The Great Marauder 'mech Mystery

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

The Great Marauder 'mech Mystery

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Since there's no topic(I think) about the unseen lawsuit 'mechs, I decide to make one.

Now on to the story(for those who don't know why the Marauder was removed from Battletech):
Like around the Mid 1990's, my favorite 'mech, the Marauder, suddenly disappear. When I first played Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries and got the revised edition of the 3050 Technical Readout and I see no Marauders! Where did it go? I was in a loss.

Battletech was inspired by Japanese anime and manga of giant robots beating the crap out of eachother. When the game was first published under the name of \"Battledroids\", the fledging FASA corporation was nearly sued by Lucasfilm, Ltd. for their usage of the word 'Droid'. FASA's meager legal division was swamped by the regiments at Lucas's fingertips. After a quick re-write, Battletech was born, with a Warhammer, guns blazing, striding across the box front in 1985. To jump-start its game, as well as keep the anime feel, FASA used the robot designs from three anime programs: Macross, Crusher Joe, and Dougram.

Meanwhile in the mid-1990's, FASA argues that they had permission from various Japanese production companies to use their designs. Harmony Gold, the producers of Robotech(the Americanized version of Macross), argued otherwise. As the legal forces of both relatively new and relatively strong companies poised for battle, FASA again pulled the better part of valor and settled out of court, removing the Macross-based designs from future publications but keeping the designs in the history of the Battletech universe.

So disappeared the Wasp, Stinger, Valkyrie, Ostscout, Phoenix Hawk, Rifleman, Ostroc, Ostsol, Crusader, Archer, Warhammer, and Marauder.

The Marauder 'mech was turned out to be Khyron's Battle Pod in Robotech.

and for a bonus:
Yet the Thunderbolt, Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Locust and the venerable BattleMaster remained>. The WZISS had lost its greatest lead. Extensive research of Robotech and Macross archives revealed nothing that even remotely resembled the lost BattleMaster. The next target of operations was Crusher Joe.

After some searching, the Locust was discovered to be some sort of combat robot in the Crusher Joe anime series. That was it. The lead dried up again. The only hope left was Dougram.

After the Search, they dropped off the Dougram Designs:
BattleTech = Sun's Fang Dougram
----------------------- ------------------
BLR-1G BattleMaster = Soltic HT-128 Bigfoot
GOL-1H Goliath = Abitate F44A CrabGunner
GRF-1N Griffin = Soltic H8-RF Roundfacer
SCP-1N Scorpion = Abitate F35C BlizzardGunner
SHD-2H ShadowHawk = D-7 Dougram (JAKT Type)
TDR-5S Thunderbolt = Hasty F4X Ironfoot
WVR-6R Wolverine = Abitate T-10C Blockhead

My brother told me that the Marauder was removed due to copyright issues.

Meanwhile in 2003 the Marauder was remade into a \"Reseen\" 'mech with an all new appearance.
here's a pic of the \"Reseen\" Marauder:
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Yea it was a shame, that was my favorite Mech. Warhammer and Rifeman were good too.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

moral of the story... Dark Falcon loves him some 'mechs...

makes me wonder why i never got into the mechwarrior thang....
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

My personal favorite is the Warhawk
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Known to some of us as the Masakari.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

or a cross between Daishi and Masakari (my fav)

The problem with Mech was it was a snipe/boat fest. For those of us that preferred something a bit less stratigic and enjoyed the stupid thing of pounding on each other face to face, the former came very frustrating. I prefer a Uler with to Clan ER Lg. >:) Not deadly, but in certain CTF maps proved Very annoying. ;)

Ever notice that there was a reload time on the kamkazi packs? :lol:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Erm... Duper - the BTech lineup is quite a bit wider than just MW4. :) But yeah, MW4 was a bit of a flawed game in the end. People tried to improve it with various mods, but they still don't have it perfect.

I must say, I'm kind of surprised to see so many people here who even know about this material - didn't think it was all that popular in the Descent community. Still, it is interesting to see.

The Reseen designs are in some cases better (or at least more in keeping with the theme of modern BattleTech) than the originals - although for some mechs, such as the Marauder, I'd just write it down to \"different\". The original Marauder was very distinctive, and there wasn't really much wrong with it.

Personal favourite mech would be the Turkina, especially the B and D variants. Various reasons, but the fact that it's simply overpowered accounts for most of it. :)

P.S. I miss high explosives. I know they were annoying as hell (especially if you were going no respawn and took them as backup weapons; much hate for it), but they were fun to deal out. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

a buddy of mine and I once dropped into a NH/UA server and dished it out BIG TIME. We created an \"Arty-fountain\". you get a Loki, strip it down and load out every slot possible with artillery beacons. >:) You then load it out with whatever you want. You get the monster mechs out there.. the Sunders and the Daishi's loaded to the gills. .. well.. you're a good bit faster than them and many are just nose to nose slugging it out .. you run by and drop 4 arty beacons at their feet and run!! when a Daishi gets hit with aritlery, it immoblzes them for a couple of seconds and they can move. >:) .. ya piss a lot of guy off and then you just run around with your torso facing them dropping arty beacons at thier feet (leading the drop so they get hit.).. TOOO much fun.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: The Great Marauder 'mech Mystery

Post by roid »

Dark Falcon wrote:Now on to the story(for those who don't know why the Marauder was removed from Battletech):
Like around the Mid 1990's, my favorite 'mech, the Marauder, suddenly disappear. When I first played Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries and got the revised edition of the 3050 Technical Readout and I see no Marauders! Where did it go? I was in a loss.
wouldn't that make you 3-8 yrs old or so at the time?
man, i wish i had a "favourite mech" when i was that age. iirc ninja turtles were the ★■◆● at the time though
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Been so long since I played a MW game I'd forgotten all the classes. 'Course with me forgetting things is quite easy.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Mech 4 was very flawed in nearly every way. Mechwarrior 2 31'st century combat accelerated on the S3 ViRIGE on the other hand was teh ★■◆● man. So was Mech2 Mercs.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Yeah, I consider the Marauder the most powerful mech, though there were other good ones ... :roll: ... really liked it.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

to Roid: call me crazy but, I was like about 6 or 7 when I first played MW2.

anyways my other favorite mechs besides the 3 Marauders are: the Madcat Mk II, the Blood Asp(gotta love its 2004 or Mechcommander 2 appearance), Supernova, Kodiak, Behemoth/StoneRhino, Battlemaster, Warhammer IIC, thats all I can think of.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I liked the original Nova aka Black Hawk. >:)