Looking for recommendations on an LCD

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Looking for recommendations on an LCD

Post by Plague »

I am looking at getting a 19\" LCD as a second monitor. I already have a CRT for gaming, so I'll mostly be using it for Windows applications. I was looking to spend $300-400. What are some good brands/models?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Samsung
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

If you can find the coupons you can get the Dell 2005fpw 20\" widescreen for under $400. I have one and it's great.
Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Plague »

I'm looking at these two now:

- DELL UltraSharp 1905FP
- Samsung 940B

I think I have a floormate who has the Dell, and I'm going to see if I can get him to let me have a good look at it. Has anyone had a good look at that Samsung model? All the reviews I could find were very solid.
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I have a Samsung 930b I use here for gaming and I love it. At my last job they got me the Samsung 204t and that thing rocked for work. It was huge and it rotated as well. I wish I had one of those at my new job.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Re:

Post by Iceman »

Mobius wrote:Samsung
Rawks
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

the samsung is worth shelling out the extra cash (based on the $300-400 proposal), while i haven't been able to invest in one (or the 25 or so i would want around the house lol), i have used them at friends, sold them to clients, and had one at a job i was at for a little while, and have REALLY REALLY dug 'em. Samsung is teh suck for some of their stuff... but they seem to have the LCD monitor thing DOWN!!! w00t w000t post too long!
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I have a Samsung 930b (8ms response time) and I see definate blurring in Descent3. Compared to a CRT, it can vary from somewhat to very difficult to see an opponent. Especially in a tank, moving fast, with the shake. It's pretty good for most other games, but I'd like a faster monitor for Descent-style games.

The Samsung 930bf on the other hand is supposed to have a 4ms (gray-to-gray) response time. I'm looking forward to checking one of these out :)
Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Plague »

The only difference I can see between the 940B and the 930BF is the response time and the brightness. The 940 is brighter while the 930 has a 4ms response time rather than 8ms. Is that a big enough difference to warrant paying $50 more for a monitor that isn't as bright (please note again that I already have a great CRT for gaming)?
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by fyrephlie »

Plague wrote:The only difference I can see between the 940B and the 930BF is the response time and the brightness. The 940 is brighter while the 930 has a 4ms response time rather than 8ms. Is that a big enough difference to warrant paying $50 more for a monitor that isn't as bright (please note again that I already have a great CRT for gaming)?

that is a really tough decision to make... how important is taht $50 to you? if you are thinking in terms of it being 'just $50' then go for it, if you are thinking, 'damn thats a tank or two of gas' then move down.

also... i myself hate 'highly' bright monitors. it's a strain on the eyes, shortens lifespan, and does nothing to 'improve' picture. so for only $50 more you can get much faster response, with an equally tight picture, and a 'usable' brightness.... seems like the way to go for me, but it is ultimately your call. :)
Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Plague »

I think I'm gonna go for the 930BF. Now for the last question. What is considered a good pixel policy? Samsung won't replace the monitor until it has 10 or more bad pixels. Newegg wants at least 8. ZipZoomFly will replace if 3 dead pixels are in the center (2\"x2\"), 4 pixels on the rest, or 6 total.

I was thinking that the last one would be the best, even though the price for the monitor is $25 more than at several other stores that I found.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Honestly dead pixels aren't that big of a problem, I've seen a lot of LCDs with no dead pixels at all. But even if you have a dead pixel or a stuck pixel once you get used to it you don't even notice them anymore. It is like AG lines on a CRT, at first you notice them but after a day or so you forget they are there and don't even see them anymore unless you look for them.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I'd do a little research on that monitor and see how they measured the response time. Some measure black to white, some grey to grey and some black to white and back to black again. Lastly, make sure the thing has a DVI jack. I'd be very suprised if any modern video card doesn't have a DVI output.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Amen on the DVI, it automatically fixes 99% of the tiny adjustments it takes to make an analog signal on a LCD line up and look right. But if you are going DVI, unless you get the latest and greatest widescreen Dell monitor which supports some DRM function, you won't be able to watch high def video on it.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by WarAdvocat »

MD-2389 wrote:I'd do a little research on that monitor and see how they measured the response time. Some measure black to white, some grey to grey and some black to white and back to black again.
uhh...
WarAdvocat wrote:The Samsung 930bf on the other hand is supposed to have a 4ms (gray-to-gray) response time. I'm looking forward to checking one of these out :)
Gray to gray (supposedly) is the best measure of 'real-world' performance. Or something.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

no duh WA. However, if you noticed I wasn't replying to YOU. I was making a reply for Plague here to do research on LCD monitors he's interested in.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

uh huh. If it makes you feel better ;)
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

lawl