XL-Updater (D2X-XL Auto-Update Tool)

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

XL-Updater (D2X-XL Auto-Update Tool)

Post by Kirby »

XL-Updater 0.1 \"Really Early Alpha\" Released
Windows-Only Release

Installation & Use:
- copy 'xl-updater' into your D2X-XL root folder, then run ;)

a few things to note:
1) 'data' folder support is not yet complete....currently, everything will be extracted to the main folder
2) JRE 1.5 is required
3) The GUI sucks at the moment...I'm doing my best w/o using a layout manager :P
4) Must have D2X-XL 1.5.99 or later for checking to work correctly (will soon have the program download/install a new version automatically if -print_version switch is not avaliable)
5) I am well aware the Close button does not work....use the X button in the meantime ;)
6) Some junk files are still left behind after program termination....if you need a really clean PC 24/7, feel free to delete 'd2x-xl.zip' and 'd2x-xl-version.txt' after each run
7) progress bar does not work (need to read up on Threads to get this working)

Basically...I wanna see if all the basics are down before I start tweaking ;) Well then....

Download:
http://rapidshare.de/files/11845306/xl-updater.zip.html
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

What is an MD5 check?

Auto-Update would require me to implement ftp/http communication in d2x-xl. No way, man!
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Kirby »

Sirius wrote:Honestly, no cockpit is better anyway. ;)
take that back :o

Diedel.....I need to talk with you in real-time somehow. I heard you use IRC, so just name the server and channel ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

We can talk, but only at 22:00 GMT+1 or later (which would be about 3 hours from when I am typing this). We can meet in the Descent channel (I am using Vortex to visit it).
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Kirby »

Diedel wrote:We can talk, but only at 22:00 GMT+1 or later (which would be about 3 hours from when I am typing this). We can meet in the Descent channel (I am using Vortex to visit it).
which server/channel??? :/ there are 2
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

We can use descentforum.net, that's the one with the best availability. I am already in there.
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

that was teh fun :lol:

while I was talking with you, I noticed a big flaw with how I created the GUI (guess it doesn't like me adding ActionListeners to static objects)...no probs though, I'll put in more than 1 hour this time :D

but yeah, if you could implement that command line switch for me, that would be a big help :)

edit> K....rewritten the GUI, got the ActionListeners to work....just waiting now on the switch :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Where should the output go to: stdout? text file?
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Kirby »

Diedel wrote:Where should the output go to: stdout? text file?
stdout will do fine :)

need to start thinking about how to check/download the current version that is on the servers....I got some ideas, but it might require you to do something a little(little little) extra for every release :/

Some current ideas
1)Less bandwidth idea: maybe put a small text file on the servers....put the most recent version number in there....should only take up bytes of bandwidth for the check.

2)More bandwidth idea: do releases as you normally do....every time a version check is queried, that whole archive is downloaded, unpacked, "--version"ed, and if it is newer, overwritten on top of the old version. Dial-up people will hate this, cause it will always download 600KB even if no update is avaliable :/
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

All you'd need to do is to examine d2x.html for the package file names, as they all now contain the current version number.
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Kirby »

Diedel wrote:All you'd need to do is to examine d2x.html for the package file names, as they all now contain the current version number.
ooohhh....that's even better ^^

might think about putting a changelog viewer right into the GUI, but I wanna get the basics down first :P
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

Just a little update:

I got checking for the server's current version working (dunno how though....that part of code is extremely messy....it'll work for now, but I gotta change it if I want it to support multiple OSes :lol: ).....it checks the version in the download link

now please...implement that switch for me :)
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

Another update on my project \"XL-Updater\" (I have such creativity :P )

Everything is pretty much done for a open beta release....got checking server version, downloading, and unzipping working...now all that's left to do is to (once again) bug Diedel for a --version switch and implement that.....

so bug him now :wink:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

:shock:

okay okay! :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Kirby,

d2x-xl v1.5.99 will print the version string into a file named 'd2x-xl-version.txt' in the data folder (application folder if no data folder present), when called with switch '-print_version' and will then immediately terminate.
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Kirby »

Diedel wrote:Kirby,

d2x-xl v1.5.99 will print the version string into a file named 'd2x-xl-version.txt' in the data folder (application folder if no data folder present), when called with switch '-print_version' and will then immediately terminate.
:o :o :o

Thanks for bringing up the different folders D2X-XL supports....I totally forgot about that, cause right now everything unzips into the main folder.

I hope java.io provides a directory method :wink:

edit> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api ... tml#exists()

looks like I got lucky :P I LOVE JAVA!!! ^^
Nikolai
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nikolai »

Diedel wrote:d2x-xl v1.5.99 will print the version string into a file named 'd2x-xl-version.txt' in the data folder (application folder if no data folder present), when called with switch '-print_version' and will then immediately terminate.
Well, I know that I'm little bit late... But if someone will need to do a version check (of something else), here is the source of tiny program that can do it (written for the Nullsoft Install System on its script language):

Code: Select all

OutFile "d2x_ver.exe"
SilentInstall silent
Section ""
  GetDllVersion "d2x-xl.exe" $R0 $R1
  IntOp $R2 $R0 / 0x00010000
  IntOp $R3 $R0 & 0x0000FFFF
  IntOp $R4 $R1 / 0x00010000
  ClearErrors
  FileOpen $0 "d2x-xl-version.txt" w
  IfErrors done
  FileWrite $0 "$R2.$R3.$R4"
  FileClose $0
  done:
SectionEnd
Compile, put it in your application folder, execute and it will do the same thing as d2x-xl v1.5.99 with '-print_version' switch.
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

May I also note that people may not want their d2x.ini file overwritten, specially if it has player name in it to start automatically.

Maybe check the date of the unpacking ini file against the existing one and if newer, display both so new ini lines can be copied across. (Or something like that)
Pilot from Oz
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Kirby »

Who made this into a topic???? :lol:
Weyrman wrote:May I also note that people may not want their d2x.ini file overwritten, specially if it has player name in it to start automatically.
I don't think ANYONE wants their d2x.ini file overwritten....I will probably exclude this file from being extracted by default, and add a option later if someone so happens to request it for some odd reason :roll:
Well, I know that I'm little bit late... But if someone will need to do a version check (of something else), here is the source of tiny program that can do it (written for the Nullsoft Install System on its script language):
getting the DLL Version was my first idea, but this would of only worked for Windows users....using a switch just seems more versatile
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Kirby wrote:Who made this into a topic???? :lol:
Me. ;)
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

Just released my first version (wheee!!!! ^^) Just wanna see if the bare minimum works for people at least :P

*look up*

also /r/ (requesting) topic renamed back to 'XL-Updater' and stickied
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Why do you want to rename it to \"XL\"-Updater, when it's for \"D2X-XL\"? You can do that yourself by editing your first post, btw. I won't hinder you, though questioning decisions of mine in this forum area can have unforeseeable consequences ... :roll: (ooooh, the feeling of MOD POWAH! :twisted: )
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Kirby »

Diedel wrote:Why do you want to rename it to "XL"-Updater, when it's for "D2X-XL"? You can do that yourself by editing your first post, btw. I won't hinder you, though questioning decisions of mine in this forum area can have unforeseeable consequences ... :roll: (ooooh, the feeling of MOD POWAH! :twisted: )
There....now we can both live happily ever after :P
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

HELLO!!!! can I have some testers here??? :D

request as a sticky please :)