Wierd issues with PC

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Wierd issues with PC

Post by Vindicator »

My moms computer is having issues. First, the specs:

Shuttle AK38N mobo
XP1500
Fortron 300w PSU (FSP300-60ATV)
etc

The issues started yesterday after the power went out. This computer is on a UPS and it was working fine the day before yesterday. Upon startup the PSU emits a hissing noise, the fan in the PSU doesnt spin, and the computer's fans will spin up but the system wont boot. The PSU reads good on a PSU tester, and the fan spins, but it still hisses. The same thing happens when I tried it in a different computer, in that it worked fine but was hissing.

At this point I've tested the processor (good), motherboard (dead), and the PSU (works but hisses). WTF is up with the PSU? Ive never had one hiss at me before, and I'm really not keen on using it since its makin a noise. Its not the fan making the noise, since I stopped the fan and the noise continued.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Hissing sound from the PSU is definitely not a good sign, pitch it. I wonder if it is still under warranty...
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

*digs through Newegg invoices*

I bought it in March of '04... how long is Fortron's warranty? If its one year like everything else nowadays, I'm SOL.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sounds like the motor in your PSU fan may be going south. You can login to newegg and try to get an RMA issued. They should still allow you to RMA it if you bought it within a year.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

MD-2389 wrote:Sounds like the motor in your PSU fan may be going south. You can login to newegg and try to get an RMA issued. They should still allow you to RMA it if you bought it within a year.
Heh, even MD skimms every once in a while. :P
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by fyrephlie »

Krom wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:Sounds like the motor in your PSU fan may be going south. You can login to newegg and try to get an RMA issued. They should still allow you to RMA it if you bought it within a year.
Heh, even MD skimms every once in a while. :P
quick MD ... what's 2004 minus 2006

hint: it's the exactly 1.999~ !!!! :P

Vindicator, have you tried talking to the PSU to see what's wrong? It might just be upset.

I'm just curious, what kind of hiss? Like gas escaping from a tank, or like a cat in heat, or what?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

fyrephlie wrote: quick MD ... what's 2004 minus 2006

hint: it's the exactly 1.999~ !!!! :P
Oh eat me douchebag. ;) Still not used to it being 2006 yet.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

oh we're all turning 5s into 6s on our paperwork and you know it! :P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re:

Post by AceCombat »

Krom wrote:Hissing sound from the PSU is definitely not a good sign, pitch it. I wonder if it is still under warranty...

which part is it? the rectifiers or the regulators that do that?

sounds like either of those are about to crap out on you. toss it. if its out of warranty, split it apart and save the fan 8) i always save fans from PSU's. keeps me supplied with various size fans for any extra cooling needs i gotta use them for.