Happy new year and all that sh.....

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Happy new year and all that sh.....

Post by Vander »

I had an awesome night bullshiting with my brother and father about all sorts of ★■◆●. This is basically a place holder for me to write some bull★■◆● later. Last Thanksgiving I started a conversation that I never finished. I plan on elaborating on it. Soon.

Sorry KB if my language is embarrassing.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

edited your post, wrote 'poo' instead? and yes, you need to elaborate
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Heh, I love drunken posts in the wrong forum. This can probably be moved to E&C

So last thanksgiving my cousin joined us. She is a Marine, then serving about 30 miles down the road, currently serving abroad. Her friend, also a Marine, joined us as well. After dinner, and many, many alcoholic beverages, her friend started recounting his time in Iraq. This was not the story he soberly previewed earlier at dinner. He said that during a patrol, He and his squad-mates beat up and killed an Iraqi. A "Hodgie" as he said. He was very broken up about it, as if this Iraqi didn't have to die. I asked point blank, "did he have to die?" and he, sobbing at this point, said, "no." For the next hour, we consoled this Marine as he told horrifying stories. This guy was a good guy, yet he did something he couldn't reconcile. He will have demons for the rest of his life.

Last night, while bs'ing with my family, the topic changed to this Marine. The last we knew, he was sent back to Iraq earlier in the year for another tour. My cousin was transferred, and didn't have anymore contact with him.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say, but for someone who doesn't really know anybody in the military, it really made more personal what war does to people. I thought I'd share.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I'll move it at your request, V.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

Vander wrote:Heh, I love drunken posts in the wrong forum. This can probably be moved to E&C

So last thanksgiving my cousin joined us. She is a Marine, then serving about 30 miles down the road, currently serving abroad. Her friend, also a Marine, joined us as well. After dinner, and many, many alcoholic beverages, her friend started recounting his time in Iraq. This was not the story he soberly previewed earlier at dinner. He said that during a patrol, He and his squad-mates beat up and killed an Iraqi. A "Hodgie" as he said. He was very broken up about it, as if this Iraqi didn't have to die. I asked point blank, "did he have to die?" and he, sobbing at this point, said, "no." For the next hour, we consoled this Marine as he told horrifying stories. This guy was a good guy, yet he did something he couldn't reconcile. He will have demons for the rest of his life.

Last night, while bs'ing with my family, the topic changed to this Marine. The last we knew, he was sent back to Iraq earlier in the year for another tour. My cousin was transferred, and didn't have anymore contact with him.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say, but for someone who doesn't really know anybody in the military, it really made more personal what war does to people. I thought I'd share.
I had heard similiar stories from folks I knew who had been in Desert Storm. Makes you think.