Disappearing Act

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Disappearing Act

Post by Ferno »

Story

This is something I also noticed (and was part of) when I was going to school. I didn't think I was seeing things...
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Could it be that more males are smoking dope nowadays? :D
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Hell, I was shocked at how many women there were when I took both Physics classes. Atleast half the class.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Well whoptee-doo. It means more girls to pick from to ask out for a date. :P
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Yeah, and I heard the Y-chromosome was evolving into oblivion. Enjoy it while ya can, guys. We are doomed.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

well, lets discuss for a moment what would be causing this.

first of all there are more women than men, its genetic, and since there is now a more liberal push in society for women to excel and equal men, they are attending higher education more frequently.

lets also look at the trend of men, at least many of the friends that i have had over the years. it seems more and more guys are out to make money quick and spend it quick too. they are going for 2 year degrees at tech colleges to make money in the 'labor' industry, working on cars or in a lot of cases, computers. (wha- computers? no...)

many are looking to move into non-college educated positions which promise excessive amounts of money to the average joe in his 20s. (please read that as 'sales'). i spent some time as a sub-prime loan officer, and about 75% of the other lo's in my office had not even considered anything beyond high school, some were even high school drop outs. they were excelling at selling, and made a lot of money on the commisions.

i think the advance of 'young' pregnancy (can we really call it teen pregnancy, i mean it seems like 10 yr olds are having kids these days), also has something to do with it. when a guy knocks a girl up and has get a job at the local warehouse to pay child support, or in some 'rarer' cases, support the family. i have seen a lot of women work p.t. collecting their child support checks and going to college on grants because they were 'poor', the guys don't get this chance. (please understand that was a generalization, i mean i think women are typically handed more oppurtunities now days... but that is another subject entirely)

video games, oh god how that doesnt help. (lol) drugs, and alcahol. i think a general lathargy has set in for many guys, who say, screw it i just don't care.

this has been my 2 cents ... feel free to rip into it.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Higher college girls:guys ratio sounds like good news to me.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

It's an evolutionary process. The better species allways becomes dominant.

I have no problem at all with women taking over the world, men have been doing a terrible job up until now.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

men and women are not individual species.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

fyrephlie wrote:men and women are not individual species.
You need to get a live.. :P
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Could be, Grendel. There are plenty of examples in nature of vast disparities in the relative appearence of the male and female of a species, where the male is much samller and can live near, on, or in the female, serving only for procreative purposes. On first inspection they might be considered different species.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

dissent wrote:Could be, Grendel. There are plenty of examples in nature of vast disparities in the relative appearence of the male and female of a species, where the male is much samller and can live near, on, or in the female, serving only for procreative purposes. On first inspection they might be considered different species.
By the biological definition, the very fact that they do procreate successfully means that they are of the same species. :P
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Flabby Chick wrote:It's an evolutionary process. The better species allways becomes dominant.
men and women are not different species. Different genders maybe, but not different species.

I think the main reason behind this is there is less and less of a two-parent family around these days, which is replaced by a single parent (usually the mother) family. So the boys don't have a real role model to look up to and don't get the idea to excel in what they enjoy doing.

What happens next?

most boys end up working the low and minimum wage jobs just to eke out a living. They figure since they don't have any specialized education, it becomes what they think is the best they can do.

I think what's needed now is a mentoring system.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I think it is all a result of man hating feminazis with hairy armpits whose idea of procreation is to go to a sperm bank and get injected.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

that's part of the problem woody.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Take a look around in my engineering classes and you'll find the exact opposite. Among my 4 classes, there are maybe 10 women (total!) mixed in with 50-60 guys in each class.

Meanwhile, my buddy in social work is loving the 4:1 female:male ratio present there. sigh
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Grendel wrote:
You need to get a dictionary.. :P
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Good grief we're all being very literal this week are we not?

