Free SRT DVD

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Free SRT DVD

Post by Top Wop »

For those of you into cars, you can order a free dvd on the Dodge SRT.

http://srtadrenalinetour.com/
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I must say Dodge is really coming along very nicely. Now it’s just seeing the upcoming Dodge Challenger in action.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

The Challenger is a sweet car:
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

GM should take note, their so-called GTO was a complete joke. The Camaro is looking ok but still needs some work:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows ... o_concept/
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

The GTO sucks at being a GTO, but the car itself is fine. Then again it was originally australian
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I personally don’t like the way GTO looks.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by fyrephlie »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:I must say Dodge is really coming along very nicely. Now it’s just seeing the upcoming Dodge Challenger in action.
challenger looks great, but it really sucks that they dumped plymouth, and can't re-release it as the 'cuda, like they should. they would get much more name recognition.

camaro looks ok, but not quite camaro like...
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

I swear, if they bring back the Challenger I'll lose all faith in humanity. \"Retro\" designs like that, plus the Mustang, Thunderbird, etc make me want to gag. The originals were classics, but where's the f*cking originality? The other cars on Chrysler's LX platform (300, Magnum, Charger) have distinct styling that isnt shamelessly stolen from the styling departments of 35 years ago. Modern interpretation my ass.

Then if Chevy jumps on the bandwagon with the Camaro... sigh. I'll be sure to look elsewhere when I go carshopping in 10 years.

Oh yeah, how exactly is the GTO a joke? 400hp for just over $30 grand sounds pretty serious to me.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

i'm with you on that to a point....

i am so torn with the 'modern retro' designs, because the oringals are classic. they were great, and many of these NEW ones look awesome!

something to mention in regards to originality: IT'S DEAD! Or at least dying. Which is really sad, but such is the way of the world now. Remake an old TV show into a movie, ripoff a classic story and call it new, redesign classic cars, make a sequel....

I don't know if the world is just afraid to try something new, or if the masses are so damn ignorant that they won't let them. Seems like when there is an original idea, people jump on it screaming that it isn't like this, or they didn't do that, and everyone seems afraid to praise it.

/end rant
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Part of it is the baby boomers, who are getting past 60 years old and want to relive the glory days of their youth (and have the money to do so). I dont deny that the Mustang and Challenger are great looking cars, but I wouldnt be caught dead in one on principle alone.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by fyrephlie »

Vindicator wrote:Part of it is the baby boomers, who are getting past 60 years old and want to relive the glory days of their youth (and have the money to do so). I dont deny that the Mustang and Challenger are great looking cars, but I wouldnt be caught dead in one on principle alone.
hehe... says the guy with a grover avatar! :P

I know what you mean, this is why I am so torn as to what I feel about the 'modern retro' desgin.

I would be curious to see demographic info on who is buying these things. I would also like to find out exactly WHO is designing them too... but I am too lazy to look into it. :)
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

Vindicator wrote:Oh yeah, how exactly is the GTO a joke? 400hp for just over $30 grand sounds pretty serious to me.
The design alone is an insult to the true GTO name.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by fyrephlie »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:
Vindicator wrote:Oh yeah, how exactly is the GTO a joke? 400hp for just over $30 grand sounds pretty serious to me.
The design alone is an insult to the true GTO name.
if it didn't have the GTO name plate on it... it would be a pretty sweet car.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

LOL. When was a muscle car ever supposed to be pretty.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I like the retro styling in some of these new cars because you look at them and they have a kind of personality to them. You look at a Charger and its got that mean look when you see the front. In many ways the Charger reminds me of my 93 Bonneville, its got the similar persona to them.

Originality? If they didnt make the cars look so boring im for it. There's bland styling in cars these days except for the ones going retro. Exception is the recent Chrystler 300.

The GTO is a sweet car, but its not a GTO. 400 HP for 30 grand is freakin' sweet, but its just an import with the GTO name slapped on for marketing which makes it a cheap rip-off from the actual model built by Holden. \"Hey, lets take a popular and good car sold in another contry and sell it here, and while were at it instead of carrying over the same model name lets just slap on the GTO tag and see if those old folks who used to drive them will buy them.\" And boy did they reject them! Even so, the styling is bland like the rest. The GTO name recalls the personality associated with the GTO, the name and the car simply doesn't fit. I hear they are re-designing the GTO for next year so im curious what will come out of it.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I had a Bonneville once but mine was an 85. God I miss that car, that thing had horn on that made most drivers jump or take off real fast.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

I dunno...i kinda like the \"new/old look\"...

:D

That challenger is wicked btw...
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

No matter which way you plug the numbers into a computer - they always spit the same set of answers back, as concerns car design. There are only a limited number of body shapes which are efficient, good to look at and can be built economically.

Cars have been built for neigh on 100 years. Care to take a guess as to how many body shapes have been produced in that time?

EVERY possible body shape has been explored, given the limitations mentioned above - so it is no surprise that good looking designs from previous generations of vehicles are being revisited with a modern eye, modern materials, and new technology. What's wrong with that?

Personally, I have nothing against this at all. Have you seen the Lamborghini Muira concept? (It's often said it is the most beautiful car in the world - and conincidentally, completely designed, from the ground up, by a New Zealander.) It looks fantastic.

If it sold well in the sixties, a new take on it will probably sell well today too.

The GOOD thing about US manufacturers going back to the drawing board with many muscle car designs, is that these cars will probably actually be genuinely good - instead of the crap you guys used to THINK was good. (When in fact all they could do was go fast in a straight line, and drink gas like there was no tomorrow.)

The new designs will actually go round corners properly, work efficiently at low speeds, save people in a crash, and on top of that, they'll look great too.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Mobi make a awful lot of sense. Now if they would only retro a 58 chevy I'd be in heaven.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I wasn't a gleam in anyone's eye at the time the originals of these designs were all created, so I'm about as happy as anyone can be to seem them resurrected. It's not like you see a '67 'Stang like Clutch's rolling down the road every day, but with these new designs, you get to see something inspired by it on a daily basis. It's infinitely better than looking at the nauseating world of cookie-cutter sedans, boring minivans, and ugly-ass SUVs. Add to that great performance at a very reasonable, practically bargain, price, and I really don't see why anyone could object. I think today's designers are going back to those looks because they represent the best of American muscle car design, an ideal that any car in that category should have to live up to. I've always had a pipe dream of owning and restoring a classic car, but since I know absolutely nothing about automobiles, I figure that buying one of these models is the closest thing I can get. I fell in love with the new Mustang the first day I saw it, and it's still my dream car. Maybe someday...