---> run ---> "cmd" without the quotes and press enter) type "ipconfig /all" and if the IP address (or one of the IPs if it lists multiple) is the same as the public IP on DSL reports then you do not have a router and can freely run a server.
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Thanx much, Krom.

I did what you said and came up with two different IP's, so I figured I was in trouble. I didn't know what this gateway thing did. I thought it might be a switch, much like I used before. Coming from SBC there was no info on it, so I did some digging on 2Wire's website and found out it acts like a router and has a built-in firewall. Figured I was in deep doo-doo because I had no software for it. Then, while looking at some screenshots, I accidently stumbled on access to the program which will let me configure it. Their games list even has a profile for Descent3. :D

Guess I'm good to go. Just have to jump in and get my feet wet. I'll probably be back with more questions.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

yea nice post krom!