Descent into Nintendo...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

RUL-
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent into Nintendo...

Post by RUL- »

Descent into Nintendo...

The possibility of Descent's 6DOF on Nintendo's upcoming console, codenamed "Revolution."

I don't know if anyone else has been following Nintendo's next gen console, but the main draw so far is it's 'revolutionary' wireless controller. Here's a link to a video they put out showing some of the ways the controller might be used:

http://videotog.textamerica.com/?r=3290904

NOW! I think thats pretty cool. Being a fan of Nintendo since the NES through the last few Zelda games, i been following the news around this console. Sure, it's not gonna have High Def or the power of XBox360 or that other box, but this new controller might be something to get excited about, especially when it comes to the possibility of 6DOF ala Descent. What really got me thinking is one of the latest news bits about a recent demonstration. Here's an excerpt:

=========
Revolution Demos Play-tested ? Full Report
Posted on Fri 9 Dec 2005, 9:39 PM

Nintendo America has shown the first running Revolution software at an exclusive event in New York yesterday, revealing various demonstrations of the controller and a surprise Metroid Prime offering.
*snip*
Eight demos were on offer. The first was a pointing game, highlighting the pinpoint accuracy of the remote control-inspired unit used to operate the Revolution. Simply, the controller was pointed at the screen and blocks emerged. A crosshair represented the target and the blocks were destroyed by firing using the underside button on the pad.
*snip*
*snip*
Then a surprise ? Delfino Island from Super Mario Sunshine, was booted up. After some tinkering around, which involved panning in and out of the well-known isle (not least its square, immortalised in Mario Kart DS of late) a biplane was shown. The craft was controlled by tilting the controller as you might a paper airplane. This was confirmed as one of the demos that was shown behind closed doors at the Tokyo Game Show, although now it had the addition of a lovely Mario setting. When the controller was tilted side to side, the plane banked; when the end of the controller was tilted, the plane dived nose downwards. You get the idea...
*snip*
Finally the main event ? a showing of a Metroid Prime demo by the team from Retro Studios. The Nunchuck peripheral was attached to the base of the Revolution controller and a modified version of Prime 2: Echoes was booted. Samus was controlled by movements on the Nunchuck, complete with one hand-strafing, with the main controller used to aim her weapon. It works. And it works very well indeed.
=========

I had a dream ... well, I was trying to imagine Descent on this controller. I can see using the "Nunchuck peripheral" for Forward/Backward, Slide left/right (using the analog stick) and maybe the two Z buttons, also on the Nunchuck (you can see them in the video for about a second), for Slide Up/Down .. then of course the main controller for aiming/banking, firing, switching weaps.

Also, this console will have built-in wifi for multiplayer capabilities and you'll be able to plug it into a computer monitor or a TV (no HD though) .

Any thoughts?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7863
thread from 3 months ago (it wasn't showing up on search for some reason... i had to find it manually!)
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

roid wrote:phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7863
thread from 3 months ago (it wasn't showing up on search for some reason... i had to find it manually!)
Could of used Goole to search...
see KB post. phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8845
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

ok, just read the entire frontpage of that Revolution website.
This thing is still just as exciting as the first day i heard about it.

Did you notice how Nintendo is refusing to play Microsoft's and Sony's Game of "My dick has a bigger texture pipe than yours" ?
I want to have Nintendo's babys for saying that 8)

ps: RUL- nice icon ;)

Richard Cranium wrote:

Could of used Goole to search...
see KB post. phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8845
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=site% ... revolution
still didn't turn anything up :(. I think google may be limited by the same issues that are limiting "DBB search" if the problem is in the DBB database.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

roid wrote:Did you notice how Nintendo is refusing to play Microsoft's and Sony's Game of "My dick has a bigger texture pipe than yours" ?
I've heard, but your way of stating that is the most disturbing I've seen to date. Congratulations.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

how does one have nintendo's babies? /.5offtopic

that controller looks the shizzle, all the talk i had heard about the retro nintendo library emulation being availiable... also the shizzle.

w00t w00t.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Richard Cranium wrote:Could of.....
Let's try to keep it in English shall we?

