D2X-XL + Voodoo5 5500 & Win 98SE.

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D2X-XL + Voodoo5 5500 & Win 98SE.

Post by Gold Leader »

Hello all

Today I have been testing the Voodoo5 D2X-XL with Descent2 and still no sucess only with saved games there is no problem, but when I start a new game I get the intro and then I can choose my Pilot that all goes very well, then I start a new game, then you get to see the intro and after that the system rejects to go on and sends me back to Windows.

here is my setup:

well I got it working on my Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64MB with the latest Raziel64 Evolution Driver and MesaFX 6.2.0.2 for the OpenGL32.dll

but it seems that when I start or finnish a game the cutscenes won't run instead if running them the games moves me directly back to Windows desktop.

here my system configs:

AMD AthlonXP Barton 2600+
ASUS A7V333-R Rev 1.04
1x 512Mb PC-2700 Samsung Original
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64MB Rev.A 2500
C-Media Sound card

AMD AthlonXP Thoroughbred-B 2700+
EPoX EP-8K5A2 Rev 1.2
1x 512Mb PC-3200 @ PC-2700 Kingston Value Ram
3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A 3700
SB live! 1024 5.1 Sound card

Raziel64 Evolution Driver
Expert Edition V1.01.16 (Lite)
http://www.traumatic.de/pphlogger/dlcou ... lpha33.zip

Koolsmokey's Voodoo Control Ver 1,82Beta as control pannel for the Voodoo5
http://www.traumatic.de/pphlogger/dlcou ... -v182b.zip

Windows 98SE NL + Unofficial Sefvice PAck 2.03.
http://faq.tweakers.net/wos/hosted/win98/sesp203nl.exe

here the english one, which is version 2.1a:
http://download.freewarefiles.com/files/sesp21a-en.exe
Direct X 9.0c

I used this version of D2X on my Descent2 1.0
http://www.descent2.de/resources/d2x-xl-w32-1.5.91.zip

anyways is there something I did wrong maybe? I also used the High settings for the movie quallity, I gave that a go also with and without High settings also by enableing and disabling the undertitile for the films.

That didn't help either. What does work is when I play a movie in the menu it's self, but even when I create a new piolt and I want to start a new single player game the games won't start instead I land in the Windows desktop.

As a 3dfx card tester and fan programming isn't my thing but hey I'll give it a shot that's what we're here for :)

Within a few days I'll test it on the Voodoo5 5000 AGP and Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypes as Well that is gonna be great fun if it will work in the propper way hehe :)

FSAA x8 on the 6000 and FSAA x4 on the smallest Voodoo5 in the world the Voodoo5 5000 AGP :) well I'll keep you updated on that.

hmm is there a way to make Screenshots? because If I use the Printscreen key I get a corrupted picture when I paste the captured screen in MS Paint, unless there is another way like in Unreal Tournament, where you press F9 and open the captures with Windows Imaging hehe.

well I tested the nomovies without a number and no effect and with 0 I get the intro movie after that I get in the main menu then I start a new game can also choose start a new single player game well I ashume that is the same thingy :)

well the intro of the level plays after that I get trown back to windows.

with the nomovies 1 setting I get no movies but also same problem i get trown back to windows.

Sorry it's all too new for me hehe normally I like play'n around in Descent 1 , 2 and 3 in old style hehe D3's good look'n with FSAA x4 though @ 1024 x 768 x 16 in Glide, only also the same prob with the screenshots. Hehe the games are from the same bloke that made them hehe.

and is there also a different way to make screenshots ? because If I use the printscreen key and paste the shots in paint I get a scrambled up screen.

Well I know it's a long post but I hope that there are some answers here as karx11erx advised me to go here because this is The Place to be for Descent trouble shooting :)

Cheers,

Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Blue-Leader: Dual Six-Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0, 4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Supermicro H8DAE-2
Firefox: Dual Two-Core AMD OpteronDP 285 E6, 4x 2048MB PC-3200 ECC Reg HP/Micron Server Ram, ASUS K8N-DL
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hi Obi-Wan,

welcome to the DBB. :)

I assume you are using the retail game data, not the demo or shareware data. If not, that would already be the reason for your problems.

I see two potential causes here:

- Win98

Do you have a friend with a WinXP machine nearby who would allow you to put your V5500 into his machine and see whether D2X-XL runs with that config?

