64bit descent

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

moreejt
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

64bit descent

Post by moreejt »

I tried to compile d2x-xl on Debian sarge amd64 but ran into issues. Started talking with Dietfrid and am now posting here.

Has anyone else tried to make d2x or d2x-xl work in 64 bit?

First problem I ran into was the requirement of automake 1.5. sarge seems to only have 1.4. 1.5 and 1.7 are listed in my apt-cache but not installable. I'm not going to install unstable packages just to compile a game with might not work anyway.

Running autogen.sh it complains about missing AM_PROG_AS. Is that in automake 1.5 but not in 1.4 perhaps?

Anyway. looking forward to working with others to try to get a 64bit version of descent.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I will install openSUSE 10.0 x86-64 on my home system in the near future and create a 64 bit version.

Btw, the d2x-xl shell scripts and make files are ages old. I don't think 1.5 is unstable.
moreejt
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by moreejt »

I mean unstable in the Debian sense. i could probably get a testing version from etch that 'might' work but the toolchain is supposed to be different and who knows what other depends would be installed as well. it might give me incompatible versions of glibc etc. etc. This is the problem with debian. if the package is less than 3 years old it's probably not in stable.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Time to switch the distro ... :roll:

How about (open)SUSE 10 or (K)Ubuntu?
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

64-bit *nix distros are bad... not as many people have 64 bit processors, and thus they are not developed for as much... therefore it is harder to find software.
moreejt
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by moreejt »

I'm hesitant to continue this topic in this thread because it could become a distro war.

K/Ubuntu is based on debian and might not have the required automake version. even so, that doesn't solve the problem. it would be better to make the compile process work on debian since it is the base of many other distros.

I have tried kubuntu in the past and it was not usuable. I downloaded the latest version but havent installed it yet.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This is not about a distro war. As far as I am concerned, everybody can use the Linux distro (and OS) he/she likes. I don't have much clue of Linux anyway; I mainly work with MS Windows, so this was simply a proposition from hear-say.

I am using openSUSE 10.0 myself and find it working pretty well though, so that's what I would recommend if your distro causes problems.

I have cleaned up the D2X-XL code quite a bit today to remove most of the warning messages; maybe it will already work now on your system (once you get it to compile and link ;)).