My new AMD Athlon 64 4000+ has arrived! Um... Help?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

My new AMD Athlon 64 4000+ has arrived! Um... Help?

Post by WarAdvocat »

Uhh...

What's the best way to uninstall the old processor? I'd kinda like to not ruin it, so what's the best way to avoid pulling an AceWombat ;)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If the new one fits on the old board, just remove the fan, remove the heatsink, release any tension bars on CPU and lift it out straight. Then do the reverse for new CPU.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

gotta love this host when I click submit it tries to d/l the DBB but insteads does double posts
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

right, it's socket 939 to socket 939...but I've had processors stick to the heatsink before and that scares lil ol me.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Well, atleast you can be damn sure he read what you posted.

So the CPU is stuck to the heatsink? Or you simply haven't tried taking the HS off incase it was?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Run the computer for a little while with the CPU fan turned off, just till the heatsink is warm to the touch, then turn it off and pull the brackets, it should pop off quite easily while it is still warm.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

heh. Well I'll have me fingers crosseded, yes I will.

Thanks guys. Surgery commences tomorrow, 10:00 AM or so EDT. I'll scream for help if I need it ;)
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

WarAdvocat wrote:right, it's socket 939 to socket 939...but I've had processors stick to the heatsink before and that scares lil ol me.
Reminds me of when I was trying to get my Xeon board up and running... I had the heatsink mounted on the processor and tried to remove it to check something, but the AS5 I used had bonded the heatsink and proc together so tightly that it ripped the Xeon right out of the socket! :o
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah Vindicator, that actually happens all the time and is pretty hard to avoid. Even Matrix and I have it happen because arctic silver really sticks like glue to chips with a heat spreader like the P4s and Athlon 64s. So War, don't be surprised if the CPU comes out with the heatsink when you try to remove it.
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

Ya like krom said, I always run my rigs for a few min before pulling the heatsink off.

You can get some amazing suction from AS5 and those cheap stock thermal pad are like tar when they are at room temp.

If that still doesn't work for you, or for some reason the rig won't run. Just pull the heatsink off as strait as you can and once the chip has been pulled free from the socket don't smash the chip against the socket as you are messing with the heatsink clips :P

And if the chip is still stuck on the heatsink once its out, don't try to pop it off a screw driver or anything. You will either crack the corner of the chip off, or rip the integrated heatsink off the chip.
Use a blow dryer or heat gun to warm the chip up and it will slide right off.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Okey dokey! Surgery is scheduled for an hour or so from now.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re: My new AMD Athlon 64 4000+ has arrived! Um... Help?

Post by AceCombat »

WarAdvocat wrote:Uhh...

What's the best way to uninstall the old processor? I'd kinda like to not ruin it, so what's the best way to avoid pulling an AceWombat ;)

very funny........ ive never had an issue with removing a CPU. i do the exact same thing. let it run a few minutes without the fan. then pull it off.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

WarAdvocat wrote:Okey dokey! Surgery is scheduled for an hour or so from now.
Update? :|
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

It must have gone well... :?:
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Currently running @ 47 c in idle. Is that a tad hot for a socket 939 Athlon 64 4000+? When I took the old HS off, I noticed a 'rim' of compound around the edges of the cpu so I tried to be a bit more conservative with the Arctic Silver this time around.

HL2 stresstest-
1280x1024x32
All detail on high
2x AA 4x Aniso
106 FPS average

Previously: low 70s

Descent3 -timetest secret2.dem

Previously-
fps.old.txt

318.07 Descent3 v1.4
222 Min
479 Max
222 Second 1
399 Second 2
469 Second 3
479 Second 4
270 Second 5
222 Second 6
266 Second 7
332 Second 8
362 Second 9
242 Second 10

NEW:
fps.txt

419.54 Descent3 v1.4
300 Min
578 Max
421 Second 1
573 Second 2
578 Second 3
344 Second 4
345 Second 5
447 Second 6
392 Second 7
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

47c idle!?!

That?s super high for an A64 chip, what?s ur load temps like low 60s?

A64 chips can't run as high as the old XP chips, most of them have a "max temp" of 63-65c.
See this thread.

Esp for the winter time, your temps are real high.
My 3200 right now is OCed to 2800MHz with 1.46v and showing 32c idle. (40c in the summer time) And I have high temps for the average of most A64 chips.