- V5500

Do you have a chance to plug another gfx card into your machine (e.g. a GF MX 400, of GF FX 5200), install the proper drivers and see whether this works?

For screenshots press Alt+F9 (to allow for screenshots while in a menu, download v1.5.93).

Oh yeah, one more thing: Please post D2X-XL stuff in the D2X-XL forum, ok? :)

Diedel (karx11erx)
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

well actually I'm from www.falconfly-central.de there we do everything with Voodoo cards

we collect them, we test drivers, and we try to run everygame possible on them, even the Prototypes have thier runs.

and Win98SE seems to be the best OS for the 3dfx cards, unless Win2K shouldn't be a problem.

WinXP is the worst OS for 3dfx cards, since there were never original drivers made for that OS the 3rd party ones don't work that well. not every Glide game is supporten in XP, but 2000 shouldn't be a problem.

anyways Idid get Descent 1 running on the 5500 and 6000 silly that Descent2 does not run.

with WinXP Pro I can't get Descent2 installed I have all Descent series original in boxed format. My descent2 version is the one with the PyroGX as boxart.

when I want to install that under XP it won't install properly the setup program say's you don't have enough diskspace lol yeah right I have like 9.7 GB of free space left over :roll: and under 98SE no prob's at all, my experience with XP is also very bad.

So what I'll do is copy the win98SE installed Descent2 folder to my WinXP based Laptop :| and see from there what will happen.

My Laptop has a Mobillity Radeon 9800 256MB an R420 with 8 pipes and 4 Vertex units, that should work otherwise I would have to give it a shot on the Dual opteron with GeForce 6800GT and Voodoo5 5500 PCI of course, sorry but 3dfx is still in my blood ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I know where you're from. ;)

Actually you can simply copy your D2 installation from a Win98 machine to your XP machine and install D2X-XL there. It should work fine then, as it completely replaces the Descent 2 executable and doesn't use its config files either.

I am a programmer, and Win XP is the best OS Microsoft has ever released (and I find it pretty good, to take away the relativity from that statement :)).
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gold Leader »

Diedel wrote:I know where you're from. ;)

Actually you can simply copy your D2 installation from a Win98 machine to your XP machine and install D2X-XL there. It should work fine then, as it completely replaces the Descent 2 executable and doesn't use its config files either.
okay thank you for your help Diedel ;)
well on my Laptop it runs's fluid at a very insane reso :)
1920 x 1200 x32 everything set to max settings FSAA x6 AF x16 :)

Windows XP is a OS for new GFX cards as for 3dfx cards it the worst you could possibly think of ;) I'm a 3dfx Prototype collecter and tester we recommend Win98SE & Win2K pro, the Voodoo5 5000 AGP x4 does not work in 3D in XP but it does work in 3D in 98SE and 2K pro, because what most people forget is that there were never 3dfx drivers made for XP, it is highly reccomended to test 3dfx Prototypes under 98SE or 2000 and no other OS they will simply not work.

Hank Semenec has advised me this he was the man behind the Daytona and Rampage project, he's the man that helped 3dfx design the Rampage. ;)
May The Force be With You ;)
PUFFER1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by PUFFER1 »

why dont u just use the 3dfx drivers version 1.06 and use the 3dfx exe to run it that will work
FHG
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by FHG »

Hi, I read this Topic by excident and tried it out, because my configuration is quite near to Obi Wans

Athlon XP 3200
GeForce 6800GT
Voodoo 5 5500

Multibootsystem XP / ME / 98
and I get the following results:
D2X-W32 1.4.51 and D2X-XL 1.4.104 runs with every OS and the GeForce.
D2X-W32 1.4.51 and D2X-XL 1.4.104 runs with NO OS and the Voodoo.

I am really sorry, because I am a great fan of the Voodoo-technology even it is a little bit old today and you are a lucky guy, that you own one of the few BETA 5 6000 which are full-functional.
But this is the point...the only thing that changes in my Configuration was the primary VGA-Card between Voodoo and GeForce.
It seems that D2X-XL and Voodoo´s do not work together.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

did you guys try disabling the -GLwhatever commands in the ini file? The 3dfx cards don't really like openGL even with the wrappers.

Disable all GL commands and give it a go.