Random reboot

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Random reboot

Post by Tricord »

I have recently installed a batch of 10 identical, self-assembled computers in an office.

It turns out that these computers will reboot randomly (straight from WinXP to BIOS POST without BS or any other error) from time to time (once or twice a week). Most computers seem to have that problem.

I was wondering if poor power supply could be the reason of this behaviour. Maybe a small drop in voltage (due to a fridge or another power consumer turning on), causing a computer to reboot just like that?

The machines are P4 3.2GHz with Asus motherboards, Kingston memory and minimal setup (onboard VGA, LAN, Sound, etc..)

It's driving me crazy since I can't isolate the problem. The only thing I can think of are poor quality PSU or else their wall outlets are louzy and flukes are causing this problem.

Thoughts?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

What PSU did you use (manufacturer, amperes on 12V and 5V, combined power please)?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Is there an entry in the event log ?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Did you turn off "automatic restart"?

fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Move the machines to another circuit that can handle the amps.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

You might also consider moving to more conservative memory settings to see if that makes a difference (i.e. speed, latency, etc.). For example, if the motherboard permits operating the memory at a different speed from the FSB, you might drop memory speed down a notch. This can do wonders for stability if the memory is marginal with respect to specifications, and even the best manufacturers sometimes have bad or marginal product runs that make it through quality control.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

MD-2389 wrote:Did you turn off "automatic restart"?

hey MD, whats the "XP Pro 160gig" and the "No Execute=OptIn" coding for?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Check to see if the heatsinks are mounted properly. P4's do some strange things when the heatsinks aren't on just right.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ace, "XP Pro 160gig" is just the name he have that option in the NTLDR screen. /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN turns on NX (DEP) protection, which means the memory manager marks the no-execute bit on data that isn't part of a program. This makes 99.9% of buffer overflows impossible.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

DCrazy wrote:Ace, "XP Pro 160gig" is just the name he have that option in the NTLDR screen. /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN turns on NX (DEP) protection, which means the memory manager marks the no-execute bit on data that isn't part of a program. This makes 99.9% of buffer overflows impossible.
assuming you got hardware that supports it(IE any chip since the introduction of the Athlon64).
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Do all the comps reboot at the same time or individually at different times?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

ahhh okay. no i dont have a DEP CPU.
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Also check your house power to make sure you don't have an open ground or a hot/neutral reverse.