Of course males and females are not different species, i made the statement to exaggerate the differences between the two. :roll:
...but i bet y'all knew that anyway no?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

fyrephlie wrote:
Grendel wrote:
You need to get a dictionary.. :P
How's your german ? :P
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

heh.. didn't go as planned, huh Flabby. ;)
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Nobody understands me Fern....i'm at such a loss. :cry:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I think the main reason behind this is there is less and less of a two-parent family around these days, which is replaced by a single parent (usually the mother) family. So the boys don't have a real role model to look up to and don't get the idea to excel in what they enjoy doing.
I totally agree with this. Guys are just generally more interested in partying at an early age and women are more mature which tends to lead them to higher education when they are younger.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I totally agree with this. Guys are just generally more interested in partying at an early age and women are more mature which tends to lead them to higher education when they are younger.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I totally agree with this. Guys are just generally more interested in partying at an early age and women are more mature which tends to lead them to higher education when they are younger.
what..?

more mature? maybe some but not all of them. have a look around at the typical young woman these days. heh my sister is a prime example. the best she did was go to beauty college.

Some of the guys I know are done with their partying and working like a sonofagun to get ahead in life. To be good providers.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Ferno wrote:heh my sister is a prime example. the best she did was go to beauty college.
Yeah, but that's 'cause she is from Canadia.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

I'd say CDN_Merlin is right, that girls do tend to be more mentally mature than boys, but i don't think this is genetic. I think it links in with Ferno's mention of mentoring.

Girls have (relatively) fabulous mentoring systems built into our current culture. Boys do not, or if they did once i think it is at danger of being lost if it hasn't been lost already*. So boys' are developmentally stunted as a result.

(*this is why we need conservatives. no i'm not a conservative, nor a liberal)

The industrial revolution changed (i'd say "seriously damaged") the place in our society for our SONS, while daughters lives were relatively unchanged (ironicly sexism was somewhat of a protection to them from this fate). While the fathers went off to the factorys to feed into what some of us now euphemise as "The Machine", the sons went off to school, which were like factorys all of their own, which strived to process young boys into the future feeders of the The Machine.

We don't need no education
We dont need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Grendal wrote:How's your german ? :P
Mein Deutsch ist sehr rostig. Vor ich nahm ihn in der High School, die einer sehr langen Zeit war. Ich habe die Internet, also kann ich vorbei zwar erhalten.

(oh boy i bet that is just SLAUGHTERED GERMAN up there!!)

i know what Flabby Chick meant, no one 'round here knows how to have fun. :D
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Men are from Venus, Women are from Mars...
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

fyrephlie wrote:
Mein Deutsch ist sehr rostig. Vor ich nahm ihn in der High School, die einer sehr langen Zeit war. Ich habe die Internet, also kann ich vorbei zwar erhalten.

Ouch, yes :P 1st sentence is fine tho, nice try too.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Grendel wrote:
fyrephlie wrote:

Ouch, yes :P 1st sentence is fine tho, nice try too.
lol - yeah the first sentence is easy.

more slaughtered german follows:

ich leibe dich! :P ich war gerechtes versuchen, lustig zu sein. ich bedeutete nicht, sie zu beleidigen.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

fre'..do you talk a lot in real life too?
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

ahh my school is 70% female it ★■◆●ing rocks

also, out of the guys, about half are gay.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Vertigo, same here (69% female, 31% male) -- not quite as high on the gay ratio though (about 3% of the males are gay). There just seems to be something about Jesuit schools that attracts 70% females.

Our school is trying really hard to recruit guys, lowering admissions standards and whatnot, but it just doesn't seem to be working.

And I still can't get any action. We have a saying around here: "Loyola College: 70% female, 100% B!TCH."
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

rofl, yea, you'd think the girls here would be a lot more desperate / NICER under the circumstances.
mesh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mesh »

It is a good thing that we can compare the sexes on multiple levels. Do the events over the past hundred years mean that men have become stupid? Not really. The article does not talk about the percentages of male attendance and note taking skills back when the schools were segregated. I assert that, rather than there being a decline in male intelligence, there is an uprising of information about the disparity of men.
Praise the internet.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

You should try driving up 95 a little while, DC. From what I can tell, half of the girls here are willing to jump just about anyone. :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

You get your ass down here, man! We had the awesomest (read: not-so-awesome) LAN party last week. The local Red Bull reps showed up and dropped off a few free cases before sitting down and playing Halo on a projector screen.

Seriously, next time you're in Baltimore (hah!) lemme know. Never too shy to meet a fellow DBB'r.
mesh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mesh »

DCrazy wrote: the awesomest (read: not-so-awesome)
Brilliant!!