If your thermal compound went over the edge of the chip last time you are using too much, they say for AS5 less is more. The thermal compound does not need to reach the edges of the heat spreader once it is compressed by the heat sink.
When you pull the heatsink off you should see an almost transparent layer of AS5 on the chip, covering about 75% of the heat spreader.

What chip did where you using before? What kind of cooling now?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

The 4000+ replaced an AMD athlon 64 3000+. I'm using the stock cooler, and we don't get "winter" where I live. Just hurricanes. I'm using the temperature reported by the MSI 'core center' application by the way, so I don't know how reliable that is, but it reports 62 under load.

I tried to go real lightly with the compound this time, so that should be fine. I used Arctic Silver 5 and followed their instructions, hopefully I'm in good shape there.

Is it just that the stock cooler runs kinda hot? Should I re-do the thermal grease? Or get a new HS & Fan? I was thinking about grabbing an aftermarket cooler to bling my 'puter out but decided against it. Should I go for it?
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

If you're using AS5, its effectiveness will increase after a few cycles of using the computer and turning it off at night (didnt notice much of a change myself though).
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The stock heatsink isn't wonderfull, but it's not that bad either. Also, don't buy a heatsink for it's bling factor. There are to many heatsinks out there that perform similarly as a stock heatsink and simply have fancy lights and crazy designs.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

you bought a 4000+...

lol
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Well, I didn't actually "buy" it.

Anyhow, now I'm shopping heatsinks, but I don't want to have to remove my mobo to mount one :|

edit: Update, AMD says as long as it's below 70c it's not a concern.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Why would you have to remove the mobo to swap out heat sinks?
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

woodchip wrote:Why would you have to remove the mobo to swap out heat sinks?
lack of workspace within the case?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

woodchip wrote:Why would you have to remove the mobo to swap out heat sinks?
the socket is probably on an edge thats near the power supply.

taking it out of the case makes things a bit easier.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Yeah, the K8N Neo2 Platinum & Antec Super Lanboy case is a pretty tight fit. The stock HS/F combo works out OK, but it could be a problem putting in a big Zalman or something...especially considering that a lot of custom cooling units require the use of a custom backplate.

According to AMD, 70C or higher will shut me down, so this is a concern, given the 63C readings I've taken.
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

WarAdvocat wrote:According to AMD, 70C or higher will shut me down, so this is a concern, given the 63C readings I've taken.
Yeah when those 90-100 degree days come around that thing will be toast.

I would try reseating the heat sink 1 more time. If that doesn?t work then buy an Themralright XP-90c or a Zalman.

If your temps are STILL high, then your integrated heat spreader is making bad contact to the CPU die.
If you have the balls you can remove the heat spreader and run a naked die, or sell the chip.

I have the same MB, the stock HS is real ez to take off while everything is still in the case. The heat sink isn?t that close to the PSU because the ram is positioned horizontally above the CPU socket.
I even took my XP-90 off and put it back on w/o removing the board from the case.

BTW what bios are u running? One of the versions for the neo had super high temp readings, I forget which one.

Also check out my Neo2 BIOS page, might be handy to you.
http://www.msi.sploitz.com/
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Strangely enough.. That may be the problem

I'm running the 1.80 bios...Right there on your page... "- BIOS reported incorrect CPU temperature"

Hrum.. Updating to 1.B0 now.

More in a moment!

Edit: Ok, that drops reported temps by a few degrees. For my next trick I will remove & clean the heatsink and re-install.

Matrix, how's that XP-90 workin for ya? I was actually looking long and hard at the XP-90c. You have any pics of your HS installed?
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

v1.B Rev 2 Standard Edtion by Sideeffect is the best BIOS yet. Its what I use, the stock BIOS's suck, everythings tweaked real nice and a lot of stuff unhidden in the modded ones.

Heres a really crappy picture I took while building my system, will try to find more later.

http://shared.sploitz.com/system/neo2_w ... ilding.jpg
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Nice. Thanks! I'll report more when I re-do the heatsink.

I don't think I have the stones to run a naked die. They crack too easy. I may return the chip. The inner lining of the CPU package was actually crushed, so maybe I can justify with that :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

If you plan on returning it do it fast, CPU returns are a royal pain.