AVG Anti Vitus Questions

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

AVG Anti Vitus Questions

Post by Cuda68-2 »

I have a Linux box I use as a file server. It has a 300 Gig, Samba, NTFS file share on it. Since creating the NTFS file share I have had repeated problems with worms and trojans paying homage to me.
So... My question is will the Linux AVG client scan/clean and protect the NTFS file share?

I sent an email to them about this already and I am waiting a responce from them but was wondering if anyone here has any experiance or thoughts to share.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Now granted a linux antivirus program probably does not have much to do when actively protecting a system from w32 worms and trojans, but they should still detect and be able to clean them since w32 is the most common type of virus/worm out there. I could be wrong, but it would be a bit silly to code an antivirus program that only detects and cleans linux viruses. If linux can read and write to the NTFS volume I see no reason why the antivirus program couldn't scan and clean it.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

writing to NTFS is unsupported under linux. unless you are connecting the linux box to another windows machine, you have clarifying to do.
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Cuda68-2 »

fliptw wrote:writing to NTFS is unsupported under linux. unless you are connecting the linux box to another windows machine, you have clarifying to do.
It's a Samba - NTFS file share. I would go into details, but the short of it is that it fakes out clients into believing its an NTFS share when its not. The point is I have a Linux box, Mandrake 9 - 2.4 kernel - running Samba to emulate NTFS which gets slammed with the W32 virus - will a linux AV protect it or do I need to run wine and install my norton, which would be way ugly. Think I would change the Linux share to emulate another file system first.

But I think Krom is right on the money.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by fyrephlie »

fliptw wrote:writing to NTFS is unsupported under linux. unless you are connecting the linux box to another windows machine, you have clarifying to do.
umm... i write to NTFS under SUSE quite easily thank you very much...
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Are all the freeware versions of this time limited? I was thinking of installing the freeware ver to see how it will do but they seem to be limited to 30 days only.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Cuda, AVG Free is exactly that. its a completely Free, no time limit Virus Scanner. it does remove some flexability options reserved for the pro version, but its just as powerful as the pro version.

i just noticed the topic title, but whats a \"Vitus\" :twisted: