The DBB and going forward ....

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

How to proceed with hosting the DBB?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:50 pm

I won't donate, nor do I really care what you do just do it!
8%
I'll donate a small monthly fee to help cover cost.
12%
I can't donate but I will support your decision.
28%
If you change anything I'll shoot you!
10%
I can live with the poor service we get now ;)
12%
It doesn't matter what you do, I will still whine :P
8%
Keep it on a public server! I'll donate!
10%
A private server is ok, I say take a chance. I'll donate!
12%

Total votes: 50
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

:P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

hey KB, i have a Dually P-II server thats just idling on FAH for DBB and BF-DC Remote Manager. i have a extra 20GB SCSI-160 drive that i can donate, but i have no idea how to set that stuff up :?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ever thought of mirroring the DBB across these servers? :D
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Mirroring?

I have thought about addition of languages, there's several language packs available for phpBB, I was thinking adding at least a few of the languages available, maybe we can get some of more of our worldy counterparts here!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Yeah, but we'd still have to be able to understand what they're saying. ;) Lang packs only translate the board interface, not posts.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I got that covered with a pretty nice google translator interface, I realize it wouldn't be perfect BUT it would be easier to understand than trying to read geramn :P

Oop's off topic here :)
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

sorry i couldn't make it, my kids were being a whole lot of not sleeping trouble last night... would have liked to at least come and listen. not that im a big voice here or anything, but i think this is a good route to take. (as KB always sported the little gold paw?)

let me know how i can help, and i will put a few bucks in the pot. im not exactly wealthy, and christmas is certainly taking its toll, but i am sure i can kick soemthing your direction. :) i would recommend the 6 month route so that my few dollars will stretch further, and six months from now i can give you a few more. :P im really not concerned with a special image or title, i just like the dbb dammit!

AceCombat wrote:who voted the "change something and ill shoot you!"
[spoiler]roid[/spoiler]
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I don't have any access to any method of donating online, so unless you'd accept a snail-mail check or cash, there probably wouldn't be any way that I myself could donate. That being said, I like the idea of a voluntary donation system in principle; it's not fair for only one person to share the cost for keeping the entire community going. Some small sort of recognition for donators would be nice; everybody's e-pen1s needs a little enhancement every once in a while. :P
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

Top Gun wrote:I don't have any access to any method of donating online
no credit card, bank account, atm/debit card?

i'm surprised you can get by wo a bank account. i used to, but about 5 yrs ago ppl got fussy about cashing checks unless YOU had an acct. even if the check is on their bank. (found out the law does NOT require banks to cash ANY check even their own?!

get a minimal limit credit card. it comes in handy and if the limit is low you shouldn't run into trouble with overuse. i checked and paypal doesn't say much about it. to START an account with paypal, you need a bank acct or credit card pref. both. after that you can get money into your acct. from payments or refunds from others.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

AceCombat, thanks and sorry I had meat to acknowledge your offer in my previous reply.

Regards,

KB
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

jakee308 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:I don't have any access to any method of donating online
no credit card, bank account, atm/debit card?

i'm surprised you can get by wo a bank account. i used to, but about 5 yrs ago ppl got fussy about cashing checks unless YOU had an acct. even if the check is on their bank. (found out the law does NOT require banks to cash ANY check even their own?!

get a minimal limit credit card. it comes in handy and if the limit is low you shouldn't run into trouble with overuse. i checked and paypal doesn't say much about it. to START an account with paypal, you need a bank acct or credit card pref. both. after that you can get money into your acct. from payments or refunds from others.
I have checking and savings accounts, but I don't have any credit cards, and I don't plan on getting one any time soon. I don't like the idea of spending money that I don't have at the time. Besides, I'm still in college, so I really don't have any need for anything more complex. At any rate, I'm sure that Koolbear/whoever else is collecting donations wouldn't mind someone sending a check.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'll be sending a money order myself.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

Top Gun; i hear ya about credit cards.

any bank account can be registered with paypal for sending money.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Public/private I don't care. I will donate to keep the DBB going. There are enough of us here that a few pennyies a month each won't kill anyone. It should not be up to any one individual though.

Oh, and yay, we now have more than 4 poll options :lol:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I don't mind kicking in. I probably excrete more in beer than what it cost to help out. All I ask is you geeks set up something that doesn't lock up every third post.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I actually REALLY like the format this BB presents and would not like it to change, however if needed i would be more than happy to contribute funding where i can. :)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I am happy to donate to the cause.

The DBB is worth at least USD20 a year to me.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I'll kick in some coin as well.

Does this mean I get an extra Invuln (or two, in my case) when I get into some heavy traffic in the mines? :wink: :wink: :wink:
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

It might be a good idea to kick in enough funding for months in advance so we won't end up running out of dough for hosting.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

MD-2389 wrote:It might be a good idea to kick in enough funding for months in advance so we won't end up running out of dough for hosting.
:) from page one of this thread:
KB wrote: We can elect to cover 6 months or a year. If it's 1 year the community donations will need to total $276. In an effort to assure traceability of DBB donation funds a paypal account will be established and 2-3 DBB'rs in addition to myself will have the ability to view account transactions.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

jakee308 wrote:Top Gun; i hear ya about credit cards.

any bank account can be registered with paypal for sending money.
Interesting to know ... it might actually be possible for me to use it if I ever have to then.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

on www.talkbass.com they have whats called "the supporting member".

$20/year. Benefits? Access to the Classifieds forum, a members only forum, avatars and other things. nothing big. You might think 20 bux is a lot of money - but that site is HUGE!

I'm in for donating like a yearly fee. Give sig's back to supporting members!
:D
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

And give supporting members the options to turn off sigs! :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

fyrephlie wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:It might be a good idea to kick in enough funding for months in advance so we won't end up running out of dough for hosting.
KB wrote: We can elect to cover 6 months or a year. If it's 1 year the community donations will need to total $276. In an effort to assure traceability of DBB donation funds a paypal account will be established and 2-3 DBB'rs in addition to myself will have the ability to view account transactions.
Yes, but if you bothered to read every word in my post, you'd notice that I said in advance. Meaning have money in the pool AHEAD of time. If we elect to cover six months, then that lump sum will be paid to cover six months. Same thing if we elect to cover a year. It never hurts to have extra cash in the account, only when you don't have enough. HENSE my previous post.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Vindicator wrote:And give supporting members the options to turn off sigs!
Good! But let's go one better. A supporting member can REPLACE any other members sig or avatar with their own, custom PRIVATE sig or avatar. Only the person who uploaded it can see it.

So, say for example, there is a certain pilot who's nick is "KingKong" (I'm making this up, hopefully there isn't any such user!). And his Avatar is, of course, a picture of King Kong looking tough.

Well, KingKong annoys you, SO, you, the supporting member, upload as a private replacement avatar a picture of DONKY KONG. Now then, everyone else see's KingKong's regular avatar, but no one will know that whenever YOU see one of KingKong's messages, his regular avatar is replaced with Donky Kong's mug. :)

yeah, not going to happen. But a guy can dream, can't he? :)

Kilarin
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Kilarin wrote:
Vindicator wrote:And give supporting members the options to turn off sigs!
Good! But let's go one better. A supporting member can REPLACE any other members sig or avatar with their own, custom PRIVATE sig or avatar. Only the person who uploaded it can see it.

So, say for example, there is a certain pilot who's nick is "KingKong" (I'm making this up, hopefully there isn't any such user!). And his Avatar is, of course, a picture of King Kong looking tough.

Well, KingKong annoys you, SO, you, the supporting member, upload as a private replacement avatar a picture of DONKY KONG. Now then, everyone else see's KingKong's regular avatar, but no one will know that whenever YOU see one of KingKong's messages, his regular avatar is replaced with Donky Kong's mug. :)

yeah, not going to happen. But a guy can dream, can't he? :)

Kilarin
Or even better, install a mod where any individual user can enable or disable the viewing of other people's signatures and avatars.
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

Top Wop wrote:Or even better, install a mod where any individual user can enable or disable the viewing of other people's signatures and avatars.
i would think being able to ignore posters would be best.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

ah, a member filter.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

MD-2389 wrote:
fyrephlie wrote:
Yes, but if you bothered to read every word in my post, you'd notice that I said in advance. Meaning have money in the pool AHEAD of time. If we elect to cover six months, then that lump sum will be paid to cover six months. Same thing if we elect to cover a year. It never hurts to have extra cash in the account, only when you don't have enough. HENSE my previous post.
sounded like you meant pooling money instead of month to month ("months in advance"), which was already decided upon. apparently i misunderstood your post...
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

TheCope wrote:i would think being able to ignore posters would be best.
If you use firefox there is an extension that will allow you to "ignore" any member on any phpbb board.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

nevermind
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I can help out if need be...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

phpBB has assloads of extensions. I'm sure there's one out there that would do what you're looking for.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sirius wrote:phpBB has assloads of extensions. I'm sure there's one out there that would do what you're looking for.
Actually, what we're going to, has all that and a bucket of chips. (Yes, I meant bucket not bag.) I don't really want to say more w/o approval.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Keep the DBB the way it is. Delete the Announcements forum. Make no other changes. I'll shoot you either way if you go into my mines, but I'd probably chip in some cash.

:)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Sorry,

The announcement forum will stay. I need a method of communicating with EVERYONE. At least ALL users can see a site wide announcement now.

It is possible to turn it off after an announcement has run it's course though ;)
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Can't support the DBB financially at this time.

Busy at work with my current and past projects... which leaves very little time to visit the DBB these days. DOH! Missed the voice chat since I just now found this announcement.

I, for one, would like to see the Descent Community stay alive via the Descent Bulletin Board. (DBB)

Very thankful that this community has been around during some very very tough times in my life. Things are still tough, but I'll continue to move forward.

Perhaps we could have a weekly, biweekly, or monthly DBB "fireside" voice chats to keep the community thriving long into the future.

SirWinner
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I will gladly donate funds to the DBB as I have already mentioned to KB with no requests in return..

all that matters is a hosted bb that has no issues
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

BUBBALOU wrote:all that matters is a hosted bb that has no issues
or as limited issues as possible, but yes... that is how i think the vast majority feel. :)

i think things are progressing well and in the right direction, and i think people are not feeling pressured, but with so many years invested in the descent community (even if absent for a while), and all the enjoyment i have gotten from the dbb, i feel its the least i can do to donate a little scratch to make sure it runs as well as possible, even for those that don't or can't donate. :D