Built a model of my house lloyd wright-derived design

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Built a model of my house lloyd wright-derived design

Post by Mobius »

Emma has trouble visualising the interior and exterior of our house design. So, I used my floor plan to create elevations of the house, and from those, I built up 6 sheets which I glued to cardboard to build a model from. It took about 8 hours to build (maybe 6 hours of work to create the elevations). Materials for the job cost $47!

Here's a good pic:

You can check all the elevations and model pics at: http://4sure.co.nz/nzonia -- directory listing is allowed.

Hope you like it. :)

The original house is at http://www.usonia1.com
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Must be a mild climate where this is going up, that wouldn't last a year here in the Upper Midwest! ;)

Nice model building skills, but the paper skirt has already fallen off that paper-doll guy playing pocket-pool in the front window. You need to use better glue!

heh
-\"I'm like, so not quitting D3!\"
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

hah, yeah is your house gonna be owned by Mr Stock Photo, or is it owned by MOBIUS?

you should also have a removable roof so your wife can get a feel for the inner layout. (okok, i just wanna see you try to make origami sofas)

but man, that is a SWEET paper model, you have a gift.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Where's Godzilla?
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

lol @ roid. You crack me up. It does look like a stock photo though with that caliper in the foreground.

Real nice model Mobi. I agree about the removeable roof.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

Here mobius...something the else the wife cant visualize but you can... ;)

:D
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

haha, nice.
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Yea, nice touch JBomb!
-\"I'm like, so not quitting D3!\"
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Awesome JBomb! Thanks. However, if that car is wider than 18mm, then it will be forever locked in the back yard! ;) FYI: There is already a Lamborghini drawn in the garage! HEH.

Sarge, the original home is in Madison, Wisconsin, and it gets pretty damn cold up there. But then again, this house had the world's first, steam-pipe heated concrete slab floor, and \"Thermopane\" (Plate glass), but yeah. that house wasn't particularly warm.

The rooves ARE removable: and inside, all the features and furniture is printed on the floor. The rooves have small carboard squares to locate them correctly onto the model, so that they do not fall off. The top roof is so finely built, that it is retained by pressure fit alone. :)

There's nothing difficult about making a model like this: any F00 can do it. (I mean, I did!) In Photoshop, I simply projected the plan lines, and all that was required was to make the heights of things correct. The 3 degree pitching is easy to calculate: SIN(3) * DISTANCE in metres = the height to increase over that distance.

Once the elevations were done, I simply added a few spare panels of onduline and concrete block, to make up for spaces where the elevations did not show parts of the model I'd need to build.

Had them printed out professionally at 118% of the size, to create a correct 1:100 model parts (That's the scale you can see next to the trees on the back lawn).

Used spray adhesive to glue the printed paper onto 2 thicknesses of cardboard, and then you are good to go. Just about wrecked my index finger having to press so hard making all the cuts - man the roof cardboard was like cutting concrete!
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

Eh...all i'd need is some cardboard..scissors..and glue..

i dunno whatchu talkin bout willis..
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Mobi loves to take the hard way.

a ruler and a knife is what everyone else uses, he throws in trig for the hell of it, and doesn't even use it on all the surfaces he needed to use it on...

\\
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

No, that's actually correct. While I haven't made any models like that, I have had to create site plans when I took Architectural Design. A mat cutter would've actually been the best tool to use, but if you don't have access to one, they're a bit pricey for a one-off project. Looks good, Mobius :)
si vis pacem, para bellum
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Using a ruler, scissors and glue is the hard way. My way was the easy way. You think different - go try it. All I had to do was cut out the elevations, allowing for width of the cardboard when connecting at corners.

The trig was used everywhere it needed to be - thanks Flip.