"Could HAVE..."
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

[dyk]That Mobius has awesome grammar skillz?[/dyk]
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Mobius wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:Could of.....
Let's try to keep it in English shall we?

"Could HAVE..."
FU
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Richard Cranium wrote:
FU
Oh but wait, he will correct that too...

Its FY, bone head.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Mobius wrote:Let's try to keep it in English shall we?

"Could HAVE..."
Lets all say it together now people.

Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

haha @ pic
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

fyrephlie wrote:how does one have nintendo's babies? /.5offtopic
Rumble Pack controller addon
fyrephlie wrote:that controller looks the shizzle, all the talk i had heard about the retro nintendo library emulation being availiable... also the shizzle.

w00t w00t.
hell yeah, i can't wait for the first Revolution Jedi game.

*BZACK!!!!* *wuuuuuuuuuuuuuooooooooooooooorr*
*cush!* *cush!*
*wuuuuuuuuuuuuuooooooooooooooorr*
The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master.
*cush!* *cush!*
ONLY A MASTER OF EVIL DARTH
*cush!* *cush!*
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

A swordfighting/lightsaber game using the Revolution controller would seriously be one of the greatest things ever made. I've played a demo of an older game called Die By the Sword that used a full range of motion for sword combat, but that would fade away to nothing compared to what this controller could do. :D
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Top Gun wrote:A swordfighting/lightsaber game using the Revolution controller would seriously be one of the greatest things ever made. I've played a demo of an older game called Die By the Sword that used a full range of motion for sword combat, but that would fade away to nothing compared to what this controller could do. :D
YEAH Die By the Sword is great. I have it. Took a long time to learn how to play it well, but well worth it. /me considers diggin through 'ye olde' dos game cd box.
roid wrote:Rumble Pack controller addon
lol ... umm i shouldn't cause that is just sick and wrong, but i laughed just the same. (ok .. well how is the nintendo seed passed, and ... you have a womb?)

mobius wrote:i have nothing better to offer a thread than grammar lessons that everyone is already aware of.
[dyk]this is mobi's way of upping his post count ++[/dyk]
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Mobius always uses capital letters, by the way. :)

Oh and ... I know it might incense you, but I'm sure there are wittier comebacks out there than 'FU'... :/
RUL-
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RUL- »

Yea, I thought someone might have brought this topic up but i didnt get anything from searching here. I'm really excited about this new nintendo .. can hardly wait for it. Then again, the New Zelda: Twilight Princess might hold me over for a while. Heard its gona be 100+ hours gameplay . Gona have to buy another GameCube for that (knew I shouldn't have sold that other one)

Thanks for digging that link up, Roid.

Glad you like the avatar ;)

"A drug person can learn to handle such things as seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to deal with this trip." - Raoul Duke "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas"
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

fyrephlie wrote:
Top Gun wrote:A swordfighting/lightsaber game using the Revolution controller would seriously be one of the greatest things ever made. I've played a demo of an older game called Die By the Sword that used a full range of motion for sword combat, but that would fade away to nothing compared to what this controller could do. :D
YEAH Die By the Sword is great. I have it. Took a long time to learn how to play it well, but well worth it. /me considers diggin through 'ye olde' dos game cd box.
:P I have a special VR version of DBTS that i can use with the P5 VR glove (one of the guys who designed the P5 Glove used to work at Interplay). DBTS is one of my all time favourite games, have you ever tried playing 4 player multiplayer with it at a lan? Ogre matches cause pants-pissing laughter en-mass :lol:, Batter Up!

Actually, do any of you guys have the Limb-From-Limb version? I've been trying to find someone with it so i can compare their non-P5-version files with my P5-version files. Which will enable me to make a P5-version patch.
Glad you like the avatar ;)

"A drug person can learn to handle such things as seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to deal with this trip." - Raoul Duke "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas"
:)

i've always liked:
"One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered
for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

but the one most personally meaningful to me is:

"Shoot it!"
"(in reply) No, i want to study it's habits"
- Raoul Duke (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - by Hunter S. Thompson)
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I was the first one to have the idea that one could play a 6DoF game with the Revolution controller. ^_~
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...if you